Register

Spanish Churros (Fried Fritter Pastry Snacks)

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Spanish Churros (Fried Fritter Pastry Snacks)

Postby Alexandria » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:27 pm

This evening due to all the documentation work that we had, we decided to stay in and have churros a fave breakfast snack for a bite .. :yum :yum :yum

Churros are predominately a choux based snack that Spaniards dip into thick hot chocolate .. The history, is questionable, as some believe they were prepared by Shepherds of yester year on open fires and others claim they were brought by the Portuguese from China and made their way into neighboring Spain and Ibero - America where they are also quite popular .. None the less, regardless of where they originated, they are the most popular breakfast snack in Spain and adored by almost the entire population ..

Here is how they are prepared in our family ..

Recipe: 4 people / 2 dozen Churros ..

250 ml. bottled water
Salt to taste ( a pinch or 2 )
20 grams of Asturian Butter
50 grams of sugar
Required Tool: A Pipette Shaped Pastry Glove with a large Nozzle called a Churrera
120 Grams of flour of choice

1) In a casserole type pot, place the water, salt and the butter and simmer on medium high until it begins to boil.
2) Add the flour ( lower flame or heat ) and with a wooden spatula, stir the mixture until the texture is free of lumps and forms a dough and is smooth yet thick like dough.
3) Now place the dough in a large glass bowl, and let it cool ( cover the bowl ) ..
4) When the dough has cooled down and you can handle it, place the dough into a Baker´s Pipette Pastry Glove with a large Nozzle .. One can add a bit more water to it, to enable this function .. Yet maintaining the thickness.
5) Take some Spanish Evoo and drizzle the oil into a large skillet ..
6) With the Pastry Glove, press on the glove to pipe out or create thick lines of approx. 6 to 8 inch length swirls of dough and sauté until golden and crisp ..
7) Remove the golden crisp Churros and place them on kitchen paper towelling and drain the Evoo ..
8) When ready to serve, sprinkle with a little sugar and / or dip into Spanish Hot Chocolate ..

Heaven on earth and a lovely lovely snack ..

Have a nice weekend .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Spanish Churros (Fried Fritter Pastry Snacks)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:18 am

I loved churros as a child holidaying in Spain
Not really to my taste as an adult, and not something I’d make at home

Half the fun is watching the machine shake the churros into the hot oil, much like watching the doughnut and apple fritter machines in the funfair when I was a chikd

Postby Renee » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:17 am

Those are so delicious Member 461! I have happy memories of having them on a Vancouver market, but I daren't go near them these days.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:59 am

Renée & Sue, :thumbsup :thumbsup

They are heaven and we so rarely indulge in this " not so healthy snack " however, they were heaven !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I use bio flour and no sugar. I melted some chocolate .. We were doing office work at home as there is just so much of it, when you own a business and we are preparing for the National Holiday Circuit Trips for the long weekend December 5th - December 9th ..

The 5th, everyone Works 1/2 a day ..
The 6th, Thursday, is Constitution Day. This holiday dates back to both the original 1566 and the 1800s.
The 7th, Friday, is what we call a "Puente" (bridge) and no one works except in the hospitality sector and emergency services.
The 8th falls on a Saturday and it is Saint Immaculate Day ( Santa Immaculata de Los Militares), the Saint of The Military.

They are sold at Street Fairs I recall in Habana, Cuba ( Havana ) and also in Bajo de California, Cabo de San Luca .. On the Cortez Sea & The Confluence of the Pacific Ocean .. As well as Key West, Florida ..

The best we have ever had are in the Madrid Capital just behind The Saint Gines Church, called Santa Gines Churreria .. This establishment dates back to the 1700s .. It is packed at all hours, and is renowned .. They only have Churros, Hot Chocolate and Caffés ..

Many people prepare them by machine and sell them at outdoor fairs or shopping centres.

They are truly popular .. :yum :yum

Thank you for all your feedback and have a lovely day .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:41 am

There is a man who makes churros in the market and they are far, far too good. I have made them at home for the GCs They then dip them in melted chocolate. Granny's healthy cooking :gonzo
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Renee » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:11 pm

Joan, I think that one can relax a bit with grandchildren! ;)

Postby Alexandria » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:14 pm

Joan,

Yes, of course, you have a bit of Spanish blood ! We always dip our Churros into hot chocolate or melted chocolate !!! My 2 grandsons are Churros aficionados (enthusiasts ) as most kids are ..

Renée,

Nothing like a made from scratch Churro with a hot chocolate once in a blue moon !!!

Have a lovely day Ladies .. :yum :yum :yum

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:11 am

Not me Member 461. It's the other side of the family! I'm almost all pure celt with a touch of viking! :lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:41 pm

Joan, :lol: :lol:

Here´s to Churros dipped into hot chocolate !!!

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave

Postby Alexandria » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:41 pm

Joan, :lol: :lol:

Here´s to Churros dipped into hot chocolate !!!

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave

Postby Binky » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:40 pm

Member 461, we saw these pastries in Baja California but didn't try them. I was more entranced by the avocado and poached eggs on toast for breakfast.

If we go again (highly likely as it's the best whale watching in the world), I shall make a point of trying churros and chocolate based on your recommendation here.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:45 pm

We would certainly second any recommendation for churros, or whale watching in Baja, for that matter :D

Postby Alexandria » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:53 am

Binky,

Surely, there must be a Spanish Tapas Bar in London that makes Churros !!

They are a once in a blue moon delight !

Thank you for your feedback ..

Have a nice day .. :wave

Postby Alexandria » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:55 am

Badger´s Mate,

Yes, Churros are quite wonderful ..

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:10 am

Member 461 wrote:Binky,

Surely, there must be a Spanish Tapas Bar in London that makes Churros !!

They are a once in a blue moon delight !

I don’t think Binky is in London

I’m pretty sure you can get churros in the street food market at South Bank. Possibly also the one at Kings Cross and in Borough Market

Never seen them in a tapas bar here - pretty sure neither Brindisa nor Mare y Terra have them, nor my local two

Postby Alexandria » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:42 pm

Sue,

Thank you .. :wave

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox