Register

How often do you eat out?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: How often do you eat out?

Postby Binky » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:30 pm

Member 461 wrote:Binky, :wino

Spend some time in Spain !

There are approximately 300, 000 British Expatriates living in Spain !

There must be a few good reasons why !!! :lol:

Have a nice weekend .. :wave
hj

Much as I like Spain, if I could live abroad it would be in France. We go there a couple of times a year, a main summer holiday and then a long-weekend in autumn. We also do those day trips on Eurotunnel to stock up on wine, but that's such a rush and we always eat at the same Calais restaurant, so no new dining experiences for us on those days.

I know Granada better than I know Barcelona. My husband used to do a lot of work in the mountains behind Granada, and I would often accompany him on work trips. I wandered around on my own in the city and ate lunch alone.

In the evenings, we would be with his work colleagues, one of whom was Spanish, and he steered us away from the 'touristy' places. He nearly always had a word with the chef and special dishes would be brought out for our group, things not on the standard menu. Happy days!

Postby Alexandria » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:42 pm

Binky,

Granada is an amazingly beautiful historical city steeped in grand treasures dating back to the Moorish, and some gastronomic surprises too .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

I was in Granada in route to Cádiz this past August 2018 ..

France also has an amazing Expatriate Community of both British & North American Residents ( Canadians & Americans & Caribbeans ) ..

Our neighbor to the north is a beautiful country too with incredible regional cuisine .. I love Marseille, Nice, The Côte d´ Azur and Provençe ..

My dear is from Provençe .. So we travel up to Provençe a few times a year ..

Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:42 pm

Binky,

Granada is an amazingly beautiful historical city steeped in grand treasures dating back to the Moorish, and some gastronomic surprises too .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

I was in Granada in route to Cádiz this past August 2018 ..

France also has an amazing Expatriate Community of both British & North American Residents ( Canadians & Americans & Caribbeans ) ..

Our neighbor to the north is a beautiful country too with incredible regional cuisine .. I love Marseille, Nice, The Côte d´ Azur and Provençe ..

My dear is from Provençe .. So we travel up to Provençe a few times a year ..

Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:12 pm

Binky wrote:oooh Member 461, I want your life....

You need to set your sights lower then Binky

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:28 pm

I went to Granada many years ago and got a personal guided tour of the Alhambra from the curator who wanted to rehearse ahead of a visit by some British dignitary

The problem with eating out every day, apart from missing my kitchen, would be that I doubt many of us would spend €20 per head per day on food, even buying the best ingredients; a really good steak for example would cost at most £7 and that’s one of the more expensive simple meals; if making something like pasta so much less. Yesterday I had pasta with homemade pesto and veg for lunch, and Indian vegetarian food (homemade) for supper - probably not more than €6 in total food cost, thought it was a particularly expensive pasta

Postby Alexandria » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:06 pm

Sue,

The Alhambra is one of the jewels of Southern Spain and an emblematic treasure .. And the Hotel Parador is another historic gem of Granada .. and a beautiful place to have a caffé or a wine or beer or lunch or dinner .. (Bilingual website: www.parador.es)

Have a nice weekend ..

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:23 am

Member 461 wrote:Sue,

The Alhambra is one of the jewels of Southern Spain and an emblematic treasure .. And the Hotel Parador is another historic gem of Granada .. and a beautiful place to have a caffé or a wine or beer or lunch or dinner .. (Bilingual website: http://www.parador.es)

Have a nice weekend ..

Sorry - why do you need to explain the Alhambra to me when I clearly know it quite well?

I had an amusing time in the Parador as I made a bunch of English tourists jump as they thought I was Spanish and were surprised that I spoke to them in BBC English!

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:06 am

Stokey Sue wrote:The problem with eating out every day, apart from missing my kitchen

Snap! I am always glad to get back to my kitchen & start cooking no matter where in the world we've been. I suppose that's what sets apart the people who enjoy cooking & those that merely enjoy talking about it.

We eat out when we feel like it - usually when we're out for the day & drop off in a resto on the way home - we have a few regulars - we very rarely make a special effort to deliberately go out to eat unless it's an occasion, or we have friends down - or if there's a new place that's opened & we want to try it. We're lucky to have some good places here along the coast.

Even after a hard day's work I'm always happy to be back in my kitchen cooking.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:16 am

Not thought of it before, but now you mention it Sue, you look more Spanish than English.
I've stayed at the Granada Parador. But only remember the terrible signage - no entry.
Which had our driving round town for ages before realising you could drive into the parador road if you are staying there. I hope they've improved things, we were hugely miffed on arrival.

Lush, you are luckier than most there.
You have such a choice of places to eat. And great to see you have a cook lust, even after a long long day.
I sometimes get in a mental pickle cooking for a set time most days, having to rush home in time to begin.

With no choice about it.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:30 am

I was talking to Tony last night trying to remember the phrase here that resonated.

Joan - your referral to
dishonest cooking

Absolutely apt to some circumstances.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:08 am

Gil, The Painter,

The Granada Parador and The Alhambra were renovated 2 or 3 years ago ..

There is a sign indicating the entrance now ..

Have a nice day. :wave

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:12 am

Gillthepainter wrote:Not thought of it before, but now you mention it Sue, you look more Spanish than English.
I've stayed at the Granada Parador. But only remember the terrible signage - no entry.
Which had our driving round town for ages before realising you could drive into the parador road if you are staying there. I hope they've improved things, we were hugely miffed

My mother’s family had Spanish roots (I am researching) and once I tan I do look more Spanish than English - I go dark brown not golden like many Brits, and I was born with dark brown eyes, they were never blue - this is apparently usual only in Iberians and Berbers.

In winter I’m more an indeterminate all-purpose European mongrel

Postby Suffs » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:14 am

Stokey Sue wrote: My mother’s family had Spanish roots ...

That doesn't surprise us either Sue :wave

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:33 am

I'm not suprised either Sue. My daughter has very similar colouring to yours and she too was born with dark brown eyes. M's DNA seems to contain more Southern European ancestry than he suspected through his research, but there is one branch of his fmily who are somewhat elusive

I'm a bit of a fanatic about having food ready at the time stated. It got even worse during MC. I think though that it started in my childhood. My mother always had dinner (lunch)on the table for 12.30 on the dot every day because I came home from school and Dad came home from work and we only had limited time.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:41 am

Tony's mum's lineage goes right back to 1700, with only one major spelling change to the surname.
His father's line is broken at 1923, and difficult to follow further back.

I was thinking about having a DNA test done for both of us.
I wonder if I'm Viking through and through? Grrrrrrr-RAAAAAAH!

Tea for us is on the table between 6pm and 6:15.

Postby Suffs » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:54 am

Gillthepainter wrote:... I was thinking about having a DNA test done ...

I'm sort of attracted to the idea .... OH is concerned that such things make one vulnerable to folk with nefarious intentions ... I've tried to reassure him that no one's likely to want to clone me ........ ;)

I'd be interested to hear of your experience, if you do decide to go ahead :)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:49 pm

I’m thinking of doing DNA, partly because my paternal grandfather is officially “father unknown”, though I might know the answer. We think that part of the family has some Italian (you should see the older women - like a flock of Sicilian widows)

Postby Amyw » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:40 pm

I work with adults with disabilities and mental health issues so I go out for lunch at least once a week with them as part of their weekly routine , so probably more than most .

I’ll meet my friend for breakfast occasionally at the end of a 24hr shift which is always nice to celebrate the start of a day off. I’d say once a month I might have lunch out with a friend and a bottle of wine . A formal dinner , less often but appreciated when it happens

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:53 am

That's a worthy job, Amy. I guess lunch out as with work isn't the perk it sounds perhaps. It is work after all.
When I taught TEFL in Edinburgh, I took students out if they were on intensive lessons.
It was hard work being the talker, just as in the classroom. We had a preferential price at a lovely place over the road.

Nice tho.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:48 pm

When I taught TEFL in Edinburgh, I took students out if they were on intensive lessons

Ahhh - so you worked in Berlitz, just like I did :lol: :lol:

I remember taking the son of a Saudi Prince out to lunch. Obnoxious little git - never said a word, and I had to try and keep him off the booze!!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox