Register

Pochas vegetarianas: white cannelli & veggies.

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Pochas vegetarianas: white cannelli & veggies.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:14 pm

Pochas are a jumbo sized white bean grown in Asturias, Spain. A wise sub are the Italian Cannelli .. This is a very simple vegetarian dish with tons of flavor and is simple to prepare.

Ingredients for Pochas con Mushrooms & Vegetables .. Serves 4 .. :thumbsup

400 Grams of Extra large white beans or Pochas
2 onions of choice
1 médium sized red bell
1 small to médium size green bell
2 large tomatoes either fresh red ripe or San Marzano tinned or jarred
1 médium sized leek
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 bay leaf
100 grams of mushrooms of choice
Spanish or Italian Evoo
Salt and black freshly ground pepper of choice
Minced fresh parsley
1 tiny dry red chili pepper / horn shaped = 1 guindilla

1) Soak the beans overnight ..
2) Dice the veggies and mince the onion, garlic and slice the bell peps to your liking. I prefer thin strips ..
3) On a low slow flame, with freshly poured wáter or vegetable stock broth, simmer the beans. ( Depending on the type of White beans used, approx. 1 hour and check to see the tenderness. I usually simmer my Asturian pochas for approx. 1 hour and a half to 2 hours, as they are much larger than a Cannelli White Bean. )
4) In a skillet, sauté the veggies except the mushrooms in Evoo until just tender crisp and season as desired ..
5) Drain the Evoo.
6) Now in another skillet, sauté your thoroughly washed and patted dry mushrooms of choice that are sliced to your preferences. I quarter our wild rovello or boletus ..
7) Sauté until just tender and drain the liquid ( Evoo and the mushrooms own liquid )..
8) Drain the cooking liquid from the beans and then add the sautéed veggies, and mushrooms, season and salt as preference to taste. Add the chili pepper, parsely and remove the bay leaf and toss gently not to break the mushrooms or the beans ..
9) Ready to serve as preferred ..

Serve with rustic whole meal bread and a bottle of Asturian Cider ( sparkling ) ..

Simply a lovely hot dish for a cold rainy day and extraordinarily healthy ..

We enjoy our Asturian blue cheese with this dish for our dessert, Cabrales or Picón and Asturian Non Shiny Apples ( pale pale red and celery colored green acidic variety which Asturias is known for. )

Have a lovely day .. :wave
Last edited by Gillthepainter on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Caps removed
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Pochas vegetarianas: white cannelli & veggies.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:04 pm

Are these the same beans as the ones the Brits call butter beans?? I love them but have to import them from the UK. When cooked I sometimes just serve them as an accompaniment with softened chopped onions and paprika/ Lovely with pork

I also make a hesrty soup witj smoked bacon. onions and more paprika.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Renee » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Thank you for the lovely healthy recipe, Member 461!

I shall be using Italian Cannellini beans as you mention that they can be a sub, although I can get Greek Gigantes beans but they are in a sauce, I seem to remember, but I will check.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Joan,

To my knowledge, these are Asturian .. ( And / or Navarran and / or La Riojana .. ) :thumbsup ( If you cannot find, use Cannelli .. )

They are the very very similar in taste and texture to the White Cannelli Bean of Italy however, double the size .. And are oval, yet have a 3/4 crescent type appearance .. :lol:

I am sure you could get them from Asturias which is alot closer to France than The U.K. :clap :clap

Have a lovely day and Thank you for the feedback .. Truly a marvel of a vegetarian dish classic .. :wave :wave
Last edited by Alexandria on Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:37 pm

Renée,

Cannelli are a perfect sub as the Pochas have almost the same texture and taste as Cannelli Beans do .. They are just double the size as I explained to Joan .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

It is truly a delicious dish and simple to prepare .. No grand fuss and again extraordinarily healthy ..

Ciao .. Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave :wave :wave

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox