Register

Frying pan - wash or wipe?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Frying pan - wash or wipe?

Postby Binky » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:13 pm

What is the recommendation for non-stick pans please?

We always used wash our old metal frying pan, but the Circulon non-stick range says it's dishwasher proof.

Not sure what to do. The pans are part of a set of 3 and were reasonably expensive, so I don't want to ruin them.

Re: Frying pan - wash or wipe?

Postby Suffs » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:58 pm

OH works for Pro Cook ... he says if they say they’re dishwasher safe then that should be fine. A lot of the ranges he sells are dishwasher safe. But if you want to err on the side of caution wash by hand using a sponge.

Postby Binky » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:13 pm

Thanks, suffs.

We have the full set of saucepans and frying pans from Circulon. I bought them as we had a small milk pan by them bought in the US and it lasted 25-30 years. I thought (obviously) the new ones would be as good, but not so. Food is sticking to the smallest pan, which looks to have denatured. I will hand wash the others :cry:

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:26 pm

Hi Binky.
I found that it was better not to heat these newer pans too high. Although I'm used to a lot of heat with my other pans.
I tend to keep the modern frying pans at a medium heat.

And wash them with washing up liquid and jcloth.

Postby Pampy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:27 am

Binky wrote:Thanks, suffs.

We have the full set of saucepans and frying pans from Circulon. I bought them as we had a small milk pan by them bought in the US and it lasted 25-30 years. I thought (obviously) the new ones would be as good, but not so. Food is sticking to the smallest pan, which looks to have denatured. I will hand wash the others :cry:

Don't Circulon pans have a very long guarantee period? They used to. I had a frying pan which started sticking after about 3 years use so I took it back to Debenhams which was the closest shop which sold Circulon (although I didn't buy it from there). They exchanged it without batting an eyelid because they said they'd just send it back and would be credited with the cost of providing a replacement.

Postby Rainbow » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:41 am

Pampy wrote:Don't Circulon pans have a very long guarantee period? They used to. I had a frying pan which started sticking after about 3 years use so I took it back to Debenhams which was the closest shop which sold Circulon (although I didn't buy it from there). They exchanged it without batting an eyelid because they said they'd just send it back and would be credited with the cost of providing a replacement.

I was going to say the same about the guarantee. In Australia they have a lifetime guarantee - probably the same in UK. You should take it back and see what the shop will do about it.
I have a few Circulon pans and fry-pans and they are lasting very well, but I always hand wash any non-stick cookware - well, my OH does, anyway!!

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:03 am

well, my OH does, anyway!

He he he.

Well done on taking the pan back, Pampy. Good for Debenhams.
I tried when mine developed deep gouges in the surface material. Clearly a fault.
But customer services said I'd been at it with a screwdriver! Nope, just gently cooking fish.

I got a goodwill refund, as they messed me around when I insisted on having it inspected at the factory.
But not because the pan was knackered.

Waitrose. I was rather surprised.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:56 am

I have noticed the quality of circulon has gone downhill massively - I bought a low casserole about two years back, the coating feels thin & flimsy - nothing like previous pans I've had - whereas an Anolon wok bought 20+ yrs ago - used a couple of times every week with metal utensils is still going strong.

I've been using Scanpan frying pans for quite a few years now & find them brilliant - they take it all - high heat, metal - you name it - a bit more expensive but well worth it!

I'm another who hand washes them.

Postby Binky » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:17 pm

My pans are from Lakeland.

I asked at the counter about returning the small frying pan (having spotted the Lifetime Guarantee on the ones in the shop) but the assistant said Lakeland wouldn't take them after 3 years and I'd have to go to the manufacturer. Poor show Lakeland, you used to be excellent with returns and customer service.

Postby Wic » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:04 pm

I’ve been wondering what to get OH for Christmas. This anxiety starts every year in the summer, after his birthday, and often ends up as being a IOU on 25th December. However, having read the above I looked up pan makes and have just ordered him a Scanpan sauté pan, which I think he’ll be very pleased with, so thank you very much!

He does quite a lot of cooking since he retired. I was a bit iffy about it to begin with, but have got used to it now, and these days we share the tasks quite happily. Well, mostly we do!

Postby Suffs » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:14 pm

Wic wrote:...He does quite a lot of cooking since he retired. I was a bit iffy about it to begin with,...

:)

My OH hasn't retired ... 20 years to go til that happens, but I'm older than him and have already reached that stage. For part of the week he works at home and for the past couple of years he's taken a real interest in cooking ... I'm encouraging him and training him up in case a time comes when I'm no longer up to 'proper cooking' ... I wish to continue to be fed in the manner to which we've both become accustomed :lol: :thumbsup

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:46 pm

Wic wrote:However, having read the above I looked up pan makes and have just ordered him a Scanpan sauté pan, which I think he’ll be very pleased with, so thank you very much!

You're more than wecome Wic, & you/He won't be disappointed - they really are the best, brilliant pans - thinking about it, I also have a handy sized open roaster too which gets a lot of hammering, you really can't go wrong with these pans, wonderfully built!

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:15 pm

Suffs wrote:I'm encouraging him and training him up in case a time comes when I'm no longer up to 'proper cooking' ... I wish to continue to be fed in the manner to which we've both become accustomed

Too right...…. :thumbsup

So.…... this makes you a gorgeous cougar then suffs??

Postby Suffs » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:13 pm

22+ years ago we met at art school ... I was a fairly recently single mature student ... a group of students in my year used to meet up on a Tuesday evening in the Ten Bells for a pint and a Bull's Kn@cker (veggie scotch egg) and he and I would invariably find ourselves sitting chatting together.

One week I found it was just him and me (he'd told the others not to come) we've been together ever since :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Postby Pampy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:24 am

I've had a look at the scanpans too and they look really good - definitely on the list when I need something new. When I got an induction hob 5 years ago, I had to replace nearly all my pans and bought Swift Supreme, which I've been very happy with. The non-stick ones I always wash by hand but the stainless steel ones go in the dishwasher and always come out looking spick and span.

Postby jeral » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:21 am

Going back to Binky's original post, I used to swear by Circulon. However, the deliberately heavy high-heat one I bought a couple of years ago stuck very soon even though I hand washed it. Disappointing at best - I'd suggest you keep the receipts,. Hopefully you have better luck with yours. Dishwasher chemicals are harsh and abrasive so I personally wouldn't recommend whatever the label says.

Some smooth non-stick pans say to wipe them round with veg oil (not olive oil) before use, which I do, even if then adding OO to sauté in. Mind you, I reckon grapeseed oil is the best to prevent sticking in frying pans for e.g. meat or fish "slabs". Some smooth pans do just need a wipe clean depending what I've cooked in them. (I'm convinced the hob heat will kill off any residual bacteria on next use.)

If the food annoyingly does stick and you can't get a refund on the pans, you could do what I do for some things which is to line them with a circle of greaseproof paper. (I learned that from John Torrode on Masterchef.) Surprisingly things still brown even though sitting on the paper.

Hope this helps.

Postby Renee » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:27 am

Awww … what a lovely story Suffs!

If I wasn't the age that I am, I would go for one! :lol:

Postby dennispc » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:51 am

It's a lovely story Suffs. :thumbsup

Binky, I know the law's been changed, but thought any reason for returning goods had to be with the person/organisation who sold it to you - the retailer - and they couldn't say no, that's if you wanted to make an issue of it. Worth a check?

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:03 am

Suffs wrote:One week I found it was just him and me (he'd told the others not to come) we've been together ever since

Ah - you're with a strategist then Suffs - good on that man! Lovely story.....!

Go forrit Renee - you know it makes sense!!

I thought that too Dennis.

Postby Binky » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:54 am

Petronious, seeing as I was rebuffed by the shop assistant, I asked the Lakeland Head Office about this and they have immediately agreed to replace the pan.

They could see from their customer record when I bought it, the cost of it, and offered me either a refund or a replacement.

This is the way they always used to deal with customers, in fact they prided themselves on their lifetime guarantee. Now it's been reduced to 3 years, and the stores certainly stick to this, but HO have some discretion. My replacement pan is in the post!

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox