Register

Agnoletti al Burro e Salvia: Agnoletti & Sage Butter

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Agnoletti al Burro e Salvia: Agnoletti & Sage Butter

Postby Alexandria » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:32 am

Haunting, intoxicating, seductive are all words used to denote the Piedomont´s culinary repertoire and ingredients. The home of the White Truffle (tartufo bianco), the hard, knobby fungus which grows wild amongst the forest trees ranges in size from a Pebble to a Tangerine. Fontina cheese, is a beloved cow variety known for its buttery essence and flavor with a fine melting point is a renowned product in both Piedmont and its neighboring autonomous región, Valle d´ Aosta in northwestern Italy. :yum

It is not a secret that The Piemontese population are most fond of their agnoletti, a crescent moon shaped fresh pasta, similar to a ravioli. Here is our lunch for today, the 13th of October, 2018.

Agnoletti with Sage Butter By: My Mom, Maria Guillamet ..
6 Servings:

2 tsps Italian Evoo
100 grams of ground veal or beef
100 grams of ground porc
1/ 2 cup of finely minced spinach leaves

1 cup of freshly grated Reggiano Parmigiani ( Aged 24 - 36 month old Parmesan Cheese )
1 large egg

84 Wonton Wrappers ( bio / eco ) or home made Pasta dough
Unsalted French 82 % Butter
3 tablesp. Fresh Sage leaves minced

1) Heat in Evoo, in a large skillet, over medium heat, the meats. Sauté until browned ( approx. 3 to 4 mins. )
2) Add the spinach and sauté until wilted and the liquid is evaporated, approx. 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool ..
3) Place the mixture in the Food Processor or Use a Stand Up Mixer, and add the cheese, salt, freshly ground black pepper and the egg.
4) Lightly flour a baking sheet, and arrange 12 Wonton Wrappers on work surface ( or sheets of Fresh Pasta ) ..
5) Spoon 1 teaspoon of the filling in the center of each wrapper or sliced pasta dough.
6) Brush the edges of the wrappers or pasta dough with room temperature water.
7) Fold each wrapper or pasta dough sheet in half, forming a triangle and press edges together using a 2 inch diameter ruffled cookie cutter or a fork and slice the edges to form a half moon.
8) Repeat the process for all the wrappers and / or square sheets of pasta dough.
9) Cover the wrappers / pasta dough and refrigerate.
10) Melt the butter in a heavy medium size skillet over very low heat and add the fresh minced sage leaves ..
11) Now, working in batches, cook the agnoletti in salted boiling water until just tender, but still firm (al dente) approx. 2 to 3 minutes.
12) Using a slotted spoon, transfer the agnoletti to a shallow soup bowl and drizzle the sage butter
over the agnoletti and serve with: Rustic country bread ( warmed ) and extra cheese if so desired and a bottle of young Red Barolo or Barbaresco ..

This dish does not require an oak aged powerhouse red wine .. A young Italian red shall pair perfectly ..

Save the powerhouse oak aged reds for: Beef, Lamb, Venison or Boar & / or for Bresaola ..

Have a lovely day .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Agnoletti al Burro e Salvia: Agnoletti & Sage Butter

Postby Renee » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:59 pm

Member 461, what a lovely story about the specialities of the Piedmont region. I have seen Fontina cheese, but have never tried it. A friend sent me a white truffle through the post a few years ago which was a lovely surprise.

What a lovely family meal you had today! It's not something that I would make for just one person though. :(

Postby Alexandria » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:21 pm

Renée,

Thank you so much for your lovely compliment ..

Absolutely sublimely refined .. :yum

My Italian Grandfather pitched in to assist my Mom with the " real pasta dough " !

We truly enjoyed it ..

Definitely a lovely day .. :yum :yum :yum

All our best wishes .. :wino
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:24 pm

Member 461 wrote:Haunting, intoxicating, seductive are all words used to denote the Piedomont´s culinary repertoire and ingredients. ...[clip]...

[my bold]
Crikey, are people in Piedmont all on hallucinatory or mind-altering drugs then? Well. given you're talking about beef, pork, spinach, cheese and pastry wrappers. I doubt my enthusiasm could ever go that far - in fact I'd worry if it did as I'd think I was losing it!

I do like all things wrapped in pastry like wontons, spring rolls, samosas etc so I'm definitely on board with the principle.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:49 pm

jeral wrote:Crikey, are people in Piedmont all on hallucinatory or mind-altering drugs then? Well. given you're talking about beef, pork, spinach, cheese and pastry wrappers. I doubt my enthusiasm could ever go that far - in fact I'd worry if it did as I'd think I was losing it!

:lol: :lol: I'm absolutely with you Jeral... :lol:

Perhaps 'haunting' refers to gastric rebound!

Postby Renee » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:41 am

Member 461, what a delightful place Piedmont is to visit! I started to look through, but as it's bedtime now, I'll click on some of the links tomorrow.

https://www.miomyitaly.com/piedmont.html

Postby Alexandria » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:29 am

Renée,

Yes, it is an extraordinary part of northern Italy. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you for the link .. :clap :clap

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave :wave

Postby MagicMarmite » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:34 pm

What do you mean when you say, (bio/eco), when referring to the wonton wrappers?
Is that the same as organic?

Postby Alexandria » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:04 pm

Magic Marmite,

We used Eco / Bio Italian flour ( some countries call it Organic ) ..

Wonton Wrappers could be a good substitute ..

They are unavailable in the small town where we were visiting ..

So we made our own Pasta from scratch ..

Have a nice evening.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox