Register

Saintly Spanish Sweets: Buñuelos, for All Saints Day.

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Saintly Spanish Sweets: Buñuelos, for All Saints Day.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:49 pm

El dia de Todos Los Santos, All Saints Day, is a Spanish National Holiday that is celebrated on November 1st yearly in accordance to with the Roman Catholic tradition that is documented and traced back to the 7th century.

Throughout the Iberian Peninsula and Italy, different refgional customs mark this day. However, one thing does remain consistent, the confection and consumption of the traditional sweets that hail from the arrival of the autumnal season ..

What are Buñuelos ? They are essentially dough balls, prepared with flour (all purpose), butter or lard and eggs and then fried in Spanish or Italian Olive Oil.

The translation of Buñuelo in English: " Puffed up " and the origins of these doughy saintly sweets are often attributed to a 10th century Sephardic dish called " BIMUELOS " and were later adopted for the Roman Catholic holiday.

The Moorish have also eaten Buñuelos and they dip them in honey.

Here is a simple recipe for preparing this ancient and delighting sweets:

MAKES 24 PING PONG SIZE BUEÑUELOS:

All purpose flour ( of your choice ) - 37 grams
French or Asturian 82% Butter or butter of choice ( I use 1 / 2 Stick of Asturian Butter = 37 Grams ) : For melting ..
Salt to taste ( I use 2 grams )
Sugar to taste or Honey for dipping ( sugar 2 tblps for 24 buñuelos )
8 grams of yeast
2 small or médium sized eggs
63 grams of wáter of choice ( We use bottled wáter )

1) In a large glass bowl, combine the flour, the eggs, the yeast, water salt to taste and sugar to taste etcetra ( all ingredients) ..
2) Add the melted butter to the glass bowl and whisk ..
3) Place the dough on a floured surface and knead the dough until it is elastic and silky. Let is rise ( approx. 30 minutes )
4) Form tiny balls of dough ( PING PONG BALL SIZE ) and fry the balls in hot Evoo, from Spain or Italy until golden and lightly crispy ..
5) Drain the balls on paper towelling ..

Have a lovely weekend ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Saintly Spanish Sweets: Buñuelos, for All Saints Day.

Postby Renee » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:18 pm

What a lovely tradition Member 461 and I love to hear about the history.

The fried dough balls sound so delicious, but I won't be making them!!! :lol: They would be far too tempting!

Re: Saintly Spanish Sweets: Buñuelos, for All Saints Day.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:15 am

Renée,

I am a grand fan of Mediterranean Gastronomic history, a buff ..

Yes, these are really not sweet unless you add sugar, which we do not .. We dip them in a bit of bio Rosemary or Eucalyptus honey served in a tiny tiny earthenware or porcelain ..

We dip them into honey and sip a White Moscatel or Semi Sweet Cava or Prosecco with them ..

Have a lovely weekend .. Thank you for all your feedback .. :clap :wave :wave

P.S. In South America & Mexico they are filled with a salty white fresh cow cheese !!
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox