Register

Tipping in restaurants

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Tipping in restaurants

Postby Binky » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:37 pm

I know that some of you work in restaurants, or own your establishment, and so wondered about your attitude and expectations of tipping.

I have been reading a long thread elsewhere about the US practice of tipping (which is utterly absurd in my opinion) where it is expected that you will be tipping 20-30% on top of the bill. Some places, particularly in California, are also adding an extra 3% surcharge to cover the mandatory health care costs the employer must make (Obamacare? it wasn't expressly stated). This means that you will be paying 33% extra for your meal. Apparently, anything under 20-25% is considered an insult and you'd better not try to be served there again.

In Japan, it's considered an insult to tip (as though you are making some sort of statement about your superior station in Life), and France has the very civilised and sensible servis compris, so no nasty surprises when paying the bill.

What are your thoughts as a server, a restaurant owner or just a customer?

Re: Tipping in restaurants

Postby Pampy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:23 pm

I do tip if the service has been ok - the better the service, the better the tip. However, I wish the employers would pay a good enough wage to their staff, so tipping isn't needed. I always feel as though I am being patronising. Tipping is a strange custom, I think. It only happens in certain industries - I'm sure no one would ever think of tipping a shop assistant, who could be just as poorly paid as a waiter/waitress.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:52 pm

In Spain, waiters and waitresses are paid quite well (1.000 Euros a month in better establishments ).

It is relatively not done here except in top establishments and it is not mandatory .. In Michelin establishments 10% of the bill is normal ..

Four bar stools ( 4 friends ) may leave 1 Euro or 2 Euros if service is extra good ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:44 pm

In many countries at a bar it seems to be a bit rude to pick up the change but you don’t need to calculate the %

I hate the US system. But if you ask an American they will tell the waiters are on “less than minimum wage”. :? Because in the US they are allowed to count all the expected earnings as part of minimum wage, including tips.

Means the food isn’t as cheap as you first think

Postby Binky » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:53 pm

I understand why the Americans tip as they do, but why don't they just pay a living wage - like every other decent country - and not expect the serving staff to rely on tips. It's almost insulting to all those working in the restaurant trade.

Postby smitch » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:35 pm

Working conditions in the US are generally very poor in comparison to the UK- no paid maternity leave, limited sick leave, many jobs are hourly paid and little notice required by employers to terminate a contract.

Postby Binky » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:47 pm

Yes, I suspected as much. But you could say the same about US shop workers, postmen, garbage collectors, retail staff -- what's so special about waiters that they have to have 20-30% tip as of right?

Postby smitch » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:45 pm

The minimum wage for tipped employees is much, much lower than the standard minimum wage. It is as low as $2.13 per hour in many states according to Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage

Some cities have different minimum wage levels compared to the rest of their state, generally in areas with a high cost of living.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:56 pm

Binky wrote:I understand why the Americans tip as they do, but why don't they just pay a living wage - like every other decent country - and not expect the serving staff to rely on tips. It's almost insulting to all those working in the restaurant trade.

The Americans elected Trump

Not sure they qualify as a “decent country” since then, sadly

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:46 pm

I never tip in restaurants.
I may list to one side occasionally - but never tip :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Renee » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:52 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:34 am

ha ha ha. I like it, Clive.

I like tipping, and that goes for tipping in restaurants. We took a cab recently and got a flat fee quote of £30.
The local woman driver was very good, informative about the area like a tour guide would be. And we gave her £5. Why not, she was doing us a huge favour.

Again, I really want to tip in restaurants.
It feels special both ways.
We are not so generous in France, as it's included. But we leave something - and we so rarely get a bad meal in France anyway.
When people are super friendly and clearly appreciate your custom in bars, we round up our drinks bill.

Personally, I'd prefer tipping not to be part of the bill. Although it's easier I guess.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:55 pm

Postal Workers ( National Government) & Sanitation Workers (City or Municipal Government ) in the Usa are Civil Service Positions and the workers must pass a Civil Service Exam.

They have decent wages and health care benefits .. Otherwise, the Mail would not be delivered and the Garbage or Rubbish would be "skyscape high " !!

And they are Union Jobs as well, and thus protected from the horrific plight of other Americans ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:03 pm

Tipping in the USA is nothing more than the historical continuation of a discriminatory procedure. When former slaves were finally liberated, no-one wanted to give them "proper" jobs - so they ended up working for tips.
In any restaurant in the USA today, the tip is expected to be between 15 - 25 % of the bill - which I would consider outrageous, except that the tip forms a good part of the wait - staff´s wages.
A tip should be a gratuity - ie., a monetary appreciation of good service and good food. If I don´t think the service or the food were good, I don´t tip, but I also make it clear why I´m doing so.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:15 pm

Gratutities are included, along with taxes in French restaurant and hotel bills and are absolutely not expected.

We have just come home after three days away at a top hotel/restaurant. They had valet parking and when, yesterday, he tried to give the young man a tip it was politely refused. The valet said he was paid to do a job which he enjoyed doing and it was a pleasure to do so.

When you think about it, many folk consider meals in France expensive but if you include the tip they are often cheaper than, say, London when they sometimes add a gratuity whether or not you have had either good food or service.

I just hate the system and attitude in the USA although I do understand about their pay levels. It doesn't make for decent service quite often either. Last time we were there M and I walked out of a restaurant in Virginia Beach because of the bad service and even worse food. It nearly caused a diplomatic incident but we stuck to our guns - though maybe guns should not be mentioned considering in which country we were :o
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:05 pm

We do not travel to the Usa any more .. We used to attend an International Travel Convention in Manhattan or Washington D.C. once a year.

We had to pay for a Visa as well ( approx. 60 Euros per person, including 2 staff members ) ..

I understand the plight of the "working poor" class however, this is not my problem ..

Many of the waiters and waitresses did not attend an institute to learn a trade or go to university or dropped out of high school ( I am not speaking about the Michelin or top notch restaurants with well trained hospitality servers ) ..

Why should we pay a part of their salary for carrying 2 plates to a table and a bottle of wine and a bottle of sparkling water ?

Sorry .. They could keep their antiquated enforced laws and I shall stay on my side of the blue pond ..

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox