Register

Sourdough baskets

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Sourdough baskets

Postby Binky » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:37 pm

We, or rather my husband, make sourdough bread. He used to make a large single loaf and cut slashes into the dough, no special equipment used during rising etc.

As a treat, I bought him two of those baskets (banettone?) sold at John Lewis under the Paul Hollywood brand.

Unfortunately, the dough sticks to the baskets like billy-o and it is driving OH nuts.

He has shaken copious amounts of flour on them, never washed them as per the instructions, doesn't leave the dough too long in there....all to no avail. The dough sticks and loses it's lovely round shape with the spiral design, so we have a great dollop of dough on the baking sheet instead of tidy 'boules' shapes.

What are we doing wrong and can someone advise proper usage please? The instructions that came with the baskets are useless

Re: Sourdough baskets

Postby Alexandria » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:42 pm

If you put a piece of parchment paper or flax fabric in the bowl, and place the dough on top, both shall prevent sticking according to over 50 online blogs on the internet ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby dennispc » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:00 pm

Recently someone suggested using muslin and light dusting of flour. Works every time for me. Sorry I can’t remember who to credit with the advice.

Muslin with Pyrex bowl works a treat.

Postby jeral » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:24 pm

First, I don't pretend to know anything about sourdough or bannetons.

However, Binky, as you said that the instructions given are useless, this site might help as it suggests the best flour to use for dusting and also about sticking dough and other tips:
http://www.breadmatters.com/index.php?r ... tion_id=24

I'm guessing that if muslin is used it can be washed and ironed to sterilise for repeated use? If so, perhaps cut the piece(s) oversized as I'm pretty sure it shrinks in very hot water. Again, people who use it for sourdough baking will know more than I.

Postby Binky » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:57 pm

This is a puzzle for me, because if you wrap muslin around the bannettonnes, you will cover up the spiral pattern which makes the sourdough look so nice. You might as well use a pyrex bowl (so no point in buting and using the basketware in the first place, and they are not cheap).

We will keep experimenting and report back.

These are the baskets by the way.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hollywood-Kitc ... B01GJV1PES

Postby dennispc » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:10 pm

Binky, fine butter muslin allows the pattern to show. The bannertons I have are the same as PH's.

Postby dennispc » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:16 pm

This video doesn't use muslin but it might be helpful to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UouZYyxhb1k&t=326s

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:35 am

Good video, Dennis, as it also shows that boule shaping nicely.

My banneton baskets are one long, and round. I only have 2.

First thing I did, as they were new, was wash them, and dry them out as much as I could in the sun.
Next thing, I painted them with very wet flour and water - I used corn flour. Very wet, making sure it didn't pool anywhere.
Leave to set.

Then I use rye flour for the dusting. Be sure not to have have clumps at the base.
Although I don't think it matters what flour you use.

But the last thing is to also lightly flour the surface of my dough.
Don't put "naked" shaped dough onto your basket. I did have one pull at the edging, but that's where my fingers might have been wet.

Once the dough is tipped out, brush out the excess dust away ready for your next bake, ie don't leave the flour in the baskets to re-absorb moisture in the air.

Seems to work.

Tell him to keep at it, they will season nicely.

Postby dennispc » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:13 pm

they will season nicely.

When professionals give demos their equipment has been in regular use, their kitchens are warm and probably their hands have ingrained flour. All helps.

My round banneton is made from cane, the indentations are more pronounced than my wood pulp long one which doesn't make such an attractive loaf.

There's no marks using a pyrex bowl, but it's so much easier tipping it into the lid, which stays on in the oven to create its own steam atmosphere.

My first effort

Ready for oven.jpg

The result

Ready for oven.jpg

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:45 am

Like a cloche bake, Dennis? That's an excellent result.
I have one long dark metal loaf tin that was a gift. And the breads are fabulous from it, I absolutely love it. It never sticks.

Moral of the story, Binky. You can never have too much cookware when it comes to baking sourdough.

Postby dennispc » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:28 am

Yes Gill, but with the advantage of using the lid to turn upside down and everything stays together. And it's not hot. The link that Jeral gave suggests when tipping out, use fingers to hold dough in place until the last minute. Don't fancy my fingers being that close to a piece of 250C metal!

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox