Register

Pollo alla Morengo: Piedmont Chicken,Tomato & Mushrooms.

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Pollo alla Morengo: Piedmont Chicken,Tomato & Mushrooms.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:29 pm

Since I am a history buff, I shall begin with the history of this Piedomontese simple but lovely dish.

On June 14th, 1800, Napolean Bonaparte defeated the Austrians at Marengo, a village in southeastern Piedmont in Northwestern Italy. The town has given its name to a traditional chicken dish, which was cooked on the battle-field by Dunand, Napolean´s Chef.

It is still served throughout the area, as well as in France, and is often prepared with veal ..

Serve with lots of rustic country integral bread to soak up the sauce and a noble nosed oak aged red velvety Barbaresco ..

Recipe for 4:

1O Bone In Chicken Breasts ( one can prepare with the chicken parts they favor .. )

1/ 4 Cup of Italian Flour
2 Tblsps of French 82% Butter
1 tblsp Italian Evoo
350 to 400 grams of Mushrooms of choice
2 large red ripe vine tomatoes
Dry White Italian Wine of choice ( 1 / 2 Cup of White wine .. )
1 Chili Dry Red horn shaped chili pepper (guindillas )
2 small onions ( peeled and minced or arcs )
Chopped fresh parsley, Basil, thyme, Rosemary & oregano ( dry or fresh )
S & P to taste

1) Sprinkle the chicken breasts or parts with S & P ..
2) Dust the chicken parts in Flour lightly and shake off excess.
3) Melt the butter and gently add the Evoo and working in batches, add the chicken Parts.
4) Cook all the chicken breasts or parts until golden on all sides, approx. 6 to 7 minutes per side.
5) Place the chicken in an earthenware or Dutch Oven or Stove top Casserole with the lightly sautéed tomatoes diced, the lightly sautéed onions, the very lightly sautéed mushrooms of choice sliced in quarters and the White wine.
6) Cook for approx .. 20 to 25 minutes covered ..
7) Uncover the casserole or Dutch Oven or Earthenware, and simmer on low heat or flame until chicken is done thoroughly on the interiors.
8) Season with fresh or dry Mediterranean Herbs ( Thyme, Basil, Parsley, Rosemary & Oregano ), crumble the chili pepper or 2 and S & P.
9 ) Serve in a bowl with rustic country bread and an oaky aged red wine ..

Truly a gem ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Pollo alla Morengo: Piedmont Chicken,Tomato & Mushrooms.

Postby Renee » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:15 am

That will be tonight's meal Member 461, because I had decided to have chicken. The chicken breasts in my freezer are freerange with skin on, but no bones. They are from a local farm and from a shop on Chorley market.

Thank you for the recipe! :wave

Postby Suffs » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:02 am

This has long been one of our favourite supper dishes :D ... we like it made with chicken thighs ... I'm just a little in awe of the amount of meat in your recipe for four people :shock: that's double what I would use.

However it's always good to have enough for any unexpected guests ... and of course it is a dish that reheats well, so freezing the surplus for another day is always an option :thumbsup

Postby Alexandria » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:16 pm

Suffs,

The recipe serves the two of us lunch on Sunday and lunch on Monday at the Office ..

So that is the reason why 10 bone in breasts ( 2 pieces each Sunday + Italian Salad, and 3 pieces each Monday with a tiny rocket & radicchio salad ) .. An espresso afterwards and so
it is not alot ! It is just right .. Afterall, we ate breakfast at 6am (Today, Monday ) so by 14.00 - 14.30, we need a good lunch .. We are Mediterraneans !!!

It is lovely classic. :yum :yum :yum :yum :yum

Thank you for visiting and have a lovely day ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Suffs » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:52 pm

We have what others regard as large portions ... I'm from a farming family ... but three whole chicken breasts each per meal :shock:

These two (with accompaniments of course) would be enough for two hard-working farmers around here

chicken breasts.jpg

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:56 pm

Good looking chicken breasts there Suffs….. :yum

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:16 pm

I actually weigh out 150 - 200 gms of chicken breast per person. Although if it were up to my boys, they´d eat an entire chicken each :shock:

Postby Alexandria » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:33 pm

Snuffs,

Those chicken breasts are quite large .. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Our´s are much smaller and ecologically fed as well, and free range .. So 3 of our´s are the size of 1 of your´s !!

And unlike other countries, we have: a starter ( norm is a salad regardless of weather ) and a main, wine, Sparkling Water and an Espresso .. We rarely have desserts except when travelling as both of us do not care much for sweets.

2 Hours after lunch we have a fresh bio / eco fruit or two ..

Postby Alexandria » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:36 pm

Karakoolaide,

Wise idea to weigh ..

Our bio / eco chicken breasts are alot smaller than the ones, in Snuff´s Photographs.

I would say, approx 100 grams each so we each had 2 chicken breasts on Sunday and today 3 chicken breasts but I would say weight was same approx. Very light ..

With a salad and of course, wine, sparkling water and a tiny rocket & raddichio salad, no bread today, it is just right ..

And I am buying the breasts bone in, not the whole chicken as it goes to waste here .. Neither of us are dark meat enthusiasts .. And no skin either !! ( cooked with the skin, but we do not eat the skin, we both remove it .. )

Pleasant day wishes. :lol: :lol:

Postby Renee » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:30 pm

A few days late, but I made the lovely chicken dish today Member 461. It was most delicious!

Postby Alexandria » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:32 pm

Renée.

Wow !! So wonderful .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you Dear ..

Always so complimentary ..

It is a delicious dish ..

We truly enjoy it especially since we are in wild mushroom season .. :yum :yum :yum

Have a lovely evening .. :wave :wave :wave

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox