Register

Green peppers v. Red peppers

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Green peppers v. Red peppers

Postby Binky » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:00 pm

I thought these were there same vegetables, with only a bit of ripening between them.

American visitors say no -- they are different sorts. Husband didn't want to eat 'green peppers' only the red variety.

Please tell me I am not going mad -- they are the same pepper aren't they?

Re: Green peppers v. Red peppers

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:13 pm

When ripe sweet peppers are red, yellows, or orange

All are green when unripe, and most peppers sold green will turn red if kept under the right conditions, though I think I’ve spotted a few yellow ones recently, possibly they are less inclined to look streaky than the red ones?

Postby Alexandria » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:26 pm

In Spain, red bells are quite large and surely are quite sweet .. They are sold red and are quite red ..

Green bells are quite aromatic but not sweet ..

There are bells and there are " Italian Horns " ..

So, there is a taste profile that is different ..

The red bells are much sweeter than the red horns..

The green horns are lighter in color and not as strongly flavored as the darker green bells ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:44 pm

Here the pointy (horn) ones are usually called Romano peppers, and are seldom sold green

Postby jeral » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:18 pm

I've always thought that red and green bell peppers are the same item basically because "If it looks like a duck...". and because it's not a different type of pepper, i.e. bells is bells.

I suppose there might be variances since some ripen into yellow or orange or red. I haven't known one that goes from green through yellow and orange to become red,. Could be different variations or just soil, light conditions or when picked. I'm no expert so I wouldn't dispute what anyone said since people happy to think what they think usually.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:38 pm

When thinking of varieties I often find it useful to look at seed catalogues

I forgot the sort of aubergine coloured ones (known as black)

But it seems they all start out green then turn red, yellow orange or black according to variety,

https://search.thompson-morgan.com/search?w=sweet%20pepper%20seeds

Postby Amyw » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:52 pm

Green peppers are much more bitter and I think that’s why they’re less popular than the red and yellow . I don’t mind the green peppers but if I’m doing a ratatouille or tray of roasted Mediterranean veg, will always use red

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:44 pm

Green bell peppers are unripe red ( or yellow, or orange - or even purple) bell peppers. You´re not going mad; the American husband just hasnt got a clue :gonzo :gonzo
The green peppers are more acidic, which maybe why the Chinese prefer them for stir-frying.
In Mexico, the "Poblano" chiles (which are basically a long pepper) are generally eaten green - stuffed with aromatic minced pork or simply rice and some white Oaxaca cheese - then dipped in an egg mixture and fried. ( they call them " capeado").
Red bell peppers are simply ripened green onesand therefore,sweeter . Ask the bloke what happens to green tomatoes...
I´m fairly sure than green peppers ( and the same goes for all capsicum varieties) have more vitamin C , and that as they ripen, they lose some of the vitamin C and acquire more vitamin A. that certainly is the case with dried chiles.
In India, you will find recipes that ask for red peppers/chiles in a dish, which will then be finished with a sprinkling of GREEN peppers/chiles.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:00 am

Sue,

Both Green bell and red bells ( Spanish favorite) are still the most common here. If streaked with a rainbow, they are not sold at going Price .. They are sold at a much cheaper Price ..

Aubergine colored violet bells and Golden yellow are not the most popular here in Spain ..

Restaurants sometimes throw them in salads and people push to side or put on a separate plate ..

The Italian Horns ( Red and Green ) are very common for sauté-ing .. They are much smaller than the big bells ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:11 am

karadekoolaid wrote:...[clip]...
In India, you will find recipes that ask for red peppers/chiles in a dish, which will then be finished with a sprinkling of GREEN peppers/chiles.

Yes, I've noticed that. I thought it was that green gave a more immediate hit or bite to get mouth juices awake before the blended-in red ones. Hadn't thought of the science though.

There are dishes that benefit from green for their tartness i.e. when intending to contrast with or stand its ground against a strong taste like smoked fish or egginess in omelettes (and some curries).

I'd love to have the patience to stuff long chillis. I imagine cooks skilled at that make dozens in an hour, which is clever since chillis aren't exactly conveniently stretchy like dough.

Thanks Stokey Sue and karadekoolaid: I'm thinking so far that the answer to Binky's OP question is that red and green are the same except they aren't.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:19 am

Maybe he's confused because green ones don't go red in his fridge, but just go wrinkled.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:44 pm

Gill, the fridge may have something to do with it

Jeral the chillies you stuff aren't the tiny one syou put in curry

Like this, no too small

Chiles-rellenos9_thumb12.jpg
Chiles-rellenos9_thumb12.jpg (72.18 KiB) Viewed 9627 times

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:56 pm

Are they fresnos? Which I luvvvvv

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:00 pm

Poblano according to the caption Gill

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:00 pm

Lovely.
Those poblanos have a bit more chilli to them.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:32 pm

Of course they are the same thing with different ripeness.

I hate raw pepeers of any colour but I love green ones in certain cooked dishes like chowder and both red and green in ratatuoille etc. Red in piperade etc etc.

Don't really get what all the fuss was about - just use the appropriate ingredient for the dish.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Binky » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:27 pm

No fuss really Joan. We only had green peppers in the veg tray (for a veggie bolognese) so that's what I cooked.

When the meal was presented, he picked out the peppers, she picked out the mushrooms and neither ate the spaghetti because they are on a low-carb diet ( but he then complained later about being hungry and ate a bag of crisps. Insufferable person).

Postby jeral » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:39 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Gill, the fridge may have something to do with it

Jeral the chillies you stuff aren't the tiny one syou put in curry

Like this, no too small
[pic]

Ah, thanks, for the pic. They look a more manageable size for stuffing so the trick now will be to learn to stuff them faster than I'd eat them once deep fried...

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:43 am

Sounds like a right nightmare, Binky.
I might expect family to be so overly familiar with their foodie wants and thoughts, but not invited guests!

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:24 am

Binky they sound so like the nightmare American guests we had who came with a small volume of things they couldn't wouldn't eat and warning that she was diabetic. She ate hardly anything when with us but when we took them to a local beauty spot wh lost her and she was stuffing herself with doughnuts and then on the way back, crepes.

When they left we found chocolate and biscuit wrappers stuffed under the bed.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox