Register

Terrible cooks

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Terrible cooks

Postby Alexandria » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:29 pm

In Italy:

The "IL Corriere della Sera", the Italian Law, at the Public Birth Registry Prosecutor´s Office, aims to prevent ridiculous names, soap opera names, or embarrassing names given to children by their parents.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renee » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:19 am

This post has been so interesting to read through with a few giggles along the way!

Wordsworth, I agree with you! Women shouldn't have to change their surnames to their husband's when they marry. It's time for change!

I really don't like rules where names are concerned, but I do agree for the child's sake that ridiculous names shouldn't be allowed.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:06 am

anyone else remember being rather confused and disappointed when Vaclav Havel, the former playwright, came into power in the Czech Republic and the first thing the “alternative” government did was to mandate that all women used the feminine form of the name ending in -ova. :? It seemed to them an important part of Czech culture I suppose

It has never been the law in the UK that women take the husband’s name, though a lot of people think it is or was. Marriage laws are made for the wealthy, and the name always stuck to the money rather than the gender. I’ve known people chose a third, shared, name

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:38 am

If you want some really funny ( as in - Ohmygodwhatweretheydrinkingwhentheycalledthepoor childTHAT), welcome to Venezuela.
Some years ago, the name " Yusnaby" appeared. Any clues? Someone saw a U.S. Battleship one day, and decided that "US Navy" would be a nice name...
I know a culinary student called " Hifclis" - because his mum read " Wuthering Heights" and fell in love with Heathcliffe.
I´ve just met someone who´s mum ( or dad) likes Italian liqueurs - she´s called Frangelly.
Then there´s the guy who decided to use a compendium of family names for his son, Joslauantón ( José, Laura & Antonio)

Postby Suffs » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:14 am

In my work I came across a baby with the first name John-Lewis .... parents couldn't remember where they'd heard it but felt that the two names went together well. :stfu

I was given two fore names and the family (paternal) name ... when I married I changed my surname (as most did in 1970) and when I divorced I initially kept my married name as this was easier for my children ... however later on I changed my name by Deed Poll, taking my unmarried surname (Pa was pleased) but keeping my married surname as the third of my forenames ... this is useful as of course I had sold paintings under that name (now I use both names on paintings) also Pa had done some family tree stuff and thought this would help future genealogists .... the only difficulty was that initially banks and other institutions wanted to hyphenate me :o ... we've overcome that now :thumbsup

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:16 am

My maiden name is Richardson and that is the name used in France on all official documents and funnily enough is much easier for French people to deal with than Bunting - there is a large company of that neam in France. My father had only one forename and it was Ralph. M-I-L always called him Sir Ralph.

It is interesting that in the UK a woman is usually referred to as X nee (born)y. In France it is Y epouse(married to ) X

In the Bahamas we had some hilarious given names Like the twins called tate and Lyle because they had to be baptised shortly after birth and there was a packet of sugar on the table which inspired the names. We had a Hitler and a Stalin and several children with first names of Prince, King or Queen. So I taught a Prince Albert, and a Queen Mary. We had a good friend who was born the day the Duke and Duchesse of Windsor arrived in the Bahamas and he was called Windsor but as his family name was Sawyer everyone called him Tom.

There is a footballer in the Premiership called Jesus and it always makes me smile when it is announced, for example, that Jesus has given away a penalty. There used to be a notice outside a local church which said "Jesus Saves" an some fan had pasted under it "But Shearer scores on the rebound"
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Pampy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:32 am

There's a church near me which had a big banner stating "Jesus saves" and some wag had written "with the Woolwich". Another gem was "Jesus reigns" followed by "and we all got wet". They've now stopped putting the banners up.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:28 pm

It is quite humorous that Terrible Name Stories have some how arrived on the Terrible Cooks thread ! :lol: :lol:
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:52 pm

That is because these threads are, & have always been, organic and not dictatorial !

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:57 pm

In the recent World cup, when Mexico played Brazil, both sides had a Jesus!

I can't remember who won, but it was probably Jesus's side...

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:27 pm

Jesus saves .....
But Moses invests!

That was the version common in the Black Country

Not forenames but football teams, Coventry fielded a team with both a Westwood and an Eastwood not that long ago.

I haven’t been able to find out if the Westwood is related to Lefty Westwood who played for the Baggies pre WW2 and is some kind of a relative of mine

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:29 pm

Jesús is quite a common name in Latin America.
My (ex) brother-in-law is called Jesús, and a journalist friend is also Jesús.

And to return to the graffiti:
" Jesus is coming"
scrawled underneath
(" and he´s really angry!")

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:37 pm

Binky:
You really deserve a good night out, having to put up with those people for three weeks.
It´s only happened to me once, with a nephew who was an incredibly fussy eater.
After 4 days at the beach, all he had eaten was pizza. Really awful pizza at that.
We took him to a decent restaurant, where he ordered what he wanted. We had lobster! When his dish arrived at the table, he looked at it and said " I don´t think I´m going to like that" and refused to eat it.

When we got home, I took him to the supermarket, where he bought bread and cheese. THat´s what he ate for the following three days!

Postby Wordsworth » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:27 am

Going back to married women and their name.. I retained my birth name on marriage and still do but it has been difficult.
Some people don't believe we are married.
Some people think I am breaking the law.
Some people insist on referring to me as Mrs R rather than Ms T.
It does get quite provoking.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:52 am

I’ve never been married
I list myself as Ms or Miss and occasionally pull up call centre staff who pronounce those as Missus (obviously only if they are English first language)
I was happy to give in and answer to Madame X when dealing with the house in France, as it was easier than repeatedly giving a long explanation of why a non-French person was dealing with the family property

A colleague used her maiden name for work and her husband’s name for family life. She moved to new company, and took the opportunity to change to using her married name for everything. Six months later, they split up. Sod’s Law.

Postby smitch » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:25 am

I didn’t change my name when we got married. I’m still amazed how many people question it, some comments I get are quite rude. Same with our decision not to have children. Interestingly, my husband doesn’t get grilled about it like I do :roll:

Postby Wordsworth » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:11 pm

Oh god I know exactly how you feel smitch.
We are also child free; do those who choose a family have to explain their decision all the time?

Postby smitch » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:49 pm

The thing that annoys me the most is people who ask if my husband ‘minds’ me not changing my name or wanting kids. Makes my blood boil!

Postby Renee » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:46 pm

Absolutely smitch! That's terrible and what has it got to do with them anyway?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:02 am

I had a colleague who had kept her maiden name. I had the heck of an argument with admin as I explained she was never, ever, Mrs Maiden name, always Ms or Miss if that really gave their database really couldn’t cope with Ms

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox