Register

Berenjenas Rellenas: Stuffed Aubergine/Eggplant

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Berenjenas Rellenas: Stuffed Aubergine/Eggplant

Postby Alexandria » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:35 am

The Moors documented the Aubergine in the 9th Century and were responsible for bringing the vegetable to The Iberian Peninsula and Sicily. It is mentioned in the Catalan Book, Libre de Sent Sovi, written in the 14th century. The Balearic Islands in the Mediterranean (Mallorca, Ibiza, Menorca & Formentara), are large producers as are Puglia, Calabria and Sicily. Here is a lovely Tapa ..

Tapa - Stuffed Aubergine: :thumbsup

8 Small Long Aubergines peeled
4 cloves of lavender colored or black garlic finely minced
3 tableps. of fresh minced parsley, fresh oregano, a sprig or rosemary, a tiny sprig of thyme and a basil leaf and savoury spice or fresh herb
200 grams of ground porc or veal or beef or a combination or Ventresca Tuna (White albacore belly of the tuna in Jars )
1 egg separated ( the egg White beaten or whisked )
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Bread Crumbs for Coating of choice
250 Ml. Spanish Evoo of choice
1 tsp. Smoked Paprika ( La Vera Pimentón )
2OO Grams of tomatoes red ripe peeled and finely diced ( can be de-seeded too if you wish )
1 black, 1 green, 1 White and 1 rose Peppercorn
And a couple of lavender ( edible ) buds crushed in mortar ..
How to prepare this Tapa:
1) Slice the augergines in half lengthwise and scoop out the centers..
2) Combine the garlic, and 1 tblsp of minced fresh parsley with the ground meat or the tuna and then add the egg yolk and salt to taste.
3) Fill the aubergines with the seasoned meat or tuna and then dip into the beaten egg white and the breadcrumbs. Close with the other half of the Aubergine and place small metal skewers to hold the filling in the aubergines.
4) Heat the Evoo in a skillet and then lightly sauté the aubergines on both sides, and transfer to an oven casserole or earthenware when ready.
5) In a mortar, crush 1 clove of garlic with 2 tablesps. of minced parsley & other fresh Mediterranean Herbs ( Rosemary, oregano, basil, savoury of choice and thyme) and crush with the Pestle ..
6) Place the herb & spice mixture on top of the aubergines with a light sprinkling of bread crumbs and bake in oven for a few minutes until topping is toasted.
7) Drizzle the Aubergines with a tiny bit of Evoo ( Before placing in oven )..

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave
Last edited by Alexandria on Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Berenjenas Rellenas: Stuffed Aubergine/Eggplant

Postby Renee » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:09 pm

I love that recipe, Member 461 and it's one to make on my return home.

Postby Amyw » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:22 pm

Did you mean to put lavender in the ingredients list as I can understand four cloves of black garlic, but not the same measurement of lavender . Interesting they’re given as two corresponding options , as they are completely different in taste

Postby Renee » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:42 pm

Sorry Member 461, but I forgot to ask about the cloves of lavender.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:28 pm

"cloves" of lavender? No entiendo! Don´t understand!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:01 pm

I suspect thi is run on - lavender ( which we call pink or purple) garlic or black garlic

Two alternative forms of garlic

I get lovely purple Spanish garlic in London sometimes, and lavender is quite a good description

That recipe looks interesting
Don’t think I have ever had stuffed aubergines in Spain.

I make either Imam Bayeldi - the Turkish or Middle Eastern meze fish, or Armenian style with minced meat, preferably lamb

If I can I make Imam Bayeldi with the little aubergines, duck egg sized, make s great meme / tapa

ETA Never encountered any form of stuffed aubergines in which the aubergines were peeled...
Last edited by Stokey Sue on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:16 pm

I love Imam Bayeldi. I've also got some black garlic to use up

Decisions, decisions.....

Postby Alexandria » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:03 am

Renée,

Just meant 2 things !!!!

Lavender ( edible ) .. a couple of aromatic flora shall do well .. Place in mortar and grind them .. Add to spice mixture but just 2 buds of lavender ..

Lavender colored or black colored Garlic cloves !!

An error typing too fast !!!

Depending on type of aubergine used, the Japanese long which are a true purple verses the black violet are easier for this recipe ..

Apologies .. I will correct the post ..

Have a lovely day .. And Thanks for your message .. :wino :wino
Last edited by Alexandria on Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:07 am

Karakoolaide,

1) Meant lavender colored or lilac colored cloves of garlic ..

2) I do put a couple of buds crushed of lavender in this spice mixture ..

3) Apologies .. was typing very quickly as this is first week I am home home in Barcelona ..

4) It is corrected now ..

Ciao .. Have a nice evening ..

Postby Alexandria » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:19 am

Sue,

Aubergine is one of my fave veggies and there are many types ..

1) I use Japanese longs which are a bright purple verses black violet ..

2) Since I eat very very little meat, I prepare mine with Ventresca White Albacore Tuna from Cantabria ..

3) I peel the black violet ones as I find them on the hard side to digest depending on récipe .. ( I do not peel when I prepare them fried or when I make Eggplant Parmigiani di Lecce, Puglia ) This is like a layered lasagne without the pasta !! Only aubergine is used in the layering with Ricotta and home made from scratch tomato sauce and then top covered with Mozzarella di Bufala & Aged & Grated Reggiano Parmigiani ..

4) It is optional .. You do not have to peel if you prefer ..

5) Stuffed Aubergine is very common in the Madrid Capital on Menu del Dias, (Lunches) and is usually served as a starter but I have it as a main with a salad starter ..

Have a nice evening .. :wave

Postby Alexandria » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:31 am

Sue,

It is quite uncommon here to find a Syrian or Armenian restaurant .. :thumbsdown

I am a grand fan of Moroccan and Lebanese cuisines .. :thumbsup

However, each region in each country has their special recipes incorporating Aubergine .. And each use a different type of Aubergine.

Stuffed Aubergine is quite common in Madrid which is where I had it and of course, I always ask for the a recipe and sketch the dishes and take a few photographs and it is also common to stuff Courgette here too .. :D :D :D

Lovely also .. :clap :clap

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:46 am

Loud and clear, Member 461.
That´s (probably) the same garlic I use - although there are no special names over here to distinguish one type of garlic from another.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:46 am

Karakoolaide,

Fresh Garlic comes in several colors: Black, Lavender and White are the most common ..

Lavender garlic and black garlic have become trendy here in Spain .. Wild and uncultivated or Bio / Eco ..

No Gmos or "no transgeneticos" ..

Have a lovely day ..

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:11 pm

In the UK, black garlic is a heat treated processed product. It is less garlicky than fresh and has got a caramelised flavour.

http://www.blackgarlic.org.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:45 pm

We don’t have a lot of Armenian or Syrian restaurants here to be honest, but plenty of Turkish and Lebanese ones, very similar cuisine
I think the Egyptians claim Imam Bayeldi, but it may well be Iraqi, who knows?

There is quite a large Armenian population in France (Charles Aznavour, RIP, for example) and Aubergine a l’Armenienne used to be quite common on Paris bistro menus, my version may originally have been quite French. - much as Stroganoff is more of a Paris dish than Moscow dish.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:50 am

Sue,

I find the handling of the ingredients particularly the spices and herbs, differ from country to country ..

Lebanese cuisine is quite delicate and sublime in comparison to other Mid Eastern cuisines.

I have never had Armenian cuisine in Spain or France however, there are quite a number in Bucharest, Romania ..

As a matter of fact, the historic district of the city, was built by an Armenian Entreprenneur .. (1820 - 1840) ..

I had taken a tour group to Bucharest, Brasov and Transylvania in 2016 .. Another amazing cuisine very often overlooked ..

Have a lovely day ..

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:29 pm

...and talking of stuffed aubergines, my favourite recipe is an Indian one.
Gently fry some onions in ghee. Then mix with freshly grated coconut, toasted sesame seeds, jaggery (papelón, or brown sugar), salt, fresh chiles and bind with tamarind pulp. Mix the stuffing together.
Find small, or baby aubergines, and cut an X in the middle, being careful not to sever the stalk end or the bottom; you want the vegetable intact. Prise open and salt inside, then leave for 30 minutes or so.
Wash briefly to remove some of the salt, stuff with the coconut mix, place all the aubergines in a large pan ( only one layer), add a little water, bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the aubergines are cooked through.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:42 am

Karakoolaide,

Thank you for your feedback ..

Have a lovely day .. :wave

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox