Register

Booze free mincemeat & Christmas Delights

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Booze free mincemeat & Christmas Delights

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:47 pm

Hi folks

Sorry everyone, I know it's really early to be thinking about C-word cooking, but Gillthepainter asked me to pass on my recipe for the above. I thought I'd better do it now otherwise I would probably forget nearer the time!

This is a great recipe for anyone who is either severely cash-strapped, or permanently/temporarily teetotal due to choice, medication or pregnancy etc. It can also be made last minute because it is ready to eat straight away. Also feel free to adapt this as you so wish, including adding festive booze if you desire it! I have kept it tangy because I think most of us know that Gill's husband Tony does not have a sweet tooth! This quantity makes 1 large jar (e.g. pickled red cabbage size).

Ingredients:

1 sharp orange (e.g. Valencia), or 2 clementines
1 lemon
1-2 eating apple(s), depending on size
300g mixed dried fruit
100g sugar (whichever you prefer)
50-75g glace cherries or other dried fruit of choice (apricots, sour cherries or cranberries would be good)
1 tsp ground cinnamon or ginger
Approx 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground mixed spice

Method:

1. Sterilise your jar using your preferred method.

2. Place the citrus fruits in a large saucepan. Peel core and quarter the apple(s) and place in the pan with the citrus fruit. Pour some boiling water on top from the kettle, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes to an hour (depending on size of fruit). Once the apple is cooked, put in the food processor and set aside for the time being.

3. Remove the softened citrus fruit with a slotted spoon, reserving approximately half of the water if you have plenty left in the pan. Put onto a chopping board, halve and de-pip them all. Roughly chop them up and put into the food processor with the apple. Blitz into a rough puree. Remove any really chunky bits of membrane if you get them. If you have any biggish bits of peel, then finely slice and put into the food processor

4. Pour the puree back into the saucepan, and add the remaining ingredients. If you've added any larger dried fruit such as prunes or apricots, then roughly chop them.Stir until the sugar has melted and then bring to a rapid boil. Keep boiling until the mixture is looking thickened and glossy, not watery. Turn off the heat and leave to stand for about 10 minutes, then spoon into the sterilised jar.

Well, there you go, and if anyone of you lovely folks wish to add any other festive goodies to this thread, please go ahead! :prezzie1

Re: Booze free mincemeat (plus any other C-word delights)

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:52 pm

Perhaps after hallowe;en Clare!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:57 pm

Hi Joan

My short term memory is not great, so I think I would even have forgotten all about it by the time Hallowe'en comes around! :oops: :?

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:43 am

1 sharp orange (e.g. Valencia)

If I can´t find a sharp orange, will a blunt one do? :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

( s´all right, I was leaving anyway :lol:)

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:54 am

And we are off for the run up to Christmas. I love it.
As I've already bought my first present for Tony, it's not too early in our house.
Thanks Stricters for the recipe. Much appreciated, plus the flexible alternatives.

We're starting to talk about what to have. Whether to go for a meal out on the day, which we never do.
Having dropped our tradition of having an Indian meal on Christmas Eve, as we get too full. Also the discussions about the night before meal are escalating.

Boxing Day will always be pickles, although I'm not a fan, so I make boiled eggs and salad potatoes.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:57 am

will a blunt one do?

Nice one.
Send it off to "Crackers R US" to their joke department, Clive.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:13 am

Morning Gill and KKA

Gill - I am so pleased you like the sound of the mincemeat recipe. Hopefully it will be tangy enough for Tony's palate :crossed . It does have a very marmaladey freshness.Neither Mr Strictly or I like commercially made mincemeat, it is far too sweet for us. Fortunately I enjoy making both the mincemeat and mince pies.

KKA - I love the pun, it did make me chuckle :lol:

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:39 am

Yes, and it's a nice kick-off for the Christmas season.
I usually have to sit on my hands until 1 October for a thread. ;)

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:05 pm

We normally have some kind of fish dish the night before. As I've made some gooseberry chutney this year, I am thinking of going down the mackerel route.

Postby Pampy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:35 pm

Nearly time to get the sprouts on!

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:37 pm

Nice one Pampy :lol: :limbobanana :tiptoesanta

Postby mark111757 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:28 pm

SSC

My experience with mincemeat, fruit...,.for quite a few years I did Gordon's mincemeat palmiers.fruit and booze. And the mincemeat was always consistent. My first experience with pink Lady apples.

Lorraine Pascale's maple glazed mince stars. Used a jar of Robertson's which I would never do again. Along with orange zest and orange juice. The idea was great but Robertson's, never again.

Willie Harcourt coose has a recipe for mince pies

https://www.williescacao.com/recipes/da ... ince-pies/

Postby jeral » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:48 pm

mark111757 wrote: ... [clip]...
Willie Harcourt coose has a recipe for mince pies

https://www.williescacao.com/recipes/da ... ince-pies/

Cor blimey, I wouldn't dare make those - they'd be gone before they hit the plate!

If I could make Viennese whirl pastry, the little pies with shortcrust case and a whirl topping would disappear quickly too.

Postby mark111757 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:30 pm

Oops...booze in willies....still sounds good tho

For the mincemeat:

50g Peruvian Chulucanas 70 dark chocolate, finely grated

3 apples, such as russet or cox, grated and with the juice squeezed out

100g semi-dried apricots, roughly chopped

100g sultanas

100g raisins

100g currants

2 tbsp each light brown and dark brown muscovado sugar

1tsp each ground cinnamon, grated nutmeg and mixed spice

Zest and juice of 2 lemons or 2 oranges

5 tbsp of Apple Brandy or Grand Marnier

5 tbsp cognac

2 tbsp olive oil

This makes a little more than you will need but then you can put it in the fridge and make more mince pies later

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:15 am

It's the 1st October.
Time to talk about Christmas.

We are already talking about upgrading our simple coffee pod machine to a self grind one cup one.
So decisions will be made as to the brand to buy.

And I can take the Lavazza one, which has been a success, to the studio for a daily espresso cup of coffee.

Re: Booze free mincemeat & Christmas Delights

Postby Alexandria » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:56 am

The ancient traditional 24th of December Mediterranean Christmas Eve in both Cataluna and Italy is:

The 7 Fish and Shellfish Dinner ..

Each year, we drive up to my parents ( 24th is at my Parents and the 25th Christmas Day is at my inlaws ) and spend a few days in Cadaquès ..

The 25th is always a traditional Roast, usually Cochinillo Asado ( Roasted Baby Suckling Piglets ) or Roast Lamb ( Lechazo, baby roasted lamb ) or Canard L´orange, Roast Ducklings (Inlaws are French) ..

The 31st: We always have a traditional 3 course French Fondue: 1st is the cheese course, then the main is the filet of beef and the Dessert, black chocolate with seasonal fruits and home made Sponge.

The 1st: We all go out for "Tapas" on the coast of Cadaquès ..

And my Dear and I always fly over to Italy or the Madrid Capital on the 2nd January and stay through The Epiphany (6th January) and celebrate there with dear dear friends of many years ..

Shall create a post of the " 7 Fish " Christmas Eve Dinner at the weekend ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Uschi » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:13 pm

It's never to early to think of Christmas ...
I have already purchased the first magazine with Christmas biscuits recipes.
I also learned that you can freeze many doughs. Very interesting for me. I can make some ahead ...
I also purchased a structure dough roller this year in the sales for the princely sum of 1 Eurpo with roses and little hearts. I saw biscuits decorated with one and may try out how best to do that in the next weeks. It would really help!

Postby jeral » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:46 pm

Uschi wrote:It's never to early to think of Christmas ...
I have already purchased the first magazine with Christmas biscuits recipes.
I also learned that you can freeze many doughs. Very interesting for me. I can make some ahead ...
I also purchased a structure dough roller this year in the sales for the princely sum of 1 Eurpo with roses and little hearts. I saw biscuits decorated with one and may try out how best to do that in the next weeks. It would really help!

Those engraved rollers are right up my street in novelty terms, and picking one up for a Euro is brilliant. Could you make up some remouldable salt dough (like PlayDo) to practise on?

Postby Alexandria » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:51 am

Uschi,

We have an acquaintance who creates artisanal Rolling Pins out of Wood in Italy and they are simply amazing .. We purchased one for my parents, which has Sleighs or Sledges and Reindeer engraved in the Wood .. We had it made to order for my Mom and a different design for my mom in law and 2 others for my 2 daughter in laws ..

I rarely bake as I have several outdoor hobbies that take up the little free time I have in addition to running my own business and having both Business English Conversation Classes to maintain my Proficiency Level and am also studying Italian 3 hours a week at my office ..

Have a nice evening ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:24 am

Well Uschi, I know you need to get started early, the quantity of biscuits you produce.
I'm still using your lovely tin.

Talking of rollers, Member 461, I think I'll treat myself to a small Swedish one, for crispbread crackers.
These days, I have to think on how much use I can get from a purchase, no matter how small.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox