Register

Hello Autumn.........!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Hello Autumn.........!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:37 pm

Ooooooooooo Tasty.
Talking of beetroot, I'm hoping to spot the yellow golden beetroot. Which I adore.

I made a blue cheese leafy salad yesterday, with strips of fillet beef. Croutons.
I forget how lovely croutons can be. My hand was a blur when I took them out from under the grill.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:00 pm

Mr Strictly planted some heritage beetroot this year, so hopefully there will be some golden ones, the regular kind and some chioggias. We've also got some heritage carrots to harvest too. I think he will be digging them up in about a month. Plus our runner beans are finally starting to crop well.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:11 pm

We bought some "heritage seeds" from Fortnums for an allotment grower some time ago.
He was blown away by them.
They were like the veggies he had as a child.
You are going to have such a lovely harvest, Strictly.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:17 pm

I have a lot of runner beans in the fridge too - thank heaven for those Lakeland green bags - they really do work - The Lushly can't help himself when he goes a-picking - he's like a boy in a chocolate shop :roll:

The farm had yellow/purple/orange carrots & purple/yellow beetroot - they also had blue pumpkins which I'd never heard of.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:21 pm

Blue pumpkins, interesting.

A Texan painter friend has left a 2foot long thin marrow at the studio for anyone who wants to cook with it.

Any ideas?
I thought about making marrow pickle for winter with it.
It's on a table asking to be made into something glorious.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:32 pm

Bye the 'eck - That's a tall marrow !

My first thought is chutney - wonder if there's any on Mamta's site?

Btw - anyone heard from her lately? She hasn't been around.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:50 pm

That's a grand idea.
And I can give something back to the grower.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:54 pm

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:03 pm

Ooooo yes - that does look fresh & zingy! Like me, I know you try & cut down on sugar to the bare minimum in a recipe - how little do you think you could get away with in chutneys/jams - it's a question I've been meaning to ask for some time.

Postby mark111757 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:43 pm

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:25 pm

I like the brain jelly molds on that site, Mark.

Lush, tis tricky with jam, innit. Chutney not so.
I immediately half the sugar. Half sugar to froot.
The difficulty is you might need to reduce things more to get a set.

And the added difficulty, is you are simply making things complicated for yourself.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:16 pm

As a tangy-toother myself, I haven't yet found a rhubarb or gooseberry jam that I like. They are all far too sweet hence you lose that wonderful tartness that you get from them. I tried a couple last week when we were at a country show and was very disappointed. I also tried a real ale chutney and that was too sweet as well. However, I can easily make one of those myself, as we've tried a fair few over the years and can remember which ones are the bitter ones. Some can be very floral or fruity tasting.

Postby jeral » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:26 pm

Gillthepainter, Wow, that is one long marrow! Did you all get to paint it first? (A picture of it, not the actual marrow, although it might itself like a psychedelic coat.)

I imagine that marrow could be "lost" in any jam, as turnip was used to stretch strawberries in jam. That's hardly highlighting the marrow though.

Maybe a typical stuffed marrow boat with an autumnal twang, e.g. it'd be a good foil for a splodge of oxtail stew or muligatawny-flavoured stew. Or layered in a suet pastry pud?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:18 pm

My grandma used to make marrow ginger jam, using dried (not ground) root ginger from the pharmacy, rehydrated of course. She stopped making it before I got to it.

It was considered very good, but I have not been terribly impressed by any I have had, friends have tried to make a few times, Might be worth another go now it is so easy to get good fresh root ginger

Th e85 g in the BBC Good Food recipe doesn't sound a lot, as it is weighed before preparation

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:15 pm

Sounds like it's worth having a jammy go then, if Granny Stokey used to make it.

I'm worried about a savoury side dish, as I've a feeling it's tasteless.

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:23 pm

My grandma also used to make marrow ginger jam! Fresh root ginger would be good to use and also some lemon juice maybe.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:14 am

Another grandma makes it!
Thanks Renee. I'll go pick the marrow up today. I need to get and sterilize some jars back from my recycling in the garden.

I'll add apple probably for the pectin assistance.
As you say, lemon does it too I think, but apple is my normal choice.

Postby Renee » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:53 am

I was thinking that the lemon would give it a slight tang.

Most of my jars have gone for recycling and I'll probably need them now! :roll:

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:19 pm

Mr Strictly and I went to a local foodie fair yesterday, and came back with Discovery apples, Victoria plums and damsons, a fair bit of really good chocolate together with the potato and rosemary bread I mentioned in the Rosemary thread last night. We also bought some pork in Asda on Friday.

Today I have put the pork in the slow cooker to braise with onions, leeks, carrots, Discoveries, garlic rosemary and bay. It is just simmering in some chicken stock from a cube and I'll add some mushrooms when I thicken it later on. For pudding we've got an Autumn trifle using the fruits we bought yesterday, plus a Bramley. The fruit was cooked in lemon and clementine juice with a generous splash of Blackberry and Elderflower Pimms. The sponge base is a HM whisked one spiced with cinnamon and ground mixed spice. As we both like jelly in our trifle I've made one from the juices left over from cooking the fruit so it tastes very grown up! The custard will, however, be made with custard powder!

Just how autumnal will our evening meal be tonight! :yum Pity it still feels like summer down these parts!

Postby jeral » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:10 pm

Eee lass, right proper grub strictlysalsaclare :) The weather is lovely here today too, although it gets cold quickly as soon the sun sets so you'll be glad of your feast by then.

We had a very good Chinese takeaway last night and, with the other eater being vegan, some of it was mine all mine, including my left overs for today :mrgreen:
I bought some frozen wild salmon which I'll marinate this time as it doesn't seem to have much taste surprisingly. I'll do crispy spud bits plus leeks with fennel and thyme per simple recipe:
https://www.baumancollege.org/carameliz ... th-fennel/
Whether these will go together on a plate is anyone's guess... :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox