Register

What a Jerk

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What a Jerk

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:09 pm

Spot the problems? Splutter splutter cough cough.

I think your table's better, Sakkers :starwars

I was at a sizzling restaurant in Scotland, and a chap's meal came out with all the smoke and sizzling noise.
The waitress did her duty and said, don't touch, it's hot.
Couldn't believe it, when the chap picked it up with his fingers saying it can't be that hot!!!

Postby mark111757 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:05 pm

Just for fun I went to the Beeb food site. Looking for Levi roots jerk recipes. I Found a couple. One of the first ingredients was a scotch bonnet pepper. Watch out king of style, the secret Is out. I've got the series he did on carribean cooking. Rather liked it

All I can say is JO better be a lot more watchful of what he does. Good grief as Charlie Brown would say.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:48 am

ohh, I wish I'd kept my big mouth shut!

The Shell petrol station close to where I work (and the one I use the most) has been selling the Deli To Go by Jamie Oliver range of chilled and hot goods for the last few weeks. I have tried a couple of things to give him the benefit of the doubt; this is despite him annoying the whatsits out of me. I wish I hadn't bothered! A couple of weeks ago I bought a chilled sausage roll which was expensive, full of black pepper :vomit and a thick layer of all butter puff pastry which tasted very claggy when cold :vomit :vomit.

Yesterday I bought a bacon and egg sandwich which again was expensive for what it was (£3.49!!!). Although the use by date was today, it was very dry; there was some mayo on one side but I don't think there was any butter or spread on the other.

I won't be buying any of this range of products until the JO collaboration has ended. It's a shame because most of the 'deli to go range' was pretty good beforehand (with the exception of the cheese and onion pasty).

Has anyone else on here made this error? If not, then I am happy to take one for the foodie team :lol:

Postby jeral » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:40 pm

Maybe a comfort food range is too far from Jamie's normal cooking of multiple salad and veg dishes? Maybe his range started as such but was paired down to essentials for mass manufacture at price points? Have you told the garage as the chances are that you're not the only one?

In general and ironically, chefs endorsing products seems to be a good reason for not buying them I find (with a couple of exceptions). The quality of some is questionable as well as inflated price IMO.

I bought some vegan sausage rolls from Ocado, Higgidy brand IIRC, and the puff pastry (obviously no butter) was probably better than any I can remember, cold or reheated. It had sesame seeds and nigella seeds (I think) pressed onto it which definitely made a difference. The stuffing filling was a let down being barely detectable unfortunately so very overpriced IMO, but they tasted good.

PS: I can't figure out why cheese & onion pasties seem universally to contain 'orrible emulsified congealed gloop. Maybe the people who make them just never eat them in a "That'll do for Veggies" kinda way. Any why only ever cheese and onion alternative? Why not curried root veg, or spring veg with egg (like quiche)?

Postby Pampy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:17 pm

Here oop North, we have several pie shops/bakeries who make all sorts of meat-free pies, not just c&o. Mind you, most of the c&o pies from independent shops are good. A local shop has just introduced a breakfast pie - egg, bacon and sausage.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:20 pm

When I were a lad, and quiche hadn't been invented :D , I used to like the bacon and egg pies from Sainsbury's.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:55 pm

I was brought up very near the original Greggs shop in Gosforth and I always thought their "famous" pasies looked marvellous however my mother thought it was completely out of order to buy something as simple as a cheese pasty which could be made at home so much better and cheaper. When i did eventually taste one many many years later I saw that she had been correct/

I heard on the business news this morning that Greggs is making fantastic profits and the introduction of the vegam sausage roll.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:18 pm

I needed to top the car up with petrol today, and wanted to get a sandwich to go with my lunch of leftovers HM soup. I decided to go to my local Esso petrol station for a change. Their sandwiches are so much nicer than the JO/Shell ones. I know where I will be getting my petrol from in future, especially when I fancy a sandwich. The Shell station will be fine if I don't want anything to eat though. I will be interested to find out how the sales are going re 'Deli to go by Jamie Oliver' rubbish. The lady who manages the place can't stand JO either, so I am looking forward to hearing what she says! :twisted:

Postby Renee » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:08 am

There is a Jamie Oliver Deli to Go at Piccadilly station and I did once buy a sausage roll, which I think had poppy seeds on it and I did enjoy it. I needed a quick snack whilst shopping in Preston before I went away. The café in M&S was heaving, so I went into Greggs and had a very nice hot sausage roll and a good sized coffee and I paid £2.45.

Postby Wic » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:32 pm

I think things like Greggs sausage rolls, a Big Mac and the like have to be tried now and again, if only to confirm what you always knew, that they are not as good as something at the back of your mind tells you that they are.

We haven’t had a MacDonald’s for years. It’s probably looming on the horizon for us. The hot sausage rolls in Morrisons, which smell wonderful, are often pointed out to me, but I boringly recite calorie and fat content, so have fended them off so far.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:45 pm

I went into MacDonalds specifically to try a flat white (the power of advertising). Only £1.80 if I remember rightly.
It was one of the best coffees out I've had for a long time.

If I go back in, as you say Wic, it's looming. I'll revisit the fillet-o-fish, that was my standard order way back.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:12 pm

According to the Independent:

Kiwi Frank McInnes, on the other hand, contests that. The barista says he accidentally invented the flat white when the milk needed for a frothy cappuccino refused to rise. “Sorry,” he said, “it’s a flat white”.

Although I didn't coin the phrase, I guess I invented it myself in the late 80s/early 90s, as that is what happened to most of my attempts to froth milk for cappucino when I first got my Pavoni.

Wenzel's Vegan Sausage roll looks more appetising than the Greggs one, maybe I'll try one and wash it down with a McD Flat White later. I shall be surprised if a £1.80 McD outshines my 12p Smiff/Aeropress.

Postby jeral » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:15 pm

The Wemzel's vegan sos rolls look good but a touch expensive at £1 for a mini one. Their website doesn't say what's in them though. Others are available, e.g. Iceland and Tesco plus Linda McCartney of course but I think they're quorn or soya fake meat.

There are a few vegan "fillings" recipes on Youtube if interested, e.g. chickpea etc, chunky or smooth assuming a processor or blender and using ready rolled puff pastry.

Going back to the thread header (Jamaican grub), anyone know if Jamaica patty pastry is premade for supermarket or corner shop shelves? I think the colouring and some flavour is anatto (Stokey Stue told me that ages ago IIRC). Ta.

Postby Amyw » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:50 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:I went into MacDonalds specifically to try a flat white (the power of advertising). Only £1.80 if I remember rightly.
It was one of the best coffees out I've had for a long time.

If I go back in, as you say Wic, it's looming. I'll revisit the fillet-o-fish, that was my standard order way back.

I don’t drink coffee, but a lot of people have said to me McDonalss coffee is some of the best for price out there . I quite happily admit I live a McDonald’s and it’s probably one of my foodie guilty pleasures . Sometimes I think we’ve all become a bit holier than thou with food . Everything has to be organic , homemade etc . I think every now and again , having something maybe a little unhealthy /processed /beige is perfectly fine , as long as it’s not s day in day out thing

Postby Wic » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:09 pm

There. I knew it, just talking about MacDonald’s means I have to go back. Mind you, out here in the back of beyond I’m not sure where the nearest one is, I’ll have to work on it.

We did once go into one in Rome, which I know is cheating, but it was the only place that we could get a decent sized cold drink. We were seriously thirsty and the usual tourist sized portions wouldn’t have touched the sides.

Their coffee is good, as I remember, and not expensive. The other day A friend went to a talk from someone who deals in coffee and they said that the story is that Starbucks can get 80 cups out of a kilo of beans. At over £2.00 a go that iis quite tidy

Postby patpoyntz » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:58 am

We go to MacD’s often when touring around France, almost every day in fact, for a quite decent coffee, but mainly for their free WiFi.
Here at home, Burgerking is very close to our cinema, and as we like to see films in the afternoons, if we need a quick lunch before the film, then Burgerking it is. Everyone needs a Whopper now and then!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:17 am

jeral wrote:Going back to the thread header (Jamaican grub), anyone know if Jamaica patty pastry is premade for supermarket or corner shop shelves? I think the colouring and some flavour is anatto (Stokey Stue told me that ages ago IIRC). Ta.

Yes, it’s certainly traditional to use annatto

Not sure what you mean - I’ve never seen the pastry for sale, just ready made patties

I see the London Jamaica Pattie Company is now a shop in Covent Garden, there used to be a firm with a similar name that made the patties sold in chip shops, but clearly long gone

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:08 am

My clever niece was talking about McD's in Copenhagen this weekend, she's on a European Law scholarship there.
Her guilty pleasure is something like cheese chilli tops?

She defies anyone not to be hooked on these grated cheese, battered, deep fried discs. Served in 3, 6 or 9. With chilli sauce.
Interesting ...........

Can't help with pastry, but annatto I make sure I don't run out of.
It can transform a meh-dish, to another level, with 1 teaspoon. Lovely little product.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:05 pm

I know I've said it before but I have never been to a Macdos. They opened one here but it was trashed by the militant farmers. It was re=opened but the only people you ever see in there are tourists probably because there is an excellent Relais Routiers a few metres away where they serve a great 3 course meal including coffee and wine for €10.50 Their moules frites are to die for and every other Friday they do a full on aioli garni - with snails. The car and lorry parks are always jammed and you have to be there by noon if you want a table.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Renee » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:48 pm

Whilst in Hong Kong for three days, we enjoyed the breakfasts at McD's. We had orange juice, six small pancakes, maple syrup and a coffee.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox