Register

What a Jerk

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

What a Jerk

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:25 pm

Intriguing article about a fight brewing between Jamie and Levii Roots.

Surely Levi's "Reggae Reggae Sauce" is appropriation of a traditional recipe just as much as Jamie's appropriation of "Jerking".

Mind you I do get annoyed when TV Chefs introduce dishes that I've been making for decades and act as if they've invented/discovered them for the first time.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -born-chef

Re: What a Jerk

Postby Pampy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:11 pm

I get the impression that JO is being lambasted because he's not from the culture where the recipe originated (ie he's not black/Jamaican). Although he's also being criticised because "jerk" is a marinade for meat/poultry, not rice.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:41 pm

I made "proper" jerk chicken on Saturday using a mixture I was taught in the Bahamas - with a bit of help from DS who was there at Easter and brought me essentials.

In rice - probably not, but in peas and rice a good proportion of the essentials in there. You wouldn't call it jerk however -just peas n'rice

It has to be really hot on meat and fish but I don't see how in rice without ruining it.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:41 pm

Sounds like an " Ego Feud " for a bit of drama on stage ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:00 am

Looks like another silly argument over nothing, and some damned obnoxious politician playing the politically correct card. :gonzo Isn´t the Hamburger German?? Isn´t Tikka Masala Indian? :gonzo

I´d always understood "jerk" to be marinated, barbecued chicken ( or pork), so JO immediately put his foot in it when making "jerk rice". Stupid child! :roll:
How about making a Valencian Paella with quinoa, potatoes and pheasant, JO? DUH!! :lol: :lol:
Seriously though; if the original requires Scotch Bonnet peppers - why bother to sub them with the far milder jalapeños, and then have the nerve to say it´s " got an attitude".

If we´re really going to nitpick, the only authentic Jamaican ingredients in "Jerk Chicken" are the Scotch Bonnets ( which probably morphed from a Mexican habanero anyway) and the allspice - which is originally from the island and the Caribbean.

I´m off to make some jerk cornflakes....... 8-)

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:47 am

Hi KKA

Your comments made me giggle, and realise why I can't stand JO. Which is a shame really because I have admired some of his campaigns and the ethos behind the Fifteen brand of restaurants, in giving disadvantaged young adults the opportunity to get a career. Also, a really good friend of mine, who is a woodland manager and makes charcoal as a part of his living, has been involved in the filming of a future programme that JO is doing about the subject. I may just have to tune in and try not to kick a hole in the TV when JO is on :lol: ;) !

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:13 am

Twitter is going mad on this

The phrase is “cultural appropriation”

Levi takes a recipe from his own tradition, perfects it and markets it as Reggae Reggae sauce. Business as usual.

Jamie, having spent years telling us we don’t need package foods because we can cook in 30 minutes, launches flavoured rice in a package, calling it Jerk Rice despite rather obviously not having understood the Jamaican tradition of jerk seasoning. First while you can apply a seasoning mix to anything once you have it, it’s usually applied to the protein not the carbs. Second he doesn’t use the traditional flavours of jerk seasoning. The article says

His “punchy” jerk rice dish contains garlic, ginger and jalapeños, whereas traditional jerk seasoning – which was developed by escaped African slaves on the Caribbean island – relies principally on two ingredients: allspice and scotch bonnet peppers.

Generally I quite like Jamie but in this case, he has put his foot in it imo

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:57 am

I have absolutely no idea what jerk (chicken) really entails.
Much like JamiO, by the sounds of it.

I cannot watch him any more neither.
Ever since he travelled & cooked around Italy in a camper van, arrived at a monastery,
and blared out dance music from said van, gyrating and a-dancing in front of the gobsmacked monks trying to kick off a party :klingonbanana .

Awkward!

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:09 pm

Yes, JO has definitely made a boo-boo here; but I bet the sales of this packaged rice will go up thanks to the controversy!

“cultural appropriation”

By using this phrase, the honourable member for I-dont-know-where has provided us with a perfect example of ridiculous, nit-picking political correctness. What a pompous idiot! "Misappropriation " would be a far better description, because JO evidently had no idea what he was doing when he came up with jerk rice.

Incidentally, the word " Jerk" is not originally English anyway - it´s probably Quechua, or a Spanish version of Quechua.
And if we´re going to look at cultural misappropriation, let´s start with a wonderful Italian Mac and Cheese;Chinese Chop Suey; a California Sushi Roll; Indian Tikka Masala; vegetarian Haggis and a Venezuelan dish called " Corbullón de Mero" ( "Court - bouillon and sea bream"!)

My sources assure me that Jamie´s next line of products will include Spaghetti Jalfrezi, Vegetarian Coq au Vin and Beef Rendang with HP sauce.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:09 pm

Karakoolaide,

Right on 100 % !

I have always understood Jerk to be an Imbecil or Moron ! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Just a ploy for attention, Ego and self righteousness, " I am always right " ..

This is just repetitious with 2 new characters.

The Late Santi Santamaria and Ferràn Adrià used to go at it at Madrid Fusion Conventions and The Vic & Almentaria Conventions in Barcelona ..

One was against Nitrogen Liquid and the other, a grand admirer and user of it ..

Different arguement, but it all boils down to the same old song !!

You should author a book !! :thumbsup :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:13 pm

Stricly Salsa Claire,

Yes, I am a grand admirer of the Jamie Oliver school "clean up the lunches served " programmes world wide .. He has battled with the Departments of Education across the blue pond, to stop serving the kids rubbish filled with Gmos / transgenetic engineered foods .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Excellent point .. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Have a lovely day .. :wave

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:53 pm

Awww, c'mon - The Big Tongued One needs all the dosh he can get now so many of his restos have closed - have a heart!! :lol:

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:05 pm

Strangely - I came across this article from Anthony Bourdain in 2001 on JO amongst others...………….

A sampler of England's hottest chefs would include a mostly hairless young blond lad named Jamie Oliver, who is referred to as the Naked Chef. As best as I can comprehend, he's a really rich guy who pretends he scoots around on a Vespa, hangs out in some East End cold-water flat, and cooks green curry for his "mates". He's a TV chef, so few actually eat his food. I've never seen him naked. I believe the "Naked" refers to his "simple, straightforward, unadorned" food; though I gather that a great number of matronly housewives would like to believe otherwise. Every time I watch his show, I want to go back in time and bully him at school.

Postby Amyw » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:10 pm

Haha I love Anthony Bourdain .

I don’t mind Jamie Oliver . As a teenager , he was the first TV chef I ever watched really and definitely got me into cooking . His Baileys bread and butter pudding was the first “grown up” dessert I’ve made .

I do think he reminds me of one of those uncles at family parties who tries earnestly to still be down with the kids . He does do a lot of good and most of his food is right up my street . David Loftus does beautiful photography for his books as well

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:09 pm

For some reason or another, Jamie Oliver always reminds me of the Swedish Chef in the Muppets. " Whack it in there; use yer ´ands to mix the salad; add a glug or free; there ya go, brill!"

But I like the guy. I think he´s done a great job de-mystifying cooking in the UK; and anything that involves weaning the population off ready-made pizzas and tinned meals must be good.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:14 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:For some reason or another, Jamie Oliver always reminds me of the Swedish Chef in the Muppets. " Whack it in there; use yer ´ands to mix the salad; add a glug or free; there ya go, brill!"

Thanks for that Clive - best laugh of the day yet !!!

I loved that chef - he really reminded me of someone I knew!

Postby mark111757 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:38 pm

Speaking of the swedish chef.....the original Muppets still make me laugh

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sY_Yf4zz-yo

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:55 pm

To me JO is a brand, not a chef. He is to Cookery what One Direction is to Music.

That's not to say it has no value, as long as you realise that everything is created by a PR team and the backroom writers/recipe creators/testers.

That's what Delia did, so hardly a new phenomenon, and who am I to decry Delia!?!?!? I have six of her books (although admittedly two of those are for their comedy value: "How To Cheat At Cooking", the 1971 original and the 2008 update)!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:20 pm

"Designed by top chef Jamie Oliver".

Oh for heaven's sake.

https://www.garden4less.co.uk/jamie-oli ... ZSEALw_wcB

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:44 pm

Well, I suppose he needs to earn some money somehow, given the problems he's had with his restaurant business!

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox