Register

What a Jerk

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Re: What a Jerk

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:25 pm

I had to laugh the other day. When I said I might try their Flat White, as I passed McD, it was absolutely crammed to the rafters, I mean absolutely full to overflowing. The other two "posh" burger bars opposite it were almost empty...

It's astonishing how it is absolutely the lowest common denominator, but is still so successful. It's not as if the high street was particularly busy, it just seemed as if everyone who had visited the high street had decided on MacDonalds at once.

To a certain extent the same applies to the TFI Fridays that's opened up in the High Street extension of the new mall further down.

Postby patpoyntz » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:17 pm

When we lived in Abu Dhabi, from our apartment we could see a newly opened MacD’s, the first one in the UAE. The local men parked their VERY smart (Ferrari’s, McLarens etc) cars outside and queued in their beautiful white dish- dashes for ages, to buy a burger. This in a city where the street food was absolutely fabulous...we thought it was marvellous to go out and get freshly cooked and cheap felafels and shwamas and cooked chickens etc.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:29 pm

I finally got round to trying the Wenzel's "vegan" sausage roll. It was everything the Greggs one wasn't.

It was hot, not lukewarm, generous rather than stingy, the pastry plump and flaky rather than flabby, the sausage poking out the end looked well browned, and the filling was very meaty tasting and well seasoned/spiced.

Still not a real replacement for me for a proper homemade sausage roll, but I didn't feel I'd been cheated as I did with the Greggs offering.

Postby jeral » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:06 am

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Wenzel's sos roll :)
Tesco's are introducing their version this week for 75p. It doesn't seem to have a lot of calories so might be quite small; hard to tell from a picture.

My vegan friend bought some of that new fangled vegan mince, soya and mycoprotein together, coloured with beetroot. I fried some up for him and I have to say it looked quite good and appetising and he reckons it tastes good. I suspect it will catch on more so than Quorn mince say.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox