Register

Season of: Merluza en Salsa Verde: Hake in Green Sauce.

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Season of: Merluza en Salsa Verde: Hake in Green Sauce.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:23 pm

During the 1500s, the Basques ventured all the way to Newfoundland, Canada, to fish for whales, so not surprisingly they never had a problem catching fresh wild hake.

In the north of the Iberian Peninsula, hake are prepared in a simple, balanced and healthy way ..

Hake in green sauce, is a classic and very elegant dish and should never be degraded by the use of "transgentic ingredients" or farmed and fed anti boiodics.

When buying hake, look for fish with firm flesh (white flesh) that have been caught wild, with hooks and not nets.

Hake in Green Sauce:

Eco or sustainable chickpea flour for dusting
4 slabs of fresh hake ( 200 Grams each slab, 3 to 4 cm thick each piece )
155 ml. Spanish Evoo
4 cloves of garlic minced
salt to taste
2 tableps. finely minced fresh parsley
90 Ml. home made fish stock broth
1 Deep Earthenare
1 dozen clams or mussels

1) Firstly, after rinsing and patting dry the 4 pieces of fish, coat the hake with the chickpea flour ..

2) Heat the oil in an earthenware vessel, and add the garlic.

3) Take care, not to over sauté the garlic ..

4) Now, when the garlic begins to Golden, arrange the 4 slices of fish in the earthenware and sprinkle with salt, and the chopped parsley ..

5) Add the fish broth slowly, and cook over a very low heat ..

6) When a whitish liquid begins to seep out of the hake, start to shake the earthenware continuously without removing from the stove top or heat, and let the sauce begin to thicken. At this time add the clams or mussels ..

7) Keep shaking the earthenware ( use oven mits so you do not burn your hands ) and keep shaking the earthenware until the hake is white white and the fish is done inside .. Do not overcook the hake as it is a fish which dries out very easily ..

Serve in earthenware servingware with a White wine or a White sparkling wine and crusty rustic bread ..

Enjoy .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

2)
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Season of: Merluza en Salsa Verde: Hake in Green Sauce.

Postby Renee » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:08 pm

What a lovely recipe Member 461 and one which I will try when I can go to Chorley market to get some very fresh hake. I do have a bag of unopened chick pea flour in my cupboard.

Thank you! :clap :clap :clap

Postby Alexandria » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:21 pm

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you very much .. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

It is quite an exceptionally splendid Spanish classic ..

All my best for a lovely week ahead .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:11 pm

There´s a wonderful Basque restaurant in Caracas called " Urrutia" - they have this dish on their menu when ever the fish is available. It´s delicious!

Postby Alexandria » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:11 pm

Karakoolaide,

Wow .. Yes, it sublimely exquisite .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you for your feedback and all my best for a lovely summer .. :wave :wave :wave :wave

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:03 pm

I do love hake, and always try to have some whenever I see it on the menu. A few years ago our regular supermarket sold some pre-packed, and it was sublime. We go to Asda. I don't think I've seen it on sale there for a while though. Mr Strictly and I both loved it so I would make a beeline for it if I saw it again.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:05 pm

Strictly Salsa,

Thank you for your feedback. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Hake should be available shortly and it is readily available here from mid or late August through the Winter time ..

So take a look at the fish mongers in your vicinity ..

It is quite a sublime exquisite White fish .. And can be prepared in so many ways too ..

On a personal note I really enjoy it:

Merluza a la Gallega ( With Smoked Paprika = Pimentón ) and / or Merluza a la Sidra Asturiana ( Oven baked With Asturian Apple Cider ) too ..

Have a lovely summer .. :wave :wave

Postby Alexandria » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:05 pm

Strictly Salsa,

Thank you for your feedback. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Hake should be available shortly and it is readily available here from mid or late August through the Winter time ..

So take a look at the fish mongers in your vicinity ..

It is quite a sublime exquisite White fish .. And can be prepared in so many ways too ..

On a personal note I really enjoy it:

Merluza a la Gallega ( With Smoked Paprika = Pimentón ) and / or Merluza a la Sidra Asturiana ( Oven baked With Asturian Apple Cider ) too ..

Have a lovely summer .. :wave :wave

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:50 am

Morning all

We managed to find some frozen hake in our local Iceland store this week, and I cooked the first of them last night. Luckily the pack instructions said best cooked from defrost, which I duly did. Last night I looked at the cooking times and it said pan fry for 8-10 minutes...from defrosted!!! When I looked at the thickness of them I thought 'Nah, five minutes max will do'. I tossed them in paprika seasoned flour and they were perfectly cooked after just under 5 minutes. I served them with mini roasties/Pommes Parmentier and runner beans. Our kitchen smelt wonderful, and brought back memories of delicious meals eaten at a Spanish bear bar/restaurant from my childhood.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:51 am

Strictly Salsa,

Sounds wonderful .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

A cross between Galician Style and what we call here, Merluza Romana ( dusted with flour and sautéed in Evoo ) ..

Hake can get dried out very easily .. So, you were quite on target, about not over saute-ing ..

Have a great weekend and Thank you for your feedback .. :clap

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox