Register

From this weeks aldi's flyer

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

From this weeks aldi's flyer

Postby mark111757 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:19 pm

If I needed them I would be so there

IMG_20180812_140650_254.jpg
IMG_20180812_140650_254.jpg (258.07 KiB) Viewed 6180 times

Re: From this weeks aldi's flyer

Postby Renee » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:23 pm

I tend to go for better quality chicken these days Mark. I can buy nice freerange chickens with much more flavour and at a reasonable price from Aldi.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:03 pm

I only buy CCPAE ecological chickens and eggs ( Consejo Catalán de La Producción Agricola Ecologica = The Catalan Advisory Consultancy of The Production of Ecological Agriculture ) ..

The following are the requirements to be ecological here:

1) No anti-biodtics or medicines are given to the chicks, or chickens ..
2) No force feeding ( force feeding is prohibited ) ..
3) Ecological from day of birth to slaughter ..
4) Alimentations is 100% ecological ..

www.agroecologia.net ( In Spanish )

We pay quite a bit more, however, we are not eating chickens who have been fed anti-biodics or that are force fed amongst other dilemas including transgenetic of Gmo Alimentation to the poultry.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:03 pm

I only buy CCPAE ecological chickens and eggs ( Consejo Catalán de La Producción Agricola Ecologica = The Catalan Advisory Consultancy of The Production of Ecological Agriculture ) ..

The following are the requirements to be ecological here:

1) No anti-biodtics or medicines are given to the chicks, or chickens ..
2) No force feeding ( force feeding is prohibited ) ..
3) Ecological from day of birth to slaughter ..
4) Alimentations is 100% ecological ..

www.agroecologia.net ( In Spanish )

We pay quite a bit more, however, we are not eating chickens who have been fed anti-biodics or that are force fed amongst other dilemas including transgenetic of Gmo Alimentation to the poultry.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:09 pm

mark111757, that Aldi price of 79c/lb looks about 20% cheaper than Aldi website barn-raised ones here (assuming 1.30 £/$ RoE), so a very good deal providing a lot of meals from it. I assume similar welfare standard is employed by Aldi in the US.

Aldi's free range large chicken here is a touch more than double the price. Is it catching on where you are any more than it was when we last spoke about it a few months ago?

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:18 pm

We have here the Red Tractor symbol which is supposed to indicate reasonable welfare and quality standards

My local supermarket (Morrison's) has whole large Red Tractor chickens of a similar size - average 2.15 kg = 4lb 12oz. - for £2.49 per kg.

Which I make $1.45 per lb, quite a difference from 79 cents!

The Aldi equivalent is British but not marked with the Red Tractor symbol, no information on how they are kept. I make them $0.99 per lb roughly, so approaching the US cost.

Organic chickens are far more expensive than either.

Member 461, I have never heard of anyone force feeding a chicken for meat, I can't imagine the labour cost would make it economic; gavage (feeding via an oesophageal tube) is done only for geese and ducks to produce foie gras. It's a skilled, labour intensive task.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:52 pm

Sue,

I had never heard of force feeding chickens either (only ducks or geese for Foie Gras), however, if you look at the Spanish website, the Spanish is very simple, and it is written very clearly ..

It could be referring to capons or turkies perhaps, however, this is not mentioned.

The regulations, I believe are standard, and the prohibitions, however, whoever wrote the regulations & the prohibitions, should of been more specific in which animals they are referring to ..

Have a nice day .. :wave

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:11 pm

My Spanish is not good, but even using Google translate I can't find any reference to feeding chickens, let alone force feeding? I think I'd need the exact quote to be certain

I searched in English, and the only references I can find to gavage of chickens are to feeding sick birds to help them recover - none to agricultural use, which I'm pretty sure would be illegal in UK (and possibly throughout EU?)

There is no obvious reference to force feeding on Compassion in World Farming or Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's Chicken Out campaign, which are likely sources of information on bad practice.

Odd

Postby Alexandria » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:20 pm

Sue,

Below you shall find the Catalan Advisory of Ecological Agricultural Production website, in Spanish ..

There are uncountable documents regarding the matters of what we prohibit and what is our norms which are quite strict in regards to transgenetics (gmos) and the feed of the farm animals as well as all the rules a Farmer must abide by legally in Cataluna ..

www.ccae.org ( Consejo Catalàn de La Producción Agricola Ecologia )

I must get packed as I am leaving tomorrow once again ..

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 pm

I know price is very very important for some people but I would have to be absolutely desperate before buying chicken at such a low price - way below the cost of raising a bird under most circumstances even if they are sold as a loss leader.

I usually buy our butcher's free range chickens but whatever the minimum standard I will touch is Label Rouge which are purely corn fed and genuinely free range.

Of course we have our own chickens, but I'm too soft to see them off to the pot! They are mostly fed organically - their grain food is but the sometimes get a yogurt and they love noodles and rice. They are free range and their eggs are heavenly. We have several varieties and they have names.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby mark111757 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:58 pm

Joan

If you were talking about the aldi's chix for 79c a pound, as I said, I would be there. Being on disability it helps to make the choices .

The idea of a mom and pop or independent butcher shop is a pipe dream around here.

Before I left the store, 2013, aldi had grass fed mince for 2 or 3dollars per 454g more than their regular offering. I think it was 80/20 for 2.79$ a pound and figure around a kilo of mince per package. I can freeze what I don't use.

Postby mark111757 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:36 pm

Thought someone talked about bison, found this by accident...

IMG_20180909_143317_130.JPG
IMG_20180909_143317_130.JPG (176.5 KiB) Viewed 6005 times

Postby jeral » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:30 pm

Interesting. Do you know if the bison is a one off or is it a regular item that happens to be on special offer? I gather bison are tiny, only growing up to a mere 12 foot long :shock:

I don't recall bison being mentioned on here (could be wrong) although we did start farming buffalo a few years ago, mainly for their milk for mozzarella cheese I think.

Buffalo ain't bison though. Are you going to try it?

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:54 pm

You can sometimes buy buffalo meat (water buffalo not bison) round here, hard to tell from beef
I think I might have had bison in Poland but it was in a stew, so not very distinctive

Postby mark111757 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:30 pm

Jeral

Not sure but I suspect that it is a one off. They do those very well when they do then. If I were to get a pound of bison meat I would do it on the BBQ or griddle on with a little salt. That would be something special, for a girl friend or close friend.
I want to be able to taste the meat and not lot of seasoning

I had Buffalo mozz several years ago when I worked at the store, not aldi...to me it had more of a stronger mozzarella-y taste. Not unpleasant..

I want to try the bison. If I do I will let you know here...,

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox