Register

A cheap recipe??

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

A cheap recipe??

Postby mark111757 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:56 pm

From Miguel Barclay's book super easy one pound meals. There was a nice write up on the book. It looks really tasty too.

IMG_20180811_155329_568.JPG
IMG_20180811_155329_568.JPG (98.57 KiB) Viewed 3205 times

Re: A cheap recipe??

Postby Renee » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:42 pm

That looks quite delicious Mark!

I will look up the book. I spend far too much on food.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:46 pm

It looks very reasonable - but the problem is that pricing is for 1/4 pack of pastry (possibly less) -?to make it at that price you have to find a way of not wasting the rest

Postby Renee » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:06 pm

I suppose the rest could be cut into three and put in the freezer maybe?

It's interesting that he's an ex-biochemist:

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/lifest ... l-barclay/

Postby Alexandria » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:37 pm

Great idea Mark .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

My 3 ways of doing a similar récipe however, not with frozen puff pastry .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

I prepare a Coca, a Mallorcan Pizza ( fresh tomato and Mozzarella di Bufala ) instead of using a pre-bought "puff pastry" .. ( personally I never use pre bought frozen products ) ..

The recipe is very simple and one can place the tomato paste, on the base, place the blanched spinach and the egg, and cheese on top and bake ..

Coca Pastry Dough:

375 Grams of whole meal or whole flour ( Bio if you wish )
155 ml. Evoo - Spanish
155 ml. white wine of choice
salt to taste

I bake in a pre heated oven in an earthware or on a baking tray, pre greased lightly with Evoo at 180 Degrees Centig.

Or I use, a fresh baked Chapata bread, from the Bakery, and sliced in half and prepare ingredients on each slice and bake ! Very reasonable in cost and fabulous !

There is also a Galician bread that I use called an Hogaza, which is approx. the size of a large pizza, and slice in half, pull out the interior and place the blanched spinach and egg and bake it until bread is toasted and eggs are baked to your liking .. Another Spanish goodie ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:49 am

Renee wrote:I suppose the rest could be cut into three and put in the freezer maybe?

It's interesting that he's an ex-biochemist:

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/lifest ... l-barclay/

Puff pastry does freeze really well. I have often done that because the full pack is far too much for me and Mr Strictly to eat in one go. Especially if I want a small amount for party nibbles at Christmas time when it's just the two of us (namely Strictly Final night!)

That Fiorentina tart does look lovely though.

Postby jeral » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:42 pm

My bought ready-rolled sheet pastry goes in the freezer asap after buying as I reckon it goes stale quickly in the fridge.

Re cost, a sheet (enough for two quite big oblong flat tart bases) costs c.£1.60 so £0.80 per tart base for a meal-sized one. Made-up pizzas seem disproportionately expensive now for what you get so rattling up a couple of Fiorentinas with its good balance of food toppings is eminently sensible.

Also, having defrosted the pastry sheet for use, it should only be refrozen if cooked first. Better therefore to cook both bases, one with toppings and one without if wished then add fresh toppings before reheating that one from frozen.

Such tarts are fairly foolproof provided toppings added aren't too wet so making the base soggy and, as the instructions say, baked on a preheated tray.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox