Register

New food TV this upcoming week

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

New food TV this upcoming week

Postby mark111757 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:22 pm

The king of stylee is back

IMG_20180811_150117_674.JPG
IMG_20180811_150117_674.JPG (90.97 KiB) Viewed 7901 times

8 part series Mondays at 830pm on channel 4

The other one, not familiar with her but will give it a go

IMG_20180811_145747_585.JPG
IMG_20180811_145747_585.JPG (118.21 KiB) Viewed 7901 times

Wednesday on BBC 2, 8pm and 830pm

Re: New food TV this upcoming week

Postby Alexandria » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:28 pm

Mark,

Thank you for posting and surely shall try my best if available to catch the Italian Series .. :clap :clap :clap :clap

I am a grand fan of Gennaro ..

I had seen the Two Greedy Italian Series with The Late Antonio Carlucci and Gennaro and own all their books and Dvds as well .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

I have BBC TV so there should not be an issue, except I shall need to check 1 hour earlier on time here in Barcelona ..

Have a lovely summer .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renee » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:29 pm

Thanks so much Mark. I will definitely watch Jamie Cooks Italy and it sounds as though it's going to be a fabulous series!

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:53 am

At times like this I wish I liked Jamie Oliver more than I do, because I love Gennaro Contaldo and Italian food. :(

Postby mark111757 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:52 pm

So far so good with both series....

In Jamie's there was a mention of an ingredient, not sure of the name but it sounded like, "vino di musko) that was used in sweet and sour rabbit. Could someone please point me in a better direction on it.

Thanks to all.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:00 pm

Mark,

Moscatel or Muscat or Muscato (mono varietal) is a fairly reasonably priced Sweet White Wine that is produced in Italy, Spain and France and other Mediterranean countries ..

Italy: White Muscato is produced in Val d´ Aosta or better known as Valle D´Asti, Piedmont, Italy .. And exported on a wide scale .. :wino :wino

Spain: It is produced in Málaga, on a wide scale and is a dessert wine, exported worldwide .. :wino

Perhaps, a local wine retailer in your vicinity can provide you with a tasting .. :wino :wino

Have a nice summer .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:15 pm

mark111757: Jamie's recipe says "150ml full-bodied Sicilian red wine".
https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/gam ... ur-rabbit/

From searching, there's a Sicilian wine from the Mascali grape, which might be shortened to vino di masca I guess.

There's a translated Wikipedia page which says the the wine is high ABV, i.e. 13-14%, which is very high, but doesn't give tasting notes. I'd imagine a Shiraz (Syrah), also used in Sicily could be a substitute; it's sold in the US. I'd say it has a fruitier taste than cabernet sauvignon say, so it wouln't be at odds with the recipe. Shiraz ABV is usually 12.5 to 13.5% as sold here, as an everyday priced table wine.

Actually, the best thing would be to watch the programme again with subtitles...

Postby jeral » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:16 pm

Right, programme with subtitles, typed verbatim from subtitles: (courtesy Ch.4 TV)

"... and a good glug of a local speciality called vino di musto. This is a very classic flavour to this area. It's when they take the leftover must from making the wine. It's like all the bits of skin and stuff like that. And what they do instead of throwing it away, they reboil it with sugar. At home, a thick balsamic vinegar with also do the trick.
"

So, the recipe differs . It does say 100ml thick balsamic vinegar, but where it says 150 ml full-bodied Sicilian red wine, the programme shows Nonna using white wine with a tablespoon of sugar (the sugar becomes honey in the website recipe).

I don't think "thick balsamic vinegar" is actually sold here - I could be wrong - but it's well known that one can make a balsamic reduction by simmering ordinary balsamic vinegar very gently to evaporate steam until it thickens. However, as the recipe "stew" reduces anyway, might as well just use ordinary balsamic.

Rabbit in red wine is a common recipe, so perhaps the website version is just playing safe.

Postby jeral » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:20 pm

Actually, another member on here likes rabbit, so I'm wondering what her take is on Jamie's recipe overall.

Postby mark111757 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:05 pm

This might help

À

It's called Mosto - some info in Spanish here
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosto
and from http://www.decanterwines.co.uk/
"Mosto (Must) Fresh grape juice that has not begun fermentation. In Jerez and some other areas Mosto, the name used in Spain for Must, is applied to wines which are fermented but have not been subjected to the ageing process. Mosto Flor or Mosto Yema is free run juice flowing from grapes crushed by their own weight without any mechanical pressing. Mosto Primera or Primeras is the Must extracted through light pressure. Mosto Segundo or Segundas is the juice extracted by applying maximum pressure. Mosto a la Piquera is liquid extracted by means of a wine press. Mosto al Deslío is recently fermented wine that is separated from its sediment (lees)."

Found the above info at Andalusia.com

I thought grappa was similar, made from skins, etc. Of course I heard t was not terribly good for you either. You can't win.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:28 pm

Mark,

Thank you for the info .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Yes, I know Mosto which is sold at Bars to people who do not drink wine and for people with urinary problems. It is popular as well with young people under 18.

It comes in White or Red ( grape juice ) and it is sweet ..

Some people use in cooking instead of Sweet Wines ..

Have a nice summer and weekend ahead .. :wave

Postby mark111757 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:53 pm

Instead of rabbit which is next to impossible to find unless you hunt for it, what about chix legs and thighs???

Still not having any luck finding a place here in the states that sells vino di mosto. Got to be at least one place.....

He is not the only one that does it but it is a real real pain in the ass. As I have talked about before. TV offers one thing and the book or printed recipe offer something different

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:14 pm

You are not the only one who has trouble finding some of these ingredients. So do we, and we only live about 30-40 miles from London. Polish, Indian and Carribbean stuff is easy to get hold of because the town we live in is quite multicultural. We can get some Mediterranean things but not all.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:36 pm

Mark,

I have no idea where you are across the blue pond, however, here are a couple of suggestions:

1) Latin grocers or Latin Sections of Supermarkets ..
2) Substitute a Spanish Semi sweet white wine from Moscatel grapes .. Check with a good wine retailer .. A top Brand is Miguel Torres, Esmeralda and it is not an expensive wine.
3) www.latienda.com ( however, they are costly )
4) www.amazon.com
5) Zabars, Manhattan ..
6) If you are in Manhattan, there is a European Market on the corner of Avda. America & West 9th Street on the right side going north .. They carry Italian, French and Spanish Products including olives in brine in oak barrels ..

Hope this has assisted ..

Postby Alexandria » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:44 pm

Mark,

Since I just checked on Amazon out of curiousity, I almost fell off my desk chair when I saw the price of Grape Must .. $ 14.00 Usd ..

This is highway robbery + shipping costs surely !

A bottle of Must here, is 1.25 Euros or 1.50 Euros in a Bar ..

And surely you do not need very much of it for a récipe of rabbit or chicken !

You could buy a 1/4 kilo or 1/2 kilo of White / Green grapes, de-seed and throw in a blender or use a stick blender and créate your own juice !!

Good luck !! :clap :clap :clap

Postby mark111757 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:01 pm

I was able to find this out (I love the internet)

https://www.amazon.com/Saba-Grape-Must- ... B0079VJAHW

I would gave it a try

Postby Alexandria » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:00 pm

Mark,

How did it turn out ?

Have a nice evening .. :wave

Postby Alexandria » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:00 pm

Mark,

How did it turn out ?

Have a nice evening .. :wave

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox