Register

Basil plant on indoor windowsill - question...

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Basil plant on indoor windowsill - question...

Postby jeral » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:50 pm

Q: Which leaves do you take when needed, yet keep the plant intact? E.g. pinch off the top leaves or tear off odd ones lower down? (Ouch, death by a thousand cuts?)

I bought a supermarket basil plant a month ago that amazingly is still alive and healthy.

Also, re-pot it soon? It's roots are starting to show below the little pot it's in.

Ta.

Re: Basil plant on indoor windowsill - question...

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Ooooo, get the basil into a pot now, Jeral.
Mine's been unwatered for a month, and going great guns. I gave it a big drink when I came back from holiday, and it's thriving.

Pick right down the bottom of a shoot/ stem. It will grow back again in no time. I cannot keep up with mine.
(Supermarket pot, trans-planted from window sill to outdoors in July).

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:27 pm

I always pinch out the tips when picking. This makes them much bushier, and you get more tips and then... I grew some from seed this year, they have loved the heat and I picked about a pint two days ago and could do it again this weekend

Postby Alexandria » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:50 pm

We grow our Genovese, Ligurian Basil ( seeds from Pra, Ligura, west of Genoa ) ..

This variety of basil does not like direct sun, and it does best between 21 degrees centig and 26 degrees centigrade ..

One more point, this type of basil does best in "salty air" close to the Mediterranean Sea ..

My parents Genovese basil does wonderfully under these conditions which are very similar to the hill country of Genoa, Ligura ..

We have to take our´s off the terrace in the autumn and keep them indoors with non direct sun ..

Plants are like people and animals, each with its own likes or dislikes and / or ability to adapt to climatic changes or illumination ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renee » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:56 pm

Yes, the leaves of basil are very delicate, so will be best kept in the shade. I will pick one up at the supermarket very soon. There are two types that I can find in some supermarkets, the one with tiny leaves and the other has larger leaves. I'm wondering which one to get now.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:09 pm

There was a Genoese basil on the roof terrace in Pompeii. Huge plant, spinach sized leaves, and almost waxy surface. Incredibly strong flavour. Mine is good, but not that good. Warmth from March and possibly sea breezes too I guess

I have also grown Thai basil for the last few years. That is doing well and I’ve frozen some.

I wanted a plant or two of Greek / Provençal basil (the one that is very compact with tiny leaves) but could get neither plants nor seeds this year for some reason. It is s slightly different flavour, and is the only one that dries well (there’s often a small % in herbes de Provence) The Greeks say that if you keep the pot on the outdoor table it will keep insects away

Postby Wic » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:26 pm

Mine lives on the kitchen table in the window, in full sun for most of the day, and is more than happy there, but it does need a lot of water. I cut it back regularly and it regrows very quickly.

If yours is growing well it obviously likes it where it is, (as Member 461 says, plants often make their own choices), but they are always better in a proper pot, rather than the little ones they come in.

I love it in cooking, and also just because when you brush your hand over it, it smells wonderful.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:49 am

I generally grow it successionally in pots, in the greenhouse until the weather has warmed up, then outside. A 'standard' green basil like Genovese or lettuce leaved, a dark leaved variety and a Thai one. I remember some oaf on the old board saying you couldn't grow Thai basil here because he used too much of it. :roll:

Certainly I grow plenty of each for my requirements, but I find it goes paler over time and new plants are nicer, even if I keep the old ones fed. I generally harvest the tops and take the odd leaf further down, but prefer the younger leaves.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:38 am

According to a the Herbal Encyclopedia there are 15 types of Basil ..

Genovese Ligurian Basil - Genoa, Italia ..
Sweet Basil - Predominately grown in North America ( Mexico ) ..
Thai Basil
Lemon Basil - Asia ..
Lime Basil - Asia ..
Lettuce Basil - Italian
Green Ruffle Basil - for salads and resembles Rocket or field greens ..
Holy Basil - India
Greek Basil
Summer Long Basil
Spicy Globe Basil
Cardinal Basil
African Blue Basil - used in Rices and Meat Stews .. in Africa ..
Cinammon Basil - Asia
Opal or Purple Basil - a deep red violet or magenta color, with aromatic notes of cloves .. Asia ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:57 am

I use masses and masses of basil. Different sorts for different dishes but I keep all my plants in the semi shad. in the veranda. and purple for other salads.Small leaved for pitou, large green for tomato salad,

I actually use whole sprigs for pistou - i made one last night and used half a plant's worth - but there is more growing from seed for the next time.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:16 pm

Member 461’s list sounds about right

I’ve grown purple basil in the past, pretty in some things, a bit odd looking in others, and I don’t really see the point in growing it in addition to Genovese

I grew lemon basil last year, really does taste lemony, but I didn’t find many uses for it. Might be nice in pot pourri

I also once grew Holy Basil (Tulsi), not keen personally and again not much used.

Think I’m a bit of a herb geek :geek:

Postby jeral » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:05 pm

I'm going to re-pot my basil plant tonight (weather is cooler) and keep it out of direct sunlight for a day or so.

My thanks all for so much info :)

At the moment, a handful would be all of the plant, but who knows as it might grow like a triffid once in a bigger pot :o

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:28 pm

Member 461 wrote:According to a the Herbal Encyclopedia there are 15 types of Basil ..

Genovese Ligurian Basil - Genoa, Italia ..
Sweet Basil - Predominately grown in North America ( Mexico ) ..
Thai Basil
Lemon Basil - Asia ..
Lime Basil - Asia ..
Lettuce Basil - Italian
Green Ruffle Basil - for salads and resembles Rocket or field greens ..
Holy Basil - India
Greek Basil
Summer Long Basil
Spicy Globe Basil
Cardinal Basil
African Blue Basil - used in Rices and Meat Stews .. in Africa ..
Cinammon Basil - Asia
Opal or Purple Basil - a deep red violet or magenta color, with aromatic notes of cloves .. Asia ..

There´s one more, Member 461.
Basil Fawlty :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Renee » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:06 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Member 461 might not know Basil Fawlty, living in Barcelona, but Basil gets around I'm sure!

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:47 pm

Ooh you are naughty Clive :lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:50 pm

Following on from Karadekoolaid, I have another Basil that Member 461 may not have heard of:

Basil Brush

ha ha ha ha Boom Boom ha ha ha!

(sorry couldn't resist)

Here is a picture Member 461:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=basil ... 2iYcw6FHqM:

Postby Alexandria » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:31 pm

Renée, Karakoolaide & Strictly Salsa,

Sorry, I have never seen nor heard of these 2 Basil Characters !! :crying2

However, I have a 3rd Basil !!!!

However, I am aware of the name Basil Rathbone, who was the actor in the original black and white t.v. series, Sherlock Holmes way back when that my Grandparents used to watch the re-runs of !! :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Have a lovely summer !!! :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:57 pm

Yes, Basil is an English name

There’s Basil Bunting too the (real) painter, and Basil Seal in the novels by Evelyn Waugh

Postby Alexandria » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:30 pm

Sue,

Interesting .. As it is a Latin root name ..

Basil comes from the Latin word, Basilico, a large ancient Romanesque and Gothic church with an enormous dome ..

And Basilicata is an autonomous region in southern Italy in between Puglia and Calabria with only 14 km. of coastline .. and is most famous for "The Sassi" ( the cliffs, stones and ravines ) where there are hotel spas and restaurants built into the cliffs ..

The herb is Basilico in Italian and Al ba ha ca in Spanish .. Alba is dawn in English .. However, the Spanish Word Albahaca derives from the Arabic Word, "alhabaqua" ..

Have a nice weekend .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby jeral » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:05 pm

Member 461, interesting. Basil (Hayden) is also the name of a Kentucky rye bourbon, dating back to 1796 so presumably an English immigrant. https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/b ... n-whiskey/

I'll need a bigger windowsill soon with all these Basils... :mrgreen:

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox