Register

SR flour-French equivalent

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

SR flour-French equivalent

Postby cherrytree » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:28 pm

Hello again-I haven't been on here for ages. Apologies.
In our French village we have an annual Fete du Pain which also has other attractions. We have asked the Maire (and he's given permission) for me to have an English cake stall." So British" he replied to our letter.
Anyway I've brought over anything that I thought I'd find difficult to buy here, including a bag of SR flour. But what if I run out? Is there a reliable make and equivalent? I can sort everything else. Thank you.

Re: SR flour-French equivalent

Postby Renee » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:14 am

Hello Cherrytree, it's nice to see you again. I'm sure that Joan will be able to help you. She lives in Provence now and is an excellent cook. She has family over at the moment, but I'm sure that she will look in occasionally.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:16 am

I found this Francine farine a gateaux levure incorporeal - Francine cake flour with baking powder included

http://www.francine.com/produit-francine/farine-a-gateaux-francine

But if you can’t get that then they sell baking powder in little sachets (levure chimique) to mix with flour

Postby DEB » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:59 am

Hi

Good luck with the cake stall.
If all else fails it is possible to "make" your own baking power see link below.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/glossary/baking-powder

Also remember some "English" baked goods do not need SR Flour eg Shortbread, flapjack, and things like Chelsea buns.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chelsea-buns

Have fun

Postby Wic » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:08 am

When I lived in Belgium I used to use Farine avec Levure, but it always needed a bit extra baking powder, about a tsp for 200g flour, I think, otherwise the results were a bit flat.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi Cheerytree
Sorry not to reply sooner we have been with out power or anything since yesterday following a direct lightning strike on the hameau yesterday. Very scary I can tell you. It happe. it happened at the same moment the family arrived.

You need farine pour gateaux. I too find Francine brand fairly reliable but I tend to add a tsp of baking powder as well. levure chenique in French. Same fore scones too.

Good luck with the cake stall. Hope it's not as hot as it is here.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby cherrytree » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:56 pm

Well the cake stall went well this morning. It was on the same day as the village vide grenier which meant that we had lots of passing trade. I provided samples of lemon drizzle which seemed to amaze this most conservative departement of France that an Englishwoman could make such a light cake! (Thank you, Mary Berry for that particular recipe).
Anyway we were sold out by 12 noon and made €96 for the mayor's chosen charity. Thank you for all your help.

Postby jeral » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:16 pm

cherrytree - always good to hear that charity sales go well knowing the hard work that goes in and you've done them proud today :clap

I've never met anyone who doesn't like lemon drizzle cake, so clearly a good choice - even in France it seems 8-)
Well done :)

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:19 pm

Glad to hear the cakes went well Cherrytree.

I have found that just about any "British" cake or bake goes down really well here. Scones are a special favourite - once instractions on how to eat them are given :lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Pampy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:48 pm

I know what you meant Joan but I did envisage you telling someone to open their mouth, insert part of scone, bite down etc etc :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:26 pm

Sorry if I presebnted a n alarming picture. Of course it all depends on wether it is a sweet or a savoury scone !! It would not be a good impression if someone applied jam and cream to a cheese scone, would it?

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox