Register

RIP Joel Rebuchon

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: RIP Joel Rebuchon

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:58 pm

Sakkarin wrote:The mash was actually softer than it looks, but I deliberately served it in a "rustic" pile.

I followed all four recipes pretty much to the letter: 3mm carrot rounds, with a circle of silicon paper over them as they cooked gently; the chop was fried gently for 6 minutes per side exactly, and the spuds were 240g of potato to 60g butter(!)/60ml milk. However after ricing, returning the potatoes to the heat made them quite dry, so to an extent the milk and butter "rehydrated" them, hence not complete slop.

I did not make any attempt to search out the "Rattes" or "BF 15" potatoes specified however, and used TEW potatoes*; other varieties used throughout the potato section are as follows, go to the head of the class if you recognise more than four of them:

Eerstellings, BF15, charlottes, roseval, bintje, rattes, belles de fontenay, sieglindes

Yes, the potato flavour did come out, but personally I'd say I'm happy with just a small dollop of butter in my spuds, possibly in the same way that having half-weaned myself off sugar, more than a level teaspoon of sugar in my tea tastes too sweet, where I once always had two.

*Tesco Economy White

Thanks for the update Sakkarin. Were the TEW potatoes smooth, waxy or floury though? We don't shop in there because it's not our nearest supermarket.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:20 am

I'd say floury. I dug the bag out of the bin and it said "variety Lanorma"...

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:04 am

Marina O’Loughlin has posted a video of the mash at L’Atelier de Joel Rebuchon London :o :o

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm8wCSzAuQA/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1wpxjhdu2d0fe

Postby Renee » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:23 am

Thanks for the video Sue, but I felt slightly nauseous just looking at it, although I'm sure that it's very delicious!

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:24 am

To me it looks gorgeous. I would still call it puree not mask though.

My chef friend makes wonderful pommes puree and these days it is his method I use too. I use a potato ricer and then beat in equal quantities of butter and full fat milk melted together until you get the required consistency.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:39 am

I beat my pommes purée with a hand electric mixer

A friend who had watched me do it many times decided to make it for her family but it wasn’t a success. She said “I can’t understand it. I put out in the processor just like you do“ :lol:

Postby Alexandria » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:30 pm

The Guardian did a feature on the late Chef along with his récipe for his renowned mashed potatoes using only 6 ingredients .. and no food processors ..

Here is the link:

http://www.theguardian.com/
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:56 pm

That is the recipe that I followed, from his "Complete Robuchon" book, Member 461.

Here's the correct link for the Guardian article:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... rld-recipe

My computer won't run the Instagram video, but the photo looks as if the emulsion may have slightly split, which would make it look oilier.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:03 pm

Member 461, you do realise that the joke is that nobody uses a processor, except by mistake?

Sakkarin - it doesn’t look split when Marina O stirs it with her fork, just glossy and unctuous, almost like mayo or hollandaise. I suspect you wouldn’t get that level of sheen with floury potatoes

Postby Alexandria » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:39 pm

Sakkarin,

I had tried to post the entire link, however, I had alot of trouble doing so .. Crazy computers ! :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

And yes, I do realise it is a renowned recipe for mashed potatoes !

Have a lovely evening .. :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:41 pm

Sue,

I had no idea if the food processor was a joke or not, however, I do not know anyone who uses a food processor to make mashed potatoes !! :D :D

Have a nice evening .. :wave

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:24 am

Morning, Member 461
We all know that potato into the food processor = wallpaper paste.
But the novices don't.
Your friend must have been so disappointed, Sue.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:04 am

My friend is hardly a novice, she’s the same age as me and has been cooking for decades. I was just gobsmacked that having watched me, many times, make the purée using a hand whisk she could then remember it as using a processor.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:07 am

Gil, The Painter,

It is still not that common in the Mediterranean to own a food processor unless you are a professional Chef ..

At least in the northeastern Iberian Peninsula, most meals prepared at home are still very traditional, as in family inherited recipes ..

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave :wave

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:27 am

I'm not a professional chef and I cook a lot of traditional food - Mediterranean, French and british to name a few but I wouldn't be without my food processor = or my Kitchen Aid big mixer and mincer attachment. I can't see it is anything to do with tradition.

As my Granny would have said "Why keep a dog and bark yourself?" Gran would have loved a go with my mixer and mincer. She could have made her delicious sausages so much more easily and quickly than using her Spng mincer clamped onto the kitchen table and hand turned - often by me.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Pampy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:11 pm

Totally agree, Joan. I remember those mincers clamped to the table - they could be hard work!

Postby Alexandria » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:05 pm

Joan,

The majority of Catalans and Spaniards who cook at home (usually those with children or who live on a pension ) cook as stated quite traditional, like in Grandparent´s recipes.

I do not think your grandmothers had a food processor or any of the modern "kitchen toys" of today ..

Another point, you are a home gourmet and prepare extraordinarily beautiful dinners, lunches and meals for invited guests.

The average Iberian, cooks eggs for dinner ( no machinery required ) and / or eats charcuterie or hops out to the bar tavern on the corner for tapas or " Broken Eggs " ( Los Huevos Rotos) !

Families where there the couples are professional, usually have a South American Nannie and they prepare the meals .. According to the parents requests of course and they are taught to prepare only Iberian regional cuisine ..

I do not have a food processor nor do I need one and when I am not in high season professionally, I do cook lunches at weekends and sometimes very light meals for evening .. But we have found that it is easier and actually cheaper for us to go downstairs from our office and stop at a tavern or bistro and have a bite and walk home ..

To each his own .. Our lifestyles are quite different ..

Have a lovely evening .. :wave :wave :wave

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:16 pm

Again...…………. :yawn :yawn :yawn

:yawn

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:01 pm

I see Member 461.

You do not actually cook at home very much.

I don't just cook for guests I cook for my husband and my family when they are here and always have done.Yes, we do eat out a few times a month but we are quite a long way away from anywhere really nice to eat and we live on a pension.

Anyway I love cooking and always have done, even when i was in a full time and very demanding job with a family to feed.

i am lucky in that I have a big kitchen with plenty of storage so I have room for my essential equipment.

I guesss I am also lucky to have quite a lot of local friends who are also keen and good cooks and. like me are always keen to learn new technoques and ingredients. Just as well. The french, apparently like the iberians can be extremely conservative!

Postby Amyw » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:00 pm

If you don’t cook very much , I can see why a food processor wouldn’t be essential , though you saying that surprises me considering the amount of recipes you post . Or are they from restaurants you’ve eaten at, rather than dishes you cook yourself ?

I wouldn’t say a food processor is essential but it’s a damn good piece of equipment , especially when you have tedious jobs like slicing a lot of onions or whizzing up a sofrito

I’d say it was a bit of a generalisation that Spanish people don’t cook much at home . It’s like the assumption that British food is dull and bland .

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox