Register

Foods that should Never Be Reheated and Why

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foods that should Never Be Reheated and Why

Postby Wic » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:20 pm

We always deliberately cook more new potatoes than we need, too, so the leftovers become either fried potatoes or, a favourite here, hot potato salad.

And they may well be in the fridge for several days ...

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:59 pm

My (non-scientific, entirely personal) observation is that new potatoes refrigerated in a sealed container smell nasty long before they are actually off

And the smell takes quite a while to develop :)

Postby Renee » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:03 pm

Thanks for that tip, Sue. Where is the best place to store new potatoes then? I don't really have anywhere cool and dark.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:32 am

Talking about cooked ones, kept in Tupperware in the fridge Renee

I have been keeping the raw ones in the veg drawer of the fridge in the heat, they’d not last long at 31C. In winter I have a potato bag (from Poundland, got the matching onion bag too, recommended) and I keep this near the outside door. The

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:59 am

I cleared a patch of earlies about a month ago as the plants had died back in the heat . Plenty of spuds, not very big. At first they scraped clean. They have been kept in a shed on the plot at ridiculously high temperatures. Now they don't scrape but are still ok peeled. Incidentally I replanted the patch with more early potatoes and they are growing well.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Renée,

Good afternoon. :clap :clap :clap :clap

There is not a bar or tavern or restaurant in Spain, that does not re-heat "tortilla española " in a Micro-wave, unless a customer specifically requests it at room temperature or cold ..
The same goes for most "bar tapas" that accompany a drink (wine, beer etcetra ) and is included in Price of the drink ..

Not what we call a "ración" which is a tapa, that you order and pay for .. These dishes are prepared to order ( fresh shellfish etcetra ) ..

I shall read the article ..

Just have been very very busy this past week however, it is on my list of to reads !! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a lovely summer Dear ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renee » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:08 pm

Thank you Member 461! :wave :wave

On reflection, I don't think that the article is worth reading. I found it on Microsoft news. I am going to ignore the information given!

I hope that you are enjoying your few days at home and are not getting extremes of heat.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:34 pm

Dear Renée,

I am working my Dear .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

However, I am off from Sunday after breakfast until Tuesday breakfast time .. ( 7am - 7.30am ) ..

Have been up on the Costa Brava and it was quite stifling to say the least even up here ( 35 - 40 degrees centig .. ) :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

Have a "cool summer" !!

All my best regards .. :wave :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox