Register

Healing healthy food approaches

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Healing healthy food approaches

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:19 pm

I am very much like you Clive-except I rarely eat breakfast!
My GP in the NE told me a long time ago that when you feel you have had enough food then just stop. For this reason I hate over-loaded plates.

I love cous cous -in all forms, salads as an accompaniment, especially with dried fruits and nuts and such like.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Uschi » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:56 pm

I always grin when kale is touted as a superfood.
In Germany (at least in the northern half) it has always been a popular winter food. A kale stew made with smoked coarse sausages and a good measure of mustard seeds and cubed potates is much beloved by all.
Along with Sauerkraut it must be a very German superfood. :klingonbanana

The trick is, I guess to eat a halfway rounded diet and to prepare as much as possible at home.

Mind you, my father lived on an extremely restricted diet due to his Crohn's disease and he grew to be quite old, never had raised blood pressure, had a fairly fit heart and brains that worked fine to the very last ... mind you, it did take its toll on his bones.

My mother giving him Vitamin B complex injections may have added a few years to his total of 92.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:32 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:Soups in general have been nutritionally overrated for years, especially for the purpose of charitably feeding poor people.

One of my bêtes noires :clap

People will talk about "nourishing broth"

And of course super trendy bone broth

If you boiled down a large bowl of bone broth you'd be left with something resembling about 1.5 stock pots, but even less appetising

Far more nutrition in a carton of any milk shake.

Funnily enough kka I never thought of couscous as specially N African for years, Ferrero's having gone native in France long since, instant coucous being part of the 60s french obsession with slightly unexpected instant food. Now anathema to many of course as 100% wheat

Postby Uschi » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:46 pm

Bone broth, ha!!!
My mother (and I now she's gone) have been making clear beef soup with shin of beef and a few marrowbones forever. But the meat and bones aren't boiled to death. After all I still want the marrow to go on my toast with some salt. (Neanderthal, moi?)

Still, a vegetable soup where veg have been boiled a little longer, may be lower in vitamin C and other heat-sensitive vitamins, but to my knowledge there are some that are actually easier to process from well-cooked veg like vitamin K (Sue will know).

Again, it is all a matter of eating a bit of everything. Salads and short-boiled veg for vitamin C and co and stews and soups for other things.

Postby Renee » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:32 pm

:lol: :lol: Whatever it is you're eating Uschi, it's keeping you looking young!

Postby Uschi » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:56 pm

Thank you!
I guess genes have something to do with it and my being sensitive to sun, so I don't spnd much tim e in it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:08 am

I’ve always ascribed my good skin and teeth to 40 years of contact lenses. However tired I was I had to get them out and into soak, so every night, eyes, teeth, all make up off and moisturiser on. Similar in the morning. Always thorough.

Postby Renee » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:33 pm

My great grandmother attributed her beautiful skin to washing her face using Sunlight soap!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Postby Uschi » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:22 pm

I attribute mine to good genes, little sunlight and regular application of moisturiser.

I used to make my own, but at the moment I have found a baby face cream that I get on with.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:58 pm

I can remember my grandparents regarding certain foodstuffs as having significant medicinal properties. Particularly rhubarb, grapefruit or prunes were 'taken' to 'open them up'. This would have been in addition to a post war diet after rationing had ended. Dad's side of the family always had allotments, they couldn't have needed more fibre, but thinking about it, my nan (maternal grandmother) didn't eat a lot of veg other than spuds. That said, she was the only person I knew who ate Hovis.

As a kid we had stewed rhubarb or prunes with custard as a food without any medicinal connotations, apart from the inevitable jokey reference to regularity. :D

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:45 am

I attribute mine to "if you wait long enough".
At 14, I could pass for 20. At 20 I was taken for 30.
Then somewhere along the line I looked my age.

Now I'm 55, like you Uschi, I'm being told I don't look like I'm in my 50's. Thank you kindly.

I don't appear to have huge bags, or massive wrinkles. I probably would if I had alcohol every day.
I wear drink badly the next day.

Weight too, is ageing on me.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:27 pm

I haven't got too many wrinkles but , like all my father's family, I have baggy eyes. I also suffered a lot, I now know, from 6 years in the tropical sun - somewhat before the days of sun block.

I daren't go out in the sun for more than a few minutes these days.

I too was brought up on loads of fruit and veg - like you BM because I had .a father, a grandfather and uncle with allotments.

We were at a friend's last night for supper and the entire meal did not contain a single fruit or vegetable. I felt cheated!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:49 pm

We were at a friend's last night for supper and the entire meal did not contain a single fruit or vegetable.

That is truly horrific!! :crying1 :crying1

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:52 pm

That's awful Joan. :o I don't feel right unless I have fruit and vegetables or salad in my diet every day.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:01 am

That's actually quite difficult to achieve, Joan.
I'm almost impressed. But not really.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:14 pm

Mrs B has to be careful with sun exposure, being on immunosuppressants. She got some sun damage to her scalp a few years ago, that required a year to heal. She's very diligent regarding covering up and the use of high factor sunscreen, but the dermatologist explained that exposure many years previously can come back to haunt you. If we all spent the rest of our lives in darkened rooms, we might still have problems in future.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:37 pm

I have been puzzled by Saturday's menu.

Salmon carpaccio]
Slow cooked shoulder of lamb on boulanger potatoes - masses of both but nothing else!
Cheese
Baked cheesecake

Tonight the family will be here and they have "ordered" steak.
I have some melon from next door farm to serve with local hame to sart.
To go with the steak i have made a cous cous tabouleh type salad and a green salad will also be made
Cheese with grapes
They can choose their own puds, chocolate cake - expected on the first night at granny's, Ice cream or meringues with berries

Postby Uschi » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:40 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:Mrs B has to be careful with sun exposure, being on immunosuppressants. She got some sun damage to her scalp a few years ago, that required a year to heal. She's very diligent regarding covering up and the use of high factor sunscreen, but the dermatologist explained that exposure many years previously can come back to haunt you. If we all spent the rest of our lives in darkened rooms, we might still have problems in future.

We still need sun to produce vitamin D for our bones. I guess it's a matter of striking a balance.
I am very careful with sun exposure, being the freckly type, and I don't get on with sunscreens, but I do try and get short bursts of sun exposure. And late in the afternoon and early evening when the sun isn't so potent anymore I can enjoy it with less worry.
So far so good.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox