Register

Healing healthy food approaches

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Healing healthy food approaches

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:07 am

Oh thanks for the link there Sakkers.
It refers to my Inuit comment elsewhere too, that the Omega 3 bandwagon is based on flawed 1970's Inuit data conclusions.

I heard it on Dr Karl's radio show, and could never really find the link again as it was so long ago, whenever I mention it.

Hi Stricters.
My BIL has it, and "just takes the pills". And never eats strawberries. He says it's like he hasn't got gout.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:15 pm

Sakkarin,

So sorry to hear that you have been "under the weather" and do wish you all the best for a solutionable recovery .. :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

I was wondering if I missed a post stating you were on holiday !

I shall take a browse in Catalan and Spanish, to see if there are any diet regime measures, herbs or bio solutions to your affliction ..

I do know this, stop eating animal fats .. especially red meats as it aggravates your condition .. I had read this in an Inflight Airline Magazine not long ago .. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

All my best, :wave :wave
Have a lovely weekend.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:31 pm

Sakkarin,

Re: Psoriasis - www.mejorconsalud.com

Though I am sure that you know all this, however, it is advisable for you to change your diet.

The foods recommended are:

Fresh apricots
Artichokes
Fresh mango
Onions
Spinach
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Beans (alubias which are Northern or Navy Beans )
Turnips
Eco or Bio Quinoa
Cabbages
Blue Fish Only: Wild Salmon, Wild Red Tuna, Wild Herrings

This is a genetic auto immune affliction and one cannot eat:

Red meats of any type
Milk
Egg Yolks
Corn
Coffee
Sugars
Industrially Processed Foods
Fructose

I know this is quite challenging however, it shall reduce the inflamed parts of your body and you shall therefore, feel alot better ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:40 pm

Sakkarin,

Re: www.accionpsoriasis.org ( The Action Psoriasis Organisation of Spain ) :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

The following has been translated for you:

Eat:

2 or 3 Raw fruits a day low in sugar

4 times a week: Blue Fish and Marine Algaes

Evoo ( Preferably Bio and not industrialised )

Whole meal or whole wheat Rice

Whole meal or whole wheat Pasta

Whole meal or whole wheat bread ( no White flour at all )

Lots of wáter ..

All our best .. :wave :wave

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:16 pm

it sounds odd that the butt was empty but still did your back in. I'm guessing it wasn't a light plastic water one.

It was indeed a light plastic one! I was carrying it horizontally from the back garden around to the front in order to set it up on a downpipe. I must have twisted and tweaked a muscle. It was immediately clear I had done something wrong. For the next few weeks I couldn't stand up straight. This was maybe 18 years ago, in January. It was feeling better by April, but we went on holiday with rucksacks and I felt tender again afterwards. Probably not completely right again until the September.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:57 pm

That is a bummer Gilly & Sakks because basically there is nothing you can do with a trapped nerve but wait for it to go however long it takes - & it forces you to rest up - otherwise you are in constant spasm. Glad to hear you are both coming out of the woods now.
Be careful with your exercising Gill - I've had two bouts of trapped nerve in the last eighteen months - the first one I thought I'd done moving badly at my physio class but couldn't be sure, when I had the second one in more or less the same spot ( lower back) I knew for certain it was the repetative twisting movement on one of the exercises in class that caused it - literaly next day I was on my back not able to get out of bed. You can bet I've not done any twisting since & so far so good - I do think it leaves you susceptible for problems in the same area.

My physio swears by tumeric in warm milk whenever he has a bad back - just grates it in.

The Lushly is very clued up on supplements - always has been & has a daily regime - but he's noticed a marked improvement in his health since he started taking pre-biotics, he's always taken pro-biotics, but since taking the prebiotics as well many health issues have gone - a healthy gut is the key to many problems including psorisis Sakks - it's worth you looking into pre/probiotics & avoid sugar & wheat ( yes I know!! but if Himself has done it with the sweetest tooth on the planet - you can too!) plus, you may have candida too & not know it - it's only when something goes & you notice the benefits you realise how much a way of life they had become especially when they run in families - like psorisis.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:31 pm

Sympathies for all thos with pain and discomfort. As to health giving food, supplements etc I have used a few.

I have had arthritis since my early 40's and have continued to "suffer" off and on ever since. It doesn't help that I am hypermobile so exploiting this in my youth was not a good idea - but I didn't know! Surgery is not now appropriate for several, complicated reasons. I also have extremely sensitive skin and can't really tolerate sunshine. So why do we live in the South of France!!.

The only supplement I now take is vitamin D because although I get lots of light it is nearly always in the shade. When I have a flare up of my rheumatoid arthritis I take Echinacea which I believe helps one's auto -immunne system. I take as few anti-infalmatories as I can get away with. I do use natural oils like lavender and cammomile on my pillow each night and honestly believe they aid sleep.

I usually prepare everything from scratch from fresh ingedients , but I'm not fixated on them being organic. I don't beat myself up if I buy or serve the odd naughty. We are both too old to worry!!

I am entertaining tonight and will serve an entirely vegetarian meal - very very local with home grown and produced ingredients - dessert however will come from the blessed M Picard!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:34 pm

Sorry to hear about all these trapped nerves, I wondered where you were Sakkarin, I nearly asked if anyone knew if you had gone on holiday, then got distracted

I am arthritic (osteoarthritis of the hip and possibly the ankles too), hasn't troubled me in the heat, and not so much since I stopped working, my hips clearly don't like sitting still all day. This puzzles the doc, as apparently it looks quite bad on the X-ray, so I have an appointment with the physio to see if we can work out a regime that keeps it all painless,

Lush, I'm a great believer in keeping the biome in good condition. my main way of doing this is loads of fruit and veg. But having had candida infections (I was on very long term antibiotics, and of course that tends to happen) I am a bit sceptical that you can have candida and not have obvious symptoms, and I know that most medical doctors don't believe in it either

Rather good article on both sides of the candida albicans coin here - although it is quite old, I don't think the position has changed on either side
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/alternative-medicine/4709902/The-mystery-illness-triggered-by-yeast.html

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:41 pm

What's a pre-biotic, Lushpotpotpot?
I confess I think Yakult is absolutely delicious. If I cannot digest something, I'll take them instead of breakfast, for example. I think it's the fasting rather than the Yakult that works tho.

Sorry to hear about your aches too. Bloody hell fire, it's grim this ageing business!

I've been a bit like you, Badgers. Not backpacking, no, but I was still lifting and exercising, dozy mare that I am.

Hypermobile people are amazing. I can just about touch my toes. Just.

Off to read up about candida in the link ............. another gap in my knowledge ......................

Postby Renee » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:17 pm

Sue, I am also a great believer in keeping the biome in good condition. I started with gout many years ago and at first it was just the occasional attack, but then they increased to about one every month. I can't remember why, but I started taking probiotics from H&B and suddenly realised that I wasn't getting any gout attacks. I stopped taking them for a while because I ran out and the attacks started again, so I suspected a link. The only time that I get an attack now, is if I've been ill or taking antibiotics.

I follow Dr Michael Mosley who has television series occasionally. I can recommend one of his books, The Clever Guts Diet. He says "Your gut is astonishingly clever. It contains millions of neurones - as many as you would find in the brain of a cat - and is home to the microbiome, an army of microbes that influences your mood, weight and immune system." I also have The Clever Guts Diet recipe book which was written by Dr Clare Bailey, who is Michael Mosley's wife and nutritionist Joy Skipper.

A prebiotic is a special type of plant fibre that the body can't digest but encourages the growth of probiotics. It acts as a type of fertiliser and boosts the growth of bacteria. It is found in inulin, onions, leeks, garlic, chicory, Jerusalem artichokes, asparagus, bananas, barley, oats, flaxseeds, apples, seaweed amongst many others.

I do hope that all the ones suffering with health problems feel much better very soon.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:13 am

Ah, thanks Renee.

Postby Uschi » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:59 am

Gillthepainter wrote:Stomach problems, Tony ate loads of warmed bread in Spain, and was in agony later, he couldn't leave the hotel room for the cramps.
I gave him glasses of caraway seed and water, which slowly worked their magic and soothed him. The shops didn't have fennel.

Fennel is my tummy cure of choice, too. It certainly soothes the stomach and does wonders for the rest of the digestive tract, too.
The German miracle cure for anything to do with digestion is a tea made of aniseed, fennel and caraway seeds (1/1/1). Drinking a large mug of that (don't pour it with boiling water, just let the water stand for a minute or two after boiling) for six weeks or so and the whole internal set-up will run smoothly and silently.
I can only guess that the mix influences our little "gut zoo" in a positive way, same as pro-biotics,

As for stress and auto-immune diseases: my asthma all but disappeared when I was in a panic at my mother's cancer reaching the final stage and taking care of my very elderly father at the same time - adrenaline is a wonderful thing sometimes.
Alas, it is not really the answer to managing asthma or we'd all be bungee-jumping. :tongueout

Re. gout: I have that, too, when I eat lentils. I have a feeling that red lentils may be the worst offenders, but I need to make a few trial runs with other kinds to say for sure.

strictlysalsaclare, thanks for the tip. I have always been a great drinker (water, tea and coffee rather than booze), so maybe that is why the flare ups were so small so far.
But it is good to know.
It's a pity there is no herb or food that will help disperse the crystals more quickly. I'd give it a go.

Postby jeral » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:07 pm

Chilli ought to get a mention for alleviating sinus/breathing. Maybe it hasn't as it doesn't heal as such (per thread title).

A touch or more of chilli (depending on wimp rating) does seem to be a perker-upper as there's no doubt you know you're eating it plus it seems to help what's euphemistically called "a sluggish system" (digestion and below).

Re aniseed/liquorice, which is supposed to be a blood cleaner (whatever that means), apparently is an absolute no-no if people have a certain medical condition, but I can't remember for the life me of which one. I guess you'd know if you had it (hopefully).

I suppose porridge ought to get a mention too as it has many vits, minerals and fibre goodness, which arguably you wouldn't expect from such a bland gloop. Although some folks detest it as gloop, it can be eaten as flapjacks or "lost" in smoothies or soups as a thickener. (Especially if wanting to cut down on wheat-based foods.)

Postby Uschi » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:13 pm

I know that liquorice can raise one's blood pressure, but I've not heard this of aniseed yet. Must check it out.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:29 pm

Yes, liquorice can raise blood pressure dangerously if you take enough, in fact it is possible to be addicted to liquorice, though very rare, I cam across two cases in my lab days.

Aniseed is not related to liquorice botanicallt, and I'm not aware of any adverse effects?

I do remember people working on extracts of oats as a smoking cure (to break addiction) but that seems to have gone quiet, and if it did work I think you would need more than you could takes as porridge or other food. Particularly good source of fibre but not specifically healing I don't think

Postby jeral » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:12 pm

I've never heard of oats for curing smoking, more herb concoctions like sage tea, although I'm pretty sure that 90% willpower has to be present.

Oat porridge must be good to stop starving though (better than spud) if proper food can't be stomached or faced. There are claims it lowers cholesterol or at least doesn't raise it, but given that world medics don't agree what level cholesterol should be, I'd put oats in the "good and can't hurt" box.

As I did with cider vinegar, for which there's no scientific evidence yet a huge amount of empirical/anecdotal support. Maybe it's a panacea as pre and pro biotics might be, or a magic bullet that we believe works, or maybe does but we can't prove it yet.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:00 am

I have always been a bit of a cynic where "superfoods" are involved. I tend to believe it´s simply "Marketing" so that someone, somewhere, can make loads of cash on a relatively unknown (or well-known) product. Curious, isn´t it, that all "superfoods" are vegetarian?? 8-)
I´ve been eating fresh ginger, turmeric, lentils, etc. since I was 20. ( I´m now 28 :lol: :lol: )
I´ve never eaten quinoa, couscous, amaranto, goji berries or ghia.
I eat three meals a day ( most days), but never snack. I don´t do "elevensies" or " afternoon tea".
When I´m not hungry, I don´t eat.
So am I the exception that proves the rule?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:01 am

My personal theory is that there is only one superfood, and it loses many of its super powers when you reach about six months in age

I don’t see anything very exotic in couscous Clive - just a simple alternative to rice or pasta

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:47 pm

Couscous is pretty "exotic" here because we´re nowhere close to North Africa, I suppose. The staples here are rice and potatoes, although quinoa (from Peru) and amaranto ( all across Mexico and Venezuela) are becoming more popular.
Agree with you on the Super-Food, Sue!

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:16 pm

Curious, isn´t it, that all "superfoods" are vegetarian?

Chicken soup?

Soups in general have been nutritionally overrated for years, especially for the purpose of charitably feeding poor people.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox