Register

Cordoba Salmorejo: Garlic, Tomato Cold Soup

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Cordoba Salmorejo: Garlic, Tomato Cold Soup

Postby Alexandria » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:06 pm

The Word Salmorejo ( Sal mo rei ho ), hails from the Latin Word Salmuria or Salmuera denoting a saline concoction. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Salmorejo is not a Gazpacho or French Gaspacho. This summer thick tomato soup served always cold is from the autonomous región of Cordoba in Andalusia .. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The following is our authentic family récipe .. ( Serves 4 to 6 ) :wave :wave

2 or 3 cloves of peeled minced garlic
1 egg yolk
Large ripe red tomatoes ( 750 grams )
Thick day old bread rustic country bread slices ( 2 or 3 )
90 ml. Cordoba Evoo ( extra virgin olive oil )
2 Tblsps of white wine vinegar of Sherry Vinegar
1 small onion minced ( for garnish only )
1 small green bell or horn pepper de-seeded and minced
60 grams of hard boiled egg ( to garnish )
60 grams of Iberian ham of choice ( sliced in tiny strips to garnish )
Salt to taste

1) Using a stand up mixer or blender, blend the garlic, egg yolk, tomatoes minced finely ( one can de-seed and peel as well ) and the bread, and combine to a pesto texture. One can also use the great grandmother´s jumbo wooden mortar and pestle if preferred !

2) Now add the Evoo to obtain a thick velvety smooth texture ..

3) Add the salt and vinegar and re-combine or blend to velvety ..

4) Chill in refrig for approx 45 - 60 minutes ..

5) Serve with garnishes of onion, if desired and hard boiled egg and ham strips ..

Enjoy .. Simple and delicious ..

NOTE: Unlike Gazpacho which is a tomato red in color, Salmorejo is an orange color ( due to the green bell or green horn pepper ) .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Serve with rustic fresh baked bread and a glass of Sherry !!!

Have a lovely day .. and summer .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Cordoba Salmorejo: Garlic, Tomato Cold Soup

Postby Renee » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:59 pm

Now I do like that recipe Member 461 and will make it later in the week, with a photo to follow! We have some nice Spanish 'on the vine' tomatoes in the supermarkets and I need to get a green pepper and Iberian ham. It will be perfect for the hot weather that we're having!

:wave :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Alexandria » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:06 pm

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you Dear ..

It is a lovely cold soup and shall work perfectly with your red vine tomatoes !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, I look forward to seeing the photograph (s ) ..

Well, it is dinner time here in Lisbon, same time as the U.K. ( Spain time: 22.00 ) ..

So a light salad shall do for tonite and a lovely chat with the tourists .. This is a group of Australian Ladies ranging from teenagers with their moms to single women in groups, mostly 30s and 40s ..

Have a lovely evening .. Ciao ..

:wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:17 pm

There doesn't seem to be any liquid in the soup apart from the oil and any from the toms. Is it eaten like pesto?

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:56 pm

Jeral,

There is vinegar, Evoo poured very slowly and the tomatoes puréed & the egg yolk, and it is a "velvety pesto thick soup" (unlike Gaspacho or Gazpacho which is more or less the texture of a thickened Tomato Juice ) ..

There is no wáter diluting, however, you could toss in 2 ice cubes ! Which shall create a nice chill ..

Try it .. It is quite tasty !!! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a nice evening ..

Postby Renee » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:09 pm

WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!

Cordoba Salmorejo is quite amazing! I served it at room temperature which worked well. I sprinkled Paleta Ibérica Bellota on top. This is produced from the famous free range, acorn fed black footed Ibérico pigs, matured for a minimum of 2 years to develop its unique sweet and nutty flavour. It just melts in the mouth.

I forgot the drizzle of olive oil on top! :o I could have it for every meal!

Thank you for the recipe Member 461! :clap :clap :clap

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:00 pm

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you ..

So pleased that you enjoyed it !!!

Photograph forgotten or too busy taste testing ? !!

Really pleased that you enjoyed it so so much .. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Renee » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:02 pm

No, listening to Formula1 from Germany!

Here we are!

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:47 pm

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Wow !! Fantastic Salmorejo !! And the perfect color and garnishing !!! :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Congratulations !!!! :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Stunningly gorgeous photo too .. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have a lovely evening,

Always Margaux ..

Postby Renee » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:18 pm

I'm so pleased that I have your approval, Member 461, for the way that it turned out! :wave :wave

Same again tomorrow with a Spanish wine, but not Margaux! ;)

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:04 am

Renée, :thumbsup

If you are going to have a wine with Salmorejo, I highly suggest, a Fino Sherry verses a red !

A Sherry pairs perfectly with Salmorejo .. This is how the Andalusians do it !!! :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

Still in Lisbon, and shall be flying to Barcelona next Monday morning .. Then, all tours shall be on the Costa Brava predominately ..
It shall be nice to be on my own " turf " again ..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Renee » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Member 461, thank you for the excellent recommendation! I need to be authentic! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You've been in Lisbon for a while now, so it will be nice to get back home and then on home turf for a while!

I shall make the tomato soup again and again, because it is so quick and easy! :clap :clap :clap

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:40 pm

Renée, :lol:

Enjoy your Salmorejo & Sherry Fino !!!!! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Yes, this year we have had an enormous request for Portugal: Lisbon, Sintra, Caçais, Algarve and up to Porto as well.

Cannot wait to go home for 2 days and then, I shall be headed up the Costa Brava: Girona Capital, San Feliu, Begur, Aiguablava, Torrent, Pals, Las Rosas, Cadaques, Figueres and the whole northern sea coast of Costa Brava ..

All my best for a lovely summer .. Must run .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

Postby Renee » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:06 pm

Another helping of the soup with accompaniments for lunch today, served with crusty bread.

I do hope that your tourists get the chance to sample this soup, recommended by me, but I hope that it will be as good as your family recipe!

Postby Alexandria » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:01 am

Renée,

The Salmorejo Recipe is my grandmother´s, my mom´s, and of course mine and my daughter in laws too and mom in law adopted it too .. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is a summer staple ..

However, we are in Portugal .. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enjoy the Salmorejo !!!!

Have a lovely evening .. :wave :wave

Postby Renee » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:39 am

… and now I have adopted it too!

When I said that I hope the tourists get the chance to try it, I was meaning when you are back in Spain! :lol: :lol:

Postby Alexandria » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:42 pm

Renée,

Okay ! Of course, an exceptional Salmorejo at an authentic Andalusian traditional bar is the way to go ! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

A quick stop over at Le Mercat de La Boqueria is scheduled !!! :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Have a lovely evening .. :wave :wave :wave

Postby Renee » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:15 pm

I've just been looking at your market! :o

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Le ... 2452415293

Postby Alexandria » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:20 pm

Renée,

As you can see from the Link of The Le Mercat de La Boqueria, we have an enormous selection of fresh, sustainable and bio / eco fruit and vegetables in addition to uncountable types of charcuterie kiosks, fresh fish right out of the Mediterranean and placed on ice, dry goods ( beans, couscous and rices ), olives, etcetra ..

We are located in a very strategic corner of the Iberian Peninsula and we are an enormous Port of Call ..

There are also quite a large number of wonderful bars in the Market too where one can sit down and have a snack or lunch ..

One Friday, my husband and I were sitting next to the Adrià Brothers who were with a well known Basque Chef who was visiting with the Adrià Bros. Obviously, they recognised us from their carte of bars ( and the former El Bullí in Las Rosas close to Cadaquès on the Northern Empordà of Costa Brava ) .. They invited us for lunch ! Very nice of them !

They also suggested that we try, a couple of the Bar´s specialties and gave us a new bar business card, that Chef Albert had opened ..

Well, all my best and do enjoy all this " Authentic Spanish Regional Fare " !!! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you for the link and it was lovely to see home again !!! :clap :clap :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

Goodnight and have a marvelous summer .. :wave :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox