Register

Eat well for less

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Eat well for less

Postby mark111757 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:39 pm

Ooooooops....one slipped thru

IMG_20180713_162805_670.JPG
IMG_20180713_162805_670.JPG (99.51 KiB) Viewed 6099 times

8 part series (number 5) Thursdays on BBC 1

I wish they would have included a recipe for the squash curry and steak sammich. Overall I enjoyed it

Re: Eat well for less

Postby Pampy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:05 pm

I watched this episode and, as usual, got wound up at the way they made "mushy" peas. Mushy peas are just made with cooked down dried marrowfat peas, seasoned to taste, but this programme, along with many others, used garden peas (with chives and creme fraiche) which they crushed with a potato masher :vomit :vomit :vomit So wrong!

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:55 am

Spoken like a true Northern Lass Pampy………..!!

The Lushly would agree with you! ( but adds vinegar)

I didn't see the prog tho'.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:57 am

I've put this on series link but haven't watched it yet. I really do enjoy the programme, although they are preaching to the converted in the Strictly household :)

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:13 am

I happened to catch this during the week. As strictly says, preaching to the converted, but then it's not made for us foodies - except perhaps to make us feel even more smug :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Pampy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Spoken like a true Northern Lass Pampy………..!!

I've been rumbled :lol: :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:59 pm

Do mushy peas not come in a can? :o

I'll get me coat

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:11 pm

I will admit to buying mushy peas in a can, simply because I cannot bear them smell when cooking them from scratch (or a frozen short-cut). :vomit. However, the tinned ones are not expensive to buy anyway.

Postby Pampy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:39 pm

I've been known to resort to tinned ones too - they're not bad at all.
On a slightly different note, I often have fish and chips, with mushy peas, if my sister and I go out for lunch (the only time I get to eat them usually) and it's always astounded us that you always seem to get the tiniest portion of peas - when they're the cheapest thing on the plate! I don't expect loads but a tablespoon of them is extracting the Michael I think!

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:10 pm

I have the same issue with coleslaw when it's served with relevant restaurant/cafe meals. It's often the only vegetable dish and it's barely a toddler sized portion compared to the meat and chips content. The only exception is when it's a jacket potato filling of course!

Going back to Eat Well for Less, there have been times when we've watched the sign language version. Watching the BSL interpreter's face at the beginning when the family are in the supermarket is hilarious!

Postby DEB » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:19 pm

And tonight we have ITV rerunning their "New: eat, shop, save.
Would it not be better to run some simple cookery programs which show case cheep recipes?

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:41 pm

I nearly threw something at the scene during last night's episode. Not only did the mother have absolutely no cooking knowledge or skills but her mother proudly said she didn't either so of course could not have been expected her to pass them on.

You would have thought that, with so many cooking/food programmes on the box one of them might have had even the faintest interest, especially as they were complaining about how much they spent each week.

It is high time food and nutrition was part of the curriculm from primary school.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby DEB » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:07 pm

One of the biggest problem is that the current KS3 food is if fact D&T food rather than cooking. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... nology.pdf
In addition many schools now do not have a "cookery room" and they are nearly always absent from Primary schools.
There are a number of attempts to encourage cooking in schools, but it is still the case thaate real cooking does not happen in most school.
http://focusonfood.fudgetechnical.co.uk/cooking_buses
http://eprints.gla.ac.uk/114163/1/114163.pdf

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi Joan

I nearly did the same thing watching last week's episode, because the couple were as clueless as each other and hadn't got beyond the student/teenager eating habits. The couple must have been in their late thirties at least! :shock: I lost count of the amount of facepalms I did!

Postby jeral » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:19 pm

Yes, last week's "crisps and chocolate" was weird in that the couple was quite happy to carry on that way, which I'd have understood years ago but hard now when we know so much more about health and "building up future trouble" now. Luckily they didn't have kids.

This week's (working) mum and grandmum and kids were eating well really, just a lot of pre-prepped veg and meat, Some things are as cheap actually since no waste and there's nothing wrong with if you can afford it. Most of the saving suggested resulted from switching to cheaper supermarket brands, but do we really want supermarkets to be all powerful and the only food suppliers, which they would be if wiping out even brand competition? I have mixed feelings about that. More this week a case of training needed in budget analysis and management than nutrition.

I'm naturally analytical so try to look behind the shock horror finger pointing of such belittling programmes. At least Jamie tried to get kitchens back in schools as James Martin briefly did with hospitals and Heston did for motorway cafes. Maybe it's King Canute if "Why bother?" rules and a microwave will do.

Not a rant, more a "we are where we are" and seemingly no will to change.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox