Register

Vinaigrette: Lemon & Oregano. What´s Your´s ?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Vinaigrette: Lemon & Oregano. What´s Your´s ?

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:55 pm

Mark,

Thank you for posting the Dijon 1747 Mustards ..

I use the " Fine" and the "Champagne" Maille 1747 in addition to " Green Peppercorn " Maille 1747 ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:02 pm

mark111757 wrote:Jeral

With the popularity of the bonefish grill chain, I am not sure the public cares a lot about sugar. The main thing is if it tastes good.
...[clip]...

Absolutely. In my experience, most people try to analyse what's wrong with things they're eating if they don't like them; conversely if good, a simple "Ahh" or "Nice" - as that's all you need to know :)

Our government has been trying to make us all aware of calories in eat-out food; so far it's a voluntary thing to show them although pressure is being kept up. I personally doubt it will make much difference to people's overall intake as they'll just make up calories craved otherwise if things start to be more fat or sugar reduced as a consequence.

Thanks strictlysalsaclare, good to know.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:22 pm

I actually have Maille in the fridge at the moment, it's very widely available in the UK, and they have a dedicatedvstore in central London

https://us.maille.com/blogs/boutiques/london-store

But because Grey Poupon is distributed along with Colman's, it is in every tiny convenience store, which makes it easy, and I've been using it for 45 years so it's my default. I always also have Maille Moutarde a'l Ancienne, wholegrain, which I use in cooking and dressings.

The other Dijon mustard is Amora, which I really don't like, it doesn't seem to be distributed in the UK any longer but I suspect they supply the own / generic brands in supermarkets (Morrison's the Best is nasty IMO)

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:55 pm

try this one for size:

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 heaped tbsp papaya seeds
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp minced red onion

Blitz together in a blender.
NB: the quantities are approximate because I'm out of town!

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:32 pm

Karakoolaide,

Thank you for the feedback .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Interesting little vinaigrette ..

Have a lovely summer .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:30 am

I have come back with zero evoo.

Since our last stop was in walnut country in the Dordogne, I've a stash of walnut oil.
Current vinaigrette is walnut oil plus artisan strawberry vinegar.

Winter vinaigrette is a Michael van Straten one, from his healthy salads book. Which sits in the fridge quite happily. The herb therein is rosemary.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:29 pm

Gill the Painter,

Since, I was born and raised in an Evoo Producing Country, Evoo is our main oil source, and I use Bio only, and Italian Bio Evoo for all my Italian cuisine prepared at home.

I have had "rasberry vinegar " .. It is quite lovely with Spanish or French Evoo .. :thumbsup

Walnuts are said to be very effective for reducing high cholesterol however, I have never had walnut oil and do not know if it is "eco bio " or produced locally ..

I have to ask my Grandmom and Mom and Mom in law and Daughter in laws ( they own a tiny Creperia up on the northern Costa Brava ) ..

Have a nice summer and thank you for the info .. :wave :wave

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:49 pm

Well from an artist point of view, you can clean your oil brushes in walnut oil (not roasted).
Or add it to your medium.
It won't rot your canvas or affect the colour over a period of years.

Olive oil, however. You cannot use on your brushes, unless it's olive oil soap, nor add olive oil to paints. It rots the painted canvas.

Good stuff walnut oil.
I bought mine from an artisan producer.

I'm lucky enough to have cholesterol that is so low, it hasn't registered on tests before.
Round about 2 sometimes.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:27 pm

The problem with walnut oil is that it goes off for cooking purposes very quickly

I love it for salad dressing for some things eg a salad with cured dush breasts, gesiers and the like.

I make my own vinegars - white and red wine, but sometimes nothing other than cider vinegar will do. In other words one mucy choose the oil and the vinegar to suit the ingredients.

I also have a collection of so many mustards I daren't count. One of the specialities round these parts is violet mustard - sometimes called Mutarde du Pape. It actually goes remarkably well with fish.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:09 pm

Good to know, our Joan.
I,m using it very quickly, so doubt it will have time to turn on me. We were in Sarlat.
It,s got a marvellous market.

Gizzard salad is a lot better than it sounds. We went to a saladerie, and i had it.

Mustard? We only have dijon, Maille.
I was in the maille shop in London with Luca, that you mentioned, Sue.
And bought the delicious blue cheese one.
When i got it home, i couldn't tolerate more than a teeny bit with steak.
Soooooo strong.

Postby Luca » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:08 pm

I love gizzard salad Gill, but I haven't had it for ages. I may have to go the the French deli this weekend.

I remember well going to the shop with you. Huge collection of mustards. I must go back when in the area. Not this weekend though as it's far too hot in town!

Some lovely dressings there. Now I know what to do with my papaya seeds Clive. What do you serve it with?

Postby Alexandria » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:27 pm

Gill the Painter,

Walnuts & Spain ..

Walnuts are the only nut with significant amounts of Omega 3 and Omega 6, with proven health benefits.

They reduce cholesterol ( I do not have high however, I know people who do and it is genetic .. ) and it also reduces blood pressure ..

The walnut tree requires deep, well drained soil and is found in parallels north between 35 and 45 degree latitudes .. They were first brought to California by the Spaniards in 1700.

In Spain, they are predominately grown for exporting and are grown in the Aragon and the Valenica regions .. Harvest takes place in October ..

Largest consumers: The Usa, China, Iran, The Ukraine, Turkey, India and France ..

This information comes from the Spanish Ministry of Agriculture ..

Being an avid photographer, reader, writer, traveller, horse back rider, jogger, walker, ice skater and grand fan of architecture, interiors, and fashion, I have never painted though I do enjoy the world´s best museums .. So, I had no idea about the use of walnut oil and paint brushes ! Interesting ..

Now, Evoo ( bio ) is wonderful for removing foundation ( make up ) !

Have a nice summer .. :lol: :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

Have a nice summer ..

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:54 am

Hi Luca, great to see you.
It's a lovely shop, and not the normal destination for a girls day shopping.

Thanks Member 461.
I'm sceptical of Omega 3 claims, as it's based on dodgy science and needs more attention.
In the 70's, a report concluded that the phenomenally long life of the Inuit community was due to Omega 3 oils in their fish diet.
But what it didn't take into account was poor reporting of death and disease in the country, some areas with no reporting. Giving false data.
I'm not sure if the 70's report is still being used tho, I heard about it about 5yrs ago.

Maybe it's been corrected.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:16 am

Gill the Painter,

Re: Omega 3 & 6 ..

The salmon, in particular the Alaskan King Salmon, has an enormous amount of Omega 3 & 6, according to the Alaska Seafood Council of Barcelona and Madrid, in which they import wild fresh salmon to the Michelin Star Restaurants and the best Hotels of the 2 Cities and the Parador Hotel Network .. The Director of Sales, is a dear friend & business collaborator of the family and we know him many years ..

The Inuit ( Indigenious Tribes of Alaska and the northern Yukon ): I understand from some articles I have read, that these indigenious tribes, have their plight to survive under treacherous conditions and severe climate .. However, I do not know very much else in regard to their connection to Omega 3 & 6 .. Their main diet is the Caribou, Arctic Fish, and during spring and early summer, various berries and wild fruits and herbs .. I do not know much more ..

Have a nice weekend .. :wave

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox