Register

Aeropress!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Re: Aeropress!

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:28 am

This was the hack. I'm not sure he understands the concept of "fridge magnets", he just seems to be hoarding magnets on his fridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf43mq-xmm8

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:54 am

Oooo, good video.
I watched one for my sewing machine that was more complicated, so I decided not to.
This looks fairly easy.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:02 am

I stress that mine's still fine after 2000ish cupsful, two clicks from finest setting.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:46 pm

It's probably worth making a mark on the cogs where it was originally.
Saves getting lost.

When I took Tony's kindle apart, I kept photos of every stage, and the various screws.
Putting things together again is always harder.
I couldn't fix the cracked screen, but Amazon wanted it back before issuing a goodwill replacement, (better to return it as one unit).

Postby Renee » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:11 pm

Yes, I take photos too when I'm dismantling anything, especially behind the television set with all the cables going to various pieces of equipment.

I also have the second from the finest setting on my Krups burr grinder. I have decided to wet the filters in future which will expand the fibres in the paper and prevent drips going through before I've finished stirring. I haven't tried it yet.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:10 pm

You've answered my earlier question (probably) about what the point is of wetting the filter. Of course it doesn't matter the upside down way I do it. Although the guy in the video is upsidedowning it!

Postby Renee » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:36 pm

I'm not sure if I do upside downing or not! I just followed the instructions but will watch the video.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:37 am

In the spirit of reusing teabags.
I've tried using the same filter for my second cup of coffee.
Works fine.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:20 pm

Sakkarin wrote:This was the hack. I'm not sure he understands the concept of "fridge magnets", he just seems to be hoarding magnets on his fridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf43mq-xmm8

Interesting but don’t think I’ll bother, grinds slightly finer than many commercial espresso coffees, certainly finer than illy pre-ground

The fridge magnets are one of the fridge poetry kit I think - my fridge is one of the few in Stokey not afflicted !

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Fridge-Poetry-Magnet-Set/dp/B00387CQ68

Postby smitch » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:26 pm

We've only just bought an electric grinder, previously we used a manual one, which deterred us from drinking much coffee at home :lol: My husband spent ages deciding what to get and in the end splashed out on a Wilfa onehttps://www.whittard.co.uk/equipment/coffee-equipment/all-coffee-equipment/wilfa_precision_coffee_grinder.htm

We've been drinking much more coffee since we got it, but sadly I can only have decaf as caffeine is a migraine trigger for me. We tend to buy our beans locally, either Darkwoods from just over the Pennines in Marsden, Ancoats Coffee or Manchester Coffee Company. Considering he wwas a nescafe drinker when I first met him, my husband has turned into a bit of a coffee snob in recent years :oops: :lol:

Our fridge is totally covered in magnets, we buy them wherever we go on holiday or for a day out. I use them to keep gig tickets handy but that is about it.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:44 pm

I really like that grinder.

Postby Renee » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:11 pm

I really like it too Smitch!

Many years ago I thought that I was posh buying Nescafe Gold Blend! :lol:

Postby jeral » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:28 am

Renee wrote:...[clip]...
Many years ago I thought that I was posh buying Nescafe Gold Blend! :lol:

Oi! I still do, but just for show as I prefer a darker roast.

I bought some Illy espresso which one cafe here advertises its use as a selling point as distinct from Blue Mountain chain cafes. It tastes really nice to me.

I find that the Illy grind goes through a mesh filter I have just right either dripped or as a strainer post-brew. (Can't be bothered washing the caffetiera up every five mins.)

The plastic filter is designed for some machine or other (I bought it to drain big prawns thawing lol). There was a TV prog last week(?) saying that paper filters are best taste-wise. I'll let you know after I've tried eating one.

Postby Rainbow » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:35 am

Stokey Sue wrote:Interesting but don’t think I’ll bother, grinds slightly finer than many commercial espresso coffees, certainly finer than illy pre-ground

The fridge magnets are one of the fridge poetry kit I think - my fridge is one of the few in Stokey not afflicted !

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Fridge-Poetry-Magnet-Set/dp/B00387CQ68

Just clicked on that link Sue - never heard of Fridge-Poetry-Magnets!!
The Amazon page said
"No sellers are currently delivering this item to Australia." Can't say I'm too disappointed!!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:55 am

I’m sure if you google you will find a supplier Rainbow ;)

It was one of those things a few years back - someone came up with the idea and it was in all the Christmas catalogues and a lot of people got them. Now every novelty company does a version I suspect :?

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:41 am

Are fridge magnets dust magnets, then? ha ha ha ha ha cough cough.

Tony was asking if Gold Blend did coffee beans the other day after watching a particularly glamorous advert.

Postby Wic » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:42 am

I have to have decaf, too, and the best instant I’ve found so far is L'Or, but if you are out anywhere and ask for decaf you can still be served something that tastes like water from the nearest puddle!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:20 am

Wic, husband is on 1 week of decaf coffee.
We've got LAvAAzza in, I shall let you know if we can tell the difference. I drank decaf for 2 years, but always missed that Zing.

Postby Renee » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:22 am

I also need that Zing too Gill, first thing in the morning, but I can also sleep well after having coffee late at night … work that one out! :lol: :lol: I certainly can't!

Jeral, I also use instant as well!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:32 am

You've just mentioned flavoured coffee.
I'm looking at my Italian coffee pod instructions, part 2 of which is an Instant Beverage. Barley, ginseng, chocolate etc, I quote.

fill the coffee pod 2/3 and proceed to brew

I'm not sure I quite understand, although I do enjoy an infusion "tea", for example hot water with fresh ginger left to infuse.
Do they mean fill the pod with chocolate, then put it through the espresso machine.

I shall investigate further, but there's no reason not to put a bit of infusion into the aeropress funnel.
Before plunging.

Irish aeropress coffee anyone???

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox