Register

Aeropress!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Aeropress!

Postby Renee » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:47 pm

The canister with co2 Valve is important for storing the beans. I'll see how it goes before buying one.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:50 pm

how was it stinky?

Too much of a good thing? The roaster faced the street, and on roasting days it could be VERY strong as you passed...

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:15 pm

I’m intrigued by Renee’s experiment, I’ll be interested to see how the maturation affects the flavour

Agree with you sakkarin, much as I love coffee, I always find the odour of a large commercial batch roasting too strong too be pleasant

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:37 pm

Ah, I see what you mean now about the aroma.

I've just bought some Ethiopian beans, I never really bother to grind my own coffee.
If I find it worthwhile, I'll certainly look into that storage vessel, Renee.

Yes, no pressure, Renee, but there are a lot of eyes on your experiment at the moment ......

Postby Renee » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:12 pm

Someone had a testing session with the beans and tried grinding a few straight after roasting, a few days later and then a couple of weeks later and there was a big difference.

When I buy Booths coffee beans, there is a one-way filter in the front of the packet and when I squeeze the pack, I can tell what the coffee is like! It's not very noticeable, but you might see a few holes in the front of the packet.

Postby Renee » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:22 pm

Is this better Gill? I doubled the size.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:43 am

Bum bums.
I've bought beans yesterday in an effort to get back to coffee basics.
And my ancient coffee grinder is leaving them rather chunky. Looks like I need a new machine.

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:48 am

My son bought me a Krups Burr grinder many years ago and it's still going strong. There was another one that Hungry Housewife mentioned which was also excellent. It's very easy to adjust so that you can get the correct grind and it came with a little brush which is very useful.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:24 pm

My burr grinder is the DeLonghi, I’m very happy with it, and the grind is easily adjusted

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:33 pm

I shall investigate.
My combi microwave is deLonghi. And it's made me a big fan of the brand.

Postby Renee » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:24 pm

It's only a week since I did my first roasting. :shock: I had been thinking that it was two weeks. I did grind up some beans last night and it made lovely coffee, so I've done another roast this morning and will do a second one probably tomorrow. I can store them in the bags that I obtained which have a one way filter and only cost 50p each.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:28 pm

Good-O Renee.
I'm waiting on my DLonghi grinder to arrive. But I do really like having a choice of beans in the house.
We've just been to a summer agricultural show today.
And queuing for a coffee, the stand had a bag of 250g coffee for sale @ £10. What!!!!!

Postby Renee » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:37 pm

HOW MUCH??? :o Well, of course, they've got a captive audience as it were. Can you remember what make it was Gill?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:58 pm

Check out the price of proper Blue Mountain beans...

I dithered for ages on the Delonghi because I didn't believe you could get a decent grinder for that price, from reading all the stuff online, but Stokey's reviews were compelling. Suits me perfectly, although the manual Hario Skerton grinder I got first does make a very slightly better cuppa. But takes more arm work than I want to put in...

When we were discussing this some years back, there were youtube videos about how to adapt the Delonghi to grind finer. I may end up doing this, as the grind has definitely got coarser. It does get a bashing though.

Postby jeral » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:43 pm

Does grind getting coarser just mean new blades needed, which presumably aren't available as spares if a Youtube shows a workaround? I doubt they could make the grinder spin faster to compensate (like overclocking computers)... or maybe they can? That'd wear the motor out quicker though.

Some hard things (nuts) I grind in the big processor to do the hard work then transfer to a fine grinder. Would doing that help for coffee beans?

On Blue Mountain, there's a dedicated coffee shop of that name here which also sells fancy patisserie eats. Dunno how much they rely on the eats mark-up profit to keep the retail coffee price down.

An entrepreneur was on Dragon's Den promoting their unique "best coffee ever" (dragons agreed) at c.twice the price of typical café cups. Darn, can't remember the outcome. It'll be on BBC iPlayer for now at least if interested.

Postby Renee » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Yes, Blue Mountain beans are very expensive! :o

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:06 pm

I wouldn't have thought that parts would be available for a £35 machine, but this looks like the grinder, although I would have thought the base bit would wear out too. £9.78 with delivery, but the tweak is free...

https://www.4delonghi.co.uk/coffee-grin ... ref=985102

Postby jeral » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:53 pm

Dunno what the free tweak could be, so would love to know. I doubt it'd be a blade-sharpening whet stone jobby. I'm intrigued and curiosity killed the cat, so please do tell whether you do the tweak or buy the spare. Ta.

Items with spares are good as they imply longevity of the costly bulk of the item. Not so good if spares need replacing every five mins (money earner?) but it's P&P for small spares that's most irritating IMO.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:01 am

I've spotted a small file that gets access to rotary blades.
Mixed reviews about whether you should sharpen them, but if your machine is not working, I'd give it a go.

Renee.
I've mentioned Bristol coffee before, I really like it.
This is the coffee - the stall has a markup I guess. https://extractcoffee.co.uk/

Postby Renee » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:17 am

Thanks for the link Gill. What an interesting story about how they started up in a small way. Lovely passionate people too, who really care about the environment. I'll read more later.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox