Register

Aeropress!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Aeropress!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:17 am

I am bemused by the ads for coffee bags “why didn’t they think of this before”

35 years ago we used to take coffee bags, Lyons I think, on holiday. They were better than instant, but unexciting. However, I’d say the same of Lyons coffee in general,

Taylor’s do several varieties of rather better coffee so worth a try I think, they seem to be £2 for 10, probably good for hotels or even if anyone has one of those little water boilers that plug into the car but I’m not sure I see the need at home

Postby scullion » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:46 am

you and me both, sue.
we used to have them even further back, probably getting on for fifty years, and you're right, underwhelming coffee. my mother made it in a china coffee pot and thought it was 'the biz'. i thought the stuff made in the recirculating percolator was better, even though 'reboiled'.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:18 am

I used to buy them too. Anything to not have to clean out a coffee pot! I agree, they were a bit weak, I wonder if they're any better now?

Postby smitch » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:46 am

I was given a free sample of the Taylor’s coffee bags at the station when they first came out. I don’t recommend them, the taste wasn’t great and they left bits of coffee in the water.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:06 pm

Taylor's coffee bags - it's a great way of selling you 75p's worth of coffee for £2.80.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:12 pm

Yup, I remember the coffee bags too, exceedingly underwhelming.

A bit like fashions - what goes around comes around :lol:

Postby scullion » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:25 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:has anyone found the Lavazza Intenso in single packets? I don#'t want 10 n as decaff is not my main "tipple" but it would be good to have some nice decaff in the house. Lavazza UK don't even admit to the Intenso on their website

this is about the cheapest i can find for a single pack. the postage would be £2.99 for you, in london - unless you order over £60 worth of stuff - then it's free.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:48 pm

scullion wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote:has anyone found the Lavazza Intenso in single packets? I don#'t want 10 n as decaff is not my main "tipple" but it would be good to have some nice decaff in the house. Lavazza UK don't even admit to the Intenso on their website

this is about the cheapest i can find for a single pack. the postage would be £2.99 for you, in london - unless you order over £60 worth of stuff - then it's free.

Thanks, I think I probably need to check for DEK not Intenso, I hadn't picked up on the name

I probably ought to check my local Italian deli, I hardly ever go in there because it's so cluttered, which is silly as if I pick a quiet time I can have a personal shopper

Postby scullion » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:52 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I think I probably need to check for DEK not Intenso

if you just check for dek, online, it'll come up with the 'ordinary' decaf lavazza in the blue packet (strength 3) not the brown packet (strength 5) - use both words.

Postby Amber » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:27 am

We get through loads of Taylor’s coffee (on offer in local Sainsburys today - £3), but their coffee bags are a definite no-no.

Postby Amber » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:56 pm

Lavazza holiday deals if anyone is interested.

https://www.lavazza.co.uk/en/august-ban ... -2020.html

(We bulk buy to get freee postage)

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox