Register

Aeropress!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Aeropress!

Postby Renee » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:28 am

I have roasted my own, scullion, in a wok using a couple of wooden spoons to turn them occasionally. I found it very therapeutic. This is the way that women in Columbia roast them. I only do that occasionally and usually buy Waitrose Italian or Columbian beans and sometimes the ready ground. I thought about buying a machine to roast them, but didn't bother.

I bought the green beans online through Amazon I seem to remember.

I bought two packs of the Rave beans.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/green-coffee-b ... ffee+beans

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:44 am

I threw my Ken Hom wok out some years ago which gave me one half of a cupboard back, that I rapidly filled up again.
The teflon was peeling, and I didn't feel the need to replace it as we don't do stir frying.

In fact, the last time I used it was inverted to make/ paint on malsouka briks. The curvature is perfect.

But I'm intrigued by the use of a popcorn maker for roasting those beans.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:56 am

Teflon wok? Philistine!

Postby scullion » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:12 pm

my (first) wok was used in a kiln to make a glass bowl from small wine bottles.
i have a couple of greenpan woks now. the teflon coated one i had between the first (bought in soho in the early eighties) and the greenpan ones, was sidelined to make into a bowl mould (sometime in the future) when i noticed a flake coming off the teflon - shudder.

there are loads of vids on you tube about the coffee roasting.
there's a coffee roaster a few miles from us so i may go and see if i can buy some of their green decaf beans.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:21 pm

I’ve had my Ken Hom wok almost since they first came out, so it’s aboutt 30 years old

It came as plain steel to season, it is now the matte black of a stealth bomber and intrinsically non-stick, I love it to bits and use it a lot for many Asian dishes, not just Anglo-Chinese “stir-fries”

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:22 pm

Philistine!
Indeedy. I'll be cooking with chipsticks next ;)

Greenpan look the business!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:21 pm

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:13 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Greenpan look the business!

We've discussed before, I'm a lot less impressed with Greenpan than scullion is, though I do love my chef's pan and my wide flat casserole (the same shape as that Le Creuset all the TV chefs us, but light enough to manoeuvre)

But U find that everything sticks to the frying pans, so wouldn't really want a wok

Postby scullion » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:54 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:But U find that everything sticks to the frying pans, so wouldn't really want a wok

i can't say that i do find that everything sticks (although i don't have any of the frying pans) but i do use a bit of oil in them rather than relying on things not sticking. one of the woks is a lesser quality than the other and does hold on to a little 'burned on' oil sometimes but a soak and rub with a non metal scourer works a treat.
the big sauté pan and other wok, in what looks like the 'venice' range, look as good as they did when they were given to me five or more years ago. i also have a couple of the mini woks which are the first pans i reach for for cooking anything not needing a big pan.
i'm still impressed with them.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:35 pm

I have no idea why U - I typed “I do”

I think they are ok but no better really, looking to go to tri ply stainless steel

I just wish I knew why that chef pan is better than the rest

Postby Renee » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:52 pm

I store my fairly large wok in my oven along with the other roasting dishes. I've stopped roasting coffee beans now, so I might get rid of it. I really like my sauté pan with a lid which is frequently used.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:45 am

Cooee! Scullion.

Have you tried LaVazza decaf ground coffee? I have a feeling you have, but .....
I've just had a cup using my self pod for my espresso machine, and it's pretty strong. But in a good way - I really like laV coffee.
Far better than the own brand and other decafs I've bought.

I've not made it in the aeropress, which is currently packed. But if it's strong in a self made pod, it will be in the aeropress which exctracts more flavour.

Postby scullion » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:59 am

yes, lavazza has been my coffee of choice for years. have you tried the lavazza 'intenso' one that seems recently to be available, in a brown packet? (is that the one you are talking about?) it's a marginally darker roast. i have been buying packs of ordinary lavazza through amazon for a couple of years as it works out a quid cheaper, per packet, than the supermarkets. the 'intenso' worked out even cheaper, so i stocked up (when i bought it it was £29 for the twelve packets, worked out less than £2.5 a pack. rather than the £39 for 12 now - still cheaper).
i have a gaggia classic so i don't use pods but i do use it in the aeropress, it works fine.
the' intenso' is a mix of robusta and arabica so maybe that's where a bit more of the flavour comes from and i have noticed a very, very slight caffeine effect (i think - i may be imagining it - i do react quite strongly to non-decaf) but not enough to avoid it!
i do like 'illy' decaf but i only buy it when it's on a big reduction - and it's a bit too fine ground to go through the gaggia. i would imagine that it would be ok in the aeropress - but i have a big enough stock of lavazza at the moment to stop me buying more!

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:41 am

Good prices you've got there. I didn't spot that the brown DEK intenso is decaf, no.
I'm new to being full-time decaf, only started in January, although I've occasionally had it when I've felt I needed it.

The one I've just bought is the pale blue packet = https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lavazza-312535 ... ooghydr-21

But at Waitrose it was £4.50 per 250g pack. I'd get it again, from Amazon of course.

And I've just been given a new, unloved Magimix nespresso machine (pod). It's fantastic.
Why these tea drinkers bought a swanky coffee machine beats me.

The first pod machine I ever tried was in a hotel room: Gaggia. I was blown away by it.

Postby scullion » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:58 am

my son has a nespresso machine (and now a refillable pod so i've given him one of the packets) and now only drinks decaf. the pod machine does make a good cup of coffee - especially paired with a milk frother.

i feel sorry for my kids. they react as i do to coffee and react to alcohol as my partner does (he can be squiffy on a pint and can't function fully the next day - so always choses to drive - ok by me!) i bet they wish it was the other way round.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:27 pm

I'm always the designated driver, in fact the main driver anyway, & my husband doesn't drink when I don't.
I'm like your OH with wine - I've never been very tolerant. And this year have stopped even the odd small glass.

But coffee now makes me queasy, where decaf doesn't. Hurrah for decaffeinated, especially as I cannot tell the difference in taste.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:35 pm

has anyone found the Lavazza Intenso in single packets? I don#'t want 10 n as decaff is not my main "tipple" but it would be good to have some nice decaff in the house. Lavazza UK don't even admit to the Intenso on their website

Having said which. I've got the Taylors of Harrogate decaff at the moment, and it's nice for an Aeropress/cafetiere coffee, though perhaps not for espresso, I've been using it for late night iced coffee

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:39 pm

Can't comment on the decaf but I have been buying coffee here for more than 30 years

https://thecoffeehopper.com/

Postby Amber » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:42 am

We often buy Lavazza coffee pods direct from their website. They often have offers on to make it worthwhile.

Am I right in thinking Taylor’s coffee is decaffed in a different way to some others?

Postby Pampy » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:46 am

Has anyone tried Taylor's coffee bags?

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox