Register

Aeropress!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Aeropress!

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:24 am

I’m not convinced by bean to cup

Me neither.
I really wanted one before we got the little Lavazza. But my enthusiasm has gone off the boil.
jLewis has a Sage for £250, that I almost bought when our LV was clogging. But it's behaving itself again.
I've got 2 x self fill metal pods (thanks Pampy, I'm still using yours), that are great for filling with your coffee of choice.

My sister says she has an unwanted machine, which I can collect from her when we next visit. Might be June if hotels open up?
I shall let you know the brand as apparently it was expensive. And it is never used.

I really cannot justify buying a Sage. I'll stick with Aeropress, and a cafetiere if the little Lavazza dies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:05 pm

Coffee is really the only hot drink I like, but I don’t buy it from coffee shops, unless of course I’m already out and about

Apart from anything else the essential accessories to the first two coffees of the day are a dressing gown and slippers, even when not in lock down

So it seems to me that it’s worth having a good home machine and not a huge extravagance if it lasts. There’s obviously an argument that for me in particular it would be easier and less messy to use pods but if I filled my own (which I would) then that argument goes

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:21 pm

Filling your own pods, Sue, is a compromise.
The results are not as good as a coffee pod. I've used the plastic self fill ones, and I've got the metal pod replicas.

They don't create the crema. But they do work.

On a preference scale, I'd say:

1. pod
2. aeropress
3. cafetiere
4. self filled pod
5. instanty stuff

But I like to mix my options between all the methods.

Postby halfateabag » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:49 pm

Yes Sue it is a Sage machine, it was not cheap but it does a fine cup of coffee, bit of a faff to clean but only do it once every so often.

The pod machines are 2 a penny these days as the pods are one use only.

Sage is the Oz arm of Breville apparently.

Postby scullion » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:10 pm

my brother has a sage, all bells and whistles thing, with a touch screen that you can program to get each person's perfect cup of coffee. i have a gaggia and him indoors - they can make a perfect cup of coffee, too.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:43 am

with a touch screen that you can program

Good God.
I haven't seen one of those, but then again, I don't "window shop dreamily" for anything over £200.

Postby Rainbow » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:55 am

halfateabag wrote:Sage is the Oz arm of Breville apparently.

Not quite sure what you meant there, as Breville is the Aussie company. I'd never heard of Sage until I read this thread!!

'Sage by Heston Blumenthal is the UK operating name for the Australian manufacturer Breville. The company sells its coffee machines around the world - the only difference is the name of the brand.'

If that's what you meant then I misunderstood you - sorry.

Postby halfateabag » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:27 am

You got it in one !

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:41 am

I recently noticed the Breville/Sage link and was a bit surprised as in the UK Breville have in the past been the suppliers of inexpensive but adequate small appliances that you’d buy at Argos or Homebase

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:18 pm

Note on coffees - I've tried both of Lidl's exceptionally cheap ready-ground blended coffees, at £1.09 for 230g, and found the Italian bland borderline unpleasant. I got through the pack however, it wasn' so bad if I used slightly less than I'd normally use. It still had a slightly burnt flavour though. I'm on their French blend now, a little one-dimensional, but better than the Italian stuff.

Here's the main item I meant to post:

Aeropress filters seem at first sight to be relatively cheap, at £8.00 for 350. That's 2.43p each however, and at £1.20 for 40, normal coffee filters work out at 3p each, so Aero only slightly cheaper. Another way of thinking of it, two Aero filters costs the price of an old 5p shopping bag, which everyone moaned about having to pay.

However as I was making a cup of tea earlier, I realised that the teabag was an almost exact match for an Aeropress filter. They are Lidl Red one-cup teabags, which were 79p for 160 on special offer. That's 0.49p per bag, nearly five for the price of one Aero filter. I feel a test coming on...

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:12 pm

i recently bought some of the lavazza (decaf) 'intenso' via amazon. good strong roast compared to most decaf coffees.
good in the gaggia, good in the aeropress and a good price!

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:19 pm

I’m a decaf drinker and I’ve always though Lavazza much better than any others.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:23 pm

Decaf :vomit

Update on the tea bag thing - made a cup of tea with teabag in the Aeropress but it burst. Haven't bothered following up. Could probably fine tune it so it works (original intention was to empty bags of tea and use as filter at a fifth of the Aero price).

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:31 pm

i only buy lavazza (unless illy is ridiculously cheap) but i often feel hard done by when the only way to get a more intense flavour is to use more coffee rather than it being a higher roast.
this is the first time i've seen a level 5 roast in (any) decaf. it's not just arabica but robusta, too so that may be how they get the stronger flavour as well as the roast.
i often think that coffee roasters think that decaf drinkers don't like strong flavours - some of us are drinking it to avoid the unwanted, adverse effects.

tea - vomit! (i don't see the vomit emoji that's why you've got the word).

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:39 pm

It's the surprised-looking blue one which is socially distanced from the other yellow icons...

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:45 pm

hahahaha - no, i don't see any of them because i've turned them off!
they irritate me with their bouncing around etc in peoples posts. for me, it would be good if they weren't down the side of the writing pane, too, but then i suppose i could move that part of the webpage so they were somewhere in the air to the right.

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:48 pm

scullion wrote:i only buy lavazza (unless illy is ridiculously cheap) but i often feel hard done by when the only way to get a more intense flavour is to use more coffee rather than it being a higher roast.
this is the first time i've seen a level 5 roast in (any) decaf. it's not just arabica but robusta, too so that may be how they get the stronger flavour as well as the roast.
i often think that coffee roasters think that decaf drinkers don't like strong flavours - some of us are drinking it to avoid the unwanted, adverse effects.

tea - vomit! (i don't see the vomit emoji that's why you've got the word).

Scully, do you grind your own beans? If so there a heaps of small independent roasters around. You can buy ready ground if you want. Products are much fresher.

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:00 pm

yes, i know and yes i do (three or four different grinders along with almost every way of brewing).
i have a number of different types of coffee beans in the freezer (although none of them are decaffeinated) one of which is from a local roaster (one of the others is blue mountain) and another that my son brought back for me from mozambique, earlier this year. i put up with the effects on rare occasions
i have as yet to taste decaf beans from small roasters that hit the mark in the strength stakes and i would imagine that doing a bespoke roast would push the price up and require me to fork out for a bulk quantity - and our freezer isn't that big.
so i will continue to drink my lavazza version of 'housewives coffee' (i haven't drunk instant for decades) and if anyone can point me in the direction of a reasonably priced, strong roast, good flavoured, decaf coffee bean i am open to suggestions.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:59 am

I'm on the same hunt as you, Scullion, having gone decaf myself.
I just put up with the weaker coffee. Lavazza here too, as it seems to be the only one in the shops when I'm looking for some.

I'm guessing Nero, or another chain such as Soho will have a strong decaf for sale perhaps (don't like starbucks, it's a bit sweet). Their shot/coffees are fortified to the point I wonder if they have actually made my foaming skinny cappuccino with regular coffee by mistake.

Postby scullion » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:23 am

i've even considered roasting my own, in a popcorn machine (sitting in the cupboard since the young left home!) and may still do if and when i can get unroasted decaf beans.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox