Register

Aeropress!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Aeropress!

Postby Renee » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:20 am

Yes, that's true, Sue. I had been thinking about oven-roasting, but in a wok would be easy and the beans could be tossed around. I might well have a go, because the aromas would be wonderful.

Yes, I found that map too, Gill!

Postby Renee » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:16 am

I've ordered Ethiopian green beans online through Amazon. I did read that some people use popcorn makers to roast the beans, but I'll do mine in a wok.

Postby Wordsworth » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:43 pm

Atkinson's of Lancaster are the bees knees when it comes to coffee and tea.
Been going there for 30+ years when visiting family in the area.

Postby Renee » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:28 pm

What an interesting looking place Wordsworth! I would love to visit one day and Lancaster isn't too far from where I live, so might have a bus or train ride there one day. It would be a nice day out.

Postby Wordsworth » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:57 pm

It's only 10 minutes walk from the station Renee

Postby Wic » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:21 pm

(Hundreds of) years ago we used to live near Watford, and there was a coffee roasting shop in the main street there. It smelled wonderful. Whenever I get a whiff of freshly roasted beans it still takes me back.

Postby Renee » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:22 pm

That's definitely good news then Wordsworth!

Which area do you live in then? Thinking about your name, I would guess the Lake District?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:30 pm

Looking back at this thread on the old site, I see I first mentioned this lot, based in Watford, who roast their own coffee, over 2 years ago, so clearly they've managed to stay afloat despite my doubts that they'd find people locally to buy. No prices on current website, but I remember them being eye-wateringly high on their old website.
https://www.vientocoffee.co.uk/

They even have their own Aeropress demo video! Makes it all look dead complicated though...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjcWN2t7grw

EDIT:
I remember that coffee shop, Wic, a tiny place opposite M&S. I had to Google to remind myself that it was called; "Importers Coffee Shop". I remember once buying real Jamaican Blue Mountain beans from there for a special treat. I can't remember when it closed, but by the time my 1993 "Book of Watford" book was published it had already gone.

Postby Wordsworth » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:29 pm

I live in the East Midlands now but was born and brought up in Morecambe.
Wordsworth is the name of my late canine friend - he was a Lakeland Terrier and a real hombre dog.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:56 pm

All three of my cats were called "Ratbag", but that doesn't roll off the tongue quite the way "Wordsworth" does as a board name!

I was so upset when Ratbag No. 3 died that I vowed never to have a pet again.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:23 am

Bye bye ratbag, ratbag, ratbag & wordsworth.

is that the inverted method of using the aeropress? I don't do it that way up. Or should that be down.

Renee, you are a more advanced barista than I.
Getting your own green coffee beans no less. Nice to have a wee project on the go at home like that.

Sunday is my day of Lavazza coffee pod coffee. I really like making those pods up.
All the other days in the week is Aeropress.
It hasn't lost any suction, but I've never put it into the dishwasher. I usually rinse it.
And every couple of days, I'll use washing up liquid on it.

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:58 am

Good morning Wordsworth, Ratbag and everyone else! :lol: :lol:

Yes, I know what it's like to lose a pet and after my second Dalmatian died, I vowed never to have any more pets. It was just heart-breaking. :(

Yes, it will be an interesting project for me and I've had a few over the years! I live on my own and it will be an interest as well as going to the gym.

Postby smitch » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:53 am

Renee, I think from previous posts you sometimes visit Manchester. Atkinson’s have a cafe and shop here now in the recently opened Mackie Mayor food hall http://www.mackiemayor.co.uk/

Well worth a visit, there are some fab places to eat although not cheap. Unfortunately I don’t think Atkinson’s have their full range as we couldn’t get their lapsang souchong tea but they have a decent selection.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:05 am

Yep, it's the inverted method Gill, they should have pointed that out. I don't bother wetting the filter, in fact I'm not sure why you need to, other than maybe it's very slightly easier to attach the filter cap. If you do it the "proper" way like you ;-) , I don't see why it's necessary at all - maybe it prevents leakage while you're making it. Also I'm pretty sure that other videos say that the ideal temperature for the water is 80 degrees, not 95. Personally when the water is boiling I try and wait a minute before pouring it to take the edge off. It definitely has a more burnt taste if you use boiling water, I don't understand why, as surely that's what an expresso machine does.

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:18 am

D'you know Smitch, it's quite some time since I've had a wander around Manchester on my own, so I really must do that sometime soon. Thank you very much for the link. I can get Lapsang Souchong from Booths supermarket. I can remember using it for smoking chicken in a cast iron frying pan! :lol: I've done strange things in my time!

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:24 am

I've never tasted a burntness to any of the coffees I make.
But I do use a "one cup" water boiler, rather than a kettle. Which dispenses into a jug before going over to the aeropress.

Renee, I only once tried tea smoked chicken a la James Martian.
It turned out awful, like eating a packet of fags.

Postby Renee » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:57 am

You're so like me Gill!!! :lol: :lol:

What a great website Viento is! I've just been having a look through some of it and will go back later. It's good news that the place is doing so well.

I'm just waiting for my green beans to arrive on Wednesday or Thursday, then I'm ready for the off! :thumbsup

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:50 pm

This thread is going off at odd tangents! Just have to say Gill that Fuchsia Dunlop's Tea Smoked Duck was one of the tastiest things I've ever made - although it has to be said one of the faffiest too. In brief:

Marinate/brine for 12 hours - brine includes saltpetre
Scald skin with boiling water
Hang to dry for 6 hours to crisp skin
Smoke for 30 mins over jasmine blossom tea + flour + sugar
Steam for 1 hour with ginger + spring onion
Cool completely
Deep fry for about 10 mins till crispy

http://www.sakkarin.co.uk/foodforumpix/ ... duck21.jpg

"Decant to jug" - probably takes the edge off. I brew right next to the kettle, and occasionally forget and use it immediately the kettle switches off.

Postby jeral » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:14 pm

Sakkarin, that smoked duck looks like something one would be happy to pay "good money" for if someone else made it ;)

For coffee, does anyone have one of those long-spouted kettles? I'm tempted, although costly, but worry that it's end-to-end width (c.12") might be a cause of accidents if not paying attention, or simply be a nuisance from taking up too much space. Any experience of them pls? (For the purpose of soaking just the grounds before eventually diluting to drink.)

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:54 pm

I got a leaflet through the door this morning from a takeaway selling burgers, many of them for over a tenner a shot. At those prices I could make a fortune on smoked duck!

Actually that's inaccurate - it wouldn't sell as all the locals want is steak, burgers, pizza and pasta. And coffee for the price of a pint.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox