Register

Savoiardi: Crisp Italian Lady Fingers & Cherry Charlotte !

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Savoiardi: Crisp Italian Lady Fingers & Cherry Charlotte !

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Saturated with brandy, cream and fresh cherries or strawberries, or rasberries or apricots or peach purée with dried Italian Savoriardi get the French treatment in this lovely and easy to prepare dessert which is prepared at one of my daughter in law´s Creperies ..

Here is the recipe:

Crisp savolardi - Italian lady fingers ( To layer evening in soufflé dish )
1 tblsp Cognac or Spanish Jerez Amontillado Brandy
Vanilla Icecream melted ( approx. 1 / 4 cup heaping ) Note: Better to use Gelato as it is creamier ..
Fresh de-pitted cherries or fruit of choice ( Approx. 200 - 250 grams )
1 cup water
1 / 4 cup of sugar of choice
1 & 1 / 2 tsps fresh lemon juice
3 / 4 cup chilled heavy cream
Equipment: a 7 inch or 8 inch soufflé dish ..

1) Layer the lady fingers in a soufflé dish. Stir the Cognac or the Brandy into the melted icecream and pour evenly over the lady fingers. Let stand 10 mins.

2) Purée the fruits with water, sugar and lemon juice in a blender or with a stick mixer ..

3) Beat the cream with a stand up mixer or whisk it until it just holds stiff peaks and add 3 / 4 of the fruit sauce and continue to beat until mixture has soft peaks ..

4) Lightly press on lady fingers with a spatula and then drizzle 1/ 2 cup of the fruit sauce over the lady fingers and spread the cream fruit mixture evenly and cover & chill 1 hour in refrig.

5) Serve with remaining fruit sauce drizzled and a sparkling wine or Brandy / Cognac.

Stunning and no oven baking ! :clap :clap :clap :clap :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Savoiardi: Crisp Italian Lady Fingers & Cherry Charlotte

Postby Renee » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:15 pm

What a truly amazing recipe Member 461 and after reading through a couple of times, it's not too difficult to make. I will copy the recipe and make it if friends come to stay. Thank you!

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:39 pm

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you very much .. :clap :clap :clap :clap

Yes, it is very simple to prepare .. And so so versatile as all fruit work .. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have a lovely summer ahead and all my best for a wonderful evening .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:39 pm

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you very much .. :clap :clap :clap :clap

Yes, it is very simple to prepare .. And so so versatile as all fruit work .. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have a lovely summer ahead and all my best for a wonderful evening .. :wave :wave

Postby Uschi » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:09 pm

We use ladyfingers/Savoyardi to make a base for a non-baked cake like a Philadelphia cake.
Just crush or blitz them until you get fine crumbs and mix them with butter. Press the mixture into the bottom of a spring tin and top with whatever non-bake mix you fancy.
The crumbs keep forever, so I usually make several bags full in the kitchen machine. Saves a lot of time.

Postby Renee » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:13 pm

That's a good idea, Uschi, to blitz the Savoyardi fingers! Thank you for the tip.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:08 pm

Ladies, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a lovely evening ..

What is fantastic about this dessert, is that there is no baking and whatever fruits one likes, it Works ! :D :D :D :D

Have been in Portugal all of June and July is same ..

August brings more travel, however, in Spain .. I shall be going to The Madrid Capital with a group and then off to Andalusia, the White Villages of Cadiz .. A true treat and amazing beaches.

All my best for a lovely summer .. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Renee » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:03 am

I really envy you Member 461 visiting such wonderful places. How do you cope with all the heat?

Postby Alexandria » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:27 am

Renée,

Ha Ha .. Well, I am in the travel biz, working ! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

I love the sea, in all its forms and moods .. And I manage all climates .. And all levels of humidity and arid-ness.

I am not a complainer !

Have a lovely lovely weekend and summer .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:06 pm

Savoiardi just SCREAM Tiramisù to me!

Postby Alexandria » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:01 pm

Karakoolaide, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

" Tiramisù " !!!!! :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

A true jewel of a dessert ..

Have a lovely weekend .. and summer too .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox