Register

Any good soft food ideas pls?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Any good soft food ideas pls?

Postby jeral » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:01 pm

Mush and slush required re temporary tooth issue so anything that blends suitably together. For me, no meat and pref no cheese (fish OK) but still nutritionally adequate, but feel free to fire away too with meat/dairy ideas as I'm surely not the only one who has or will have tooth issues.

I'm thinking that, like Indian dishes for instance whereby each has its own spices, maybe a three-soup meal, or three-mush plate, might be a good way to go.

Ta.

Re: Any good soft food ideas pls?

Postby Alexandria » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:46 pm

Polenta Bramata Grana Grossa ( Coarse Corn Flour, Bio / Ecological ) .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Polenta, is easy to prepare, fairly good on shoe string budgets and can be easily obtained in the U.K. and around Northern and Eastern Europe ..

All you need is:

Water
Butter
Salt
Freshly gournd black pepper to taste
And of course the Coarse Cornmeal ( can use with stick mixer for a velvety purée and / or bake and have a gorgeous corn bread type polenta when feeling better .. )

All our best regards and speedy recovery.
Back to work as I am in Algarve . :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby DEB » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:38 pm

Hi

I am sorry to hear of your problem. Here are a few ideas
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/224 ... mato-curry

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/khatti-dhal

or any other dhals

risotto
Scrambled eggs

Hope this helps.

posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=3730#

Postby jeral » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:19 pm

Thanks DEB - those two recipes look good and tasty. I even have all the ingredients for both except for curry leaves. :)

Member 461, thanks too. Not sure if the polenta idea might still be a bit gritty for the moment but you've reminded me that I have a corn biscuit crisp recipe, which I'll store up for later when I'm gnashing and grinding again.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:29 pm

Lentils slow cooked with tomatoes, onions and sweet potato.
Potato and cauliflower cheese ( baked) - topped with tomatoes.
Veggie Moussaka with chickpeas (instead of meat).

Postby jeral » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:32 pm

Thanks karadekoolaid.

I did say pref no cheese for me, but I spotted some "Follow Your Heart Dairy Free Pepper Jack Slices". Reviewers say it's tasteless (which I think many vegan ones are) but that the jalapenos in it pack a punch, so both the cauli cheese and moussaka are now on the cards :)

Postby Alexandria » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:56 pm

Here are a few other suggestions Jeral: :thumbsup

Hummus ..

Bhabaghanuj ..

Zabaglione ..

Gaspacho (French style) or Gazpacho ( Iberian - Málaga Style ) with any fruit or vegetable that you enjoy ..

Salmorejo ..

Cadaquès Mel i Matò Dessert: 1/2 Kilo Whole Milk Ricotta, 1/2 cup water, a couple of tablespoons of honey / one can sub sugar of choice, and a basket of strawberries or rasberries Puréed and drizzled on top .. In Cadaquès we prepare our Ricotta with goat´s milk, however, cow milk Ricotta is fine .. Very lovely .. Blend well the Ricotta with a stand up mixer or blender .. Simply lovely .. :lol: :lol:

Mashed potatoes with butter, salt and pepper, garlic and chives or other herb of choice & cream .. Combine well with standup mixer to your preferred texture ..

Good luck and speedy recovery .. :wave :wave :wave
    Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby smitch » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:06 am

jeral wrote:Thanks karadekoolaid.

I did say pref no cheese for me, but I spotted some "Follow Your Heart Dairy Free Pepper Jack Slices". Reviewers say it's tasteless (which I think many vegan ones are) but that the jalapenos in it pack a punch, so both the cauli cheese and moussaka are now on the cards :)

I quite like the ‘cheese’ slices but I don’t think they melt very well so might not be suitable.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:50 pm

A friend had the same problem last year for six weeks - she lived on baked potato, but then she's not much of a cook!

Can't really add to all the suggestions you've had except to say don't forget fruit - melon, kiwi, satsuma, banana etc. all slushy, & then there's stewed fruit as well as mousse types - just make sure they are all at room temp.

Hope it clears up quickly - mouths issues can be a real nuisance - and don't forget to get some oil of cloves in to rub on your gums - it really sooths!

Postby Wordsworth » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:57 pm

How about gnocchi?
    I made some today for the first time and really enjoyed them.

Postby jeral » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:29 am

Good ho Wordsworth - home made gnocchi is far superior to supermarket leathery blobs isn't it? The last time I made them, I used 1/3rd sweet potato using rosemary as a flavouring (from a recipe I found somewhere).

A poster ages ago suggested spreading the blobs out in a shallow dish, topping with sliced tom, S&P, and grated melty cheese, then put under the grill for a minute or so; scattered with (separately fried) garlic breadcrumb to serve, which I find works and is good too if you want a dry-ish side that won't detract from the star on the plate.

smitch, the vegan pepperjack cheese I've bought is one of those that melts in the microwave but for no longer than say 10 seconds. Dunno yet how it reacts as an ingredient. Incidentally, it is indeed tasteless and the punch comes from the ton of embedded cracked peppercorns, not from any jalapenos which I couldn't taste at all.

Thanks Lusciouslush and others for kind wishes. It's OK though as no pain, it's just delicate so I have to be cautious. Water melon is a good call as the big slices are in local shops here just now :)

Postby DEB » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:07 pm

Hi

A few more ideas

bean purree/hummus https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/reci ... us&=Search

Slightly over cooked pasta with sauce of your choice eg https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1139652/lentil-rag

Ice cream

smoothes

soft fish eg plaice/sole

Hope these help

Postby Uschi » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:06 pm

Most things can be blitzed into oblivion with a blender. I realise that puree and slosh isn't great, but you can blitz yourself some nice vegetable sauces to go with something else.

Smooth peanut butter is tasty, too, and can jazz up foods that might need a little cheese or so. Worth trying out.

Chives are about the only things that won't be blitzed. Don't know why.

Postby jeral » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:26 pm

Thanks a lot for the further ideas - I'm working though many of all the ones suggested and can confirm that I'm eating plenty of tasty slush :) <- "plenty" is good as I can't afford any weight loss from the temptation of not bothering to eat.

Re water melon: How do you choose them please?
    Here, they thoughtfully sell them as slices roughly 1/8th of a huge one. Some look pristine, others look a bit "going off" at one end, but maybe that's good as the pristine slices seem a bit stringy tough so maybe not ripened enough? So another Q:
    Do cut slices ripen "at home"? They're not in season long enough (and my fridge ain't big enough) to experiment.

Many thanks.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:49 am

Water melon:

When you buy it, tap it with your knuckles - it should sound hollow.
    Does it continue ripening when cut? Yes.
    Can you use it for other things? Yep - we make a delicious watermelon drink, simply by blitzing the fruit in a blender and then straining the result through a sieve. Add sugar - unless you don´t like it.
    DO NOT throw away the skin/rind/carcasse - what ever you call it :lol: You can make a delicious chutney with it, or use it to make jam.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:16 pm

If you can't be bothered to make chutney - and who can, except you Clive, in this heat then give it to the hens. Although of course you do need hens!

I love it liquidised and served with either gin or vodka or especially as a frozen daquiri with rum.
    Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox