Register

Apricots

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Apricots

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:23 am

As often happens at this time of year we have a glut of apricots. Lovely to eat the ripe plump ones as they are and of course jam . tarts etc but sometimes I just want to do something different. Any ideas?
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Re: Apricots

Postby Lizzie-47 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:38 am

Lucky you, I adore apricots! I guess it's just another tart, but I've made this one a couple of times and it's delicious. I really like Felicity Cloake's "How to make the perfect...." recipes.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ricot-tart

Lizzie x

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:52 pm

Good Afternoon Joan, :clap :clap

I am a grand fan of fresh apricots too .. Here are a few dishes I have made with either apricots or peaches ..

Here are a few ideas: :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

1) Tagine: 600 grams of fresh hake or cod, 8 prawns, fresh minced parsley 2 tablsps, 1 tsp ground cumin, 2 cinammon sticks, 1 / 2 tsp. each of tumeric and smoked paprika, salt and freshly ground pepper to taste and 4 lemon wedges to serve for a drizzle if one likes ..

2) Tagine: Chicken and Apricots ..

3) Grilled Fish or Chicken or Prawns with Apricots ..

4) Curried Hake or Cod, or white fish of choice with Apricots ..

5) Roast chicken ( whole ) with an apricot stuffing ..

Hope this has assisted .. Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:07 pm

I've never used fresh apricots in a tagine - only dried ones.

Lizzie that is almost identical to the apricot tart I make. It is lovely.

i've got guests coming on Sunday and I am planning on an apricot and nougat clafoutis, which is basically a standard clafoutis mix but with small pieces of local nougat scattered amongst the fruit. It is very rich so a little goes a long way.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby jeral » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:40 pm

A lamb and apricot Indian-style curry casserole? I used to make one in the 1980s so a very Anglicised "curry" of lamb chunks, tinned apricots and basic curry powder; veg served separately.

I make a cod, mango & chilli base with standard crumble topping, which sounds odd but is very nice. I'm sure you could sub apricots and ginger.

Salad addition, like orange & rocket/cress or artichoke hearts, or in stuffed vine leaves.

Apricot pieces added to enhanced couscous like "Jewelled couscous" which has a ton of ingredients to use or pick and choose from e.g.
https://www.supergoldenbakes.com/2016/0 ... illed.html

Cook with spice or clove if wished, then puree to swirl into or go atop ice cream sundae, or use in a carrot and ginger smoothie.

Apricots. Mmm.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:34 pm

Jeral & Joan,

Some lovely ideas Jeral .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Another is apricot icecream if you have an icecream maker !! ( I do not but my daughter in laws do ! ) ..

Have a nice day .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:56 pm

I lurve apricots just as they are but they go wonderfully well with slow roast pork shoulder - basically, stuff the butterflied shoulder with a mix of chopped fresh apricots, plus some dried, garlic, rosemary, sage, ground cumin, lemon juice, seasoning & apricot jam ( YES!!! :o ) - it works!

Then place the stuffed pork on a handful of fresh apricots mixed with garlic & onions plus water & roast in a slow oven covered for 3hrs.

This is very much a savoury dish with a hint of sweetness - I promise!

Don't have exact amounts in my head - but can look them up later.

Postby Lizzie-47 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:25 pm

That sound lush, LuciousLush! Mr Lizzie-47 makes a great lamb steak and peach salad, both main elements done on a ridged griddle, which I imagine would work well with apricots.

Lizzie x

Postby Pampy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:10 pm

I've quite often made a chicken dish with peaches (chicken with peaches a l'indienne - from a very old M&S freezer cookery book). It's a lightly spiced dish with cinnamon being a predominate flavour. I think it would work just as well with apricots.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:01 pm

1) Stuff the apricots with pâté de fois; sear them and serve with a bit o lettuce!!
2) Cook them with pork chops and a bare teaspoonful of curry powder
3) Cook them with chicken in coconut milk
4) Poach them with ginger and a bit of cinnamon; then you can serve them (a) with ice cream (b) with crumble (c) in a tart (d) as a mousse.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:59 pm

Apricots, like plums (and mangoes) make lovely chutney

The catch is that I've tasted it but never made it

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:30 am

Oh Joan, how lucky you are to have a glut of apricots, even if it doesn't feel like it and you are struggling to figure out what to do with them.

The only thing I can think of is a couscous salad containing Moroccan herbs and spices as well as the apricots. The cold salad works really with with plain roasted chicken wings or drumsticks, or spatch-cocked quail if you can get it down your way. The chicken/quail should be served hot.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:31 am

I suddenly remembered a Turkish recipe for poached apricots stuffed with cream cheese and pistachio nuts. having unearthed it. I must give it a try.

Last night I made an apricot and almost crumble using flaked almonds in the srumble mix.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:50 pm

Joanbunting wrote:I suddenly remembered a Turkish recipe for poached apricots stuffed with cream cheese and pistachio nuts. having unearthed it. I must give it a try.

I have had the stuffed apricots in Turkish restaurants in London, and once in Istanbul. More mascarpone than Philadelphia - in fact I think probably Turkish clotted cream (kaymak) in some cases - though some London cafes use whipped cream to make it lighter, and tend to serve a few in place of petits fours rather than as a substantial pudding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaymak

Postby jeral » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:40 pm

Joanbunting, I found this yesterday, being a "Buckle cake" which has a fruit and vanilla cake bottom, crumble top with fruit, made as a tray bake. This one uses apricots and raspberries, which sounds good to me, as cake or especially if served with my beloved Bird's Custard powder mixed to desired consistency:

https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/apri ... rry-buckle

I've made a similar date slice bake - so can recommend in principle at least.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:27 am

Morning Joanbunting!

I remembered another recipe, which is a variation of this one from Delia Smith

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/int ... oat-slices

I have used all kinds of fresh fruit, such as stewed apple, fresh raspberries and a summer berry and apple one (again stewed). It also works well with festive mincemeat. I have also had shortbread with an apricot filling inside, although it was probably a chunky jam rather than a compote or conserve.

I have seen recipes for an apricot upside down cake, or maybe an apricot version of this one, which sounds so lovely that I am very tempted to make it myself.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/230 ... amon-torte

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:10 pm

Joan,

One of My daughter in laws suggested:

A frozen apricot Soufflé !

1 kilo of fresh or dried Apricots, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar of choice, 6 large egg whites at room temperature, 2 cups chilled heavy cream, 1 / 2 tsp. almond extract, 1 / 4 tsp. vanilla extract ..

Equipment: Soufflé dish, kitchen thermometer for candy ..

Garnish: Unsweetened black chocolate and confectioner´s sugar for dusting ..

It is quite delicious ..

Have a lovely weekend .. :wave :wave

Postby jeral » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:29 pm

@ strictlysalsaclare, It's great that ideas come to us from others' ideas and your upside down cake idea (always make me smile as such a frivolous thing to be upside down) reminded me of tarte tatin, e.g. this one for apricots:
https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/aprico ... atin_49907

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:13 pm

OMG jeral, that looks sooo good :yum ! I could quite easily inhale that tarte tatin, it's such a shame Mr Strictly is not fond of apricots.

Postby jeral » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:27 pm

strictlysalsaclare wrote:OMG jeral, that looks sooo good :yum ! I could quite easily inhale that tarte tatin, it's such a shame Mr Strictly is not fond of apricots.

There's an expression that covers that scenario:
"Ooh goodie. (It')smine all smine." :mrgreen:

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox