Register

Summer Fennel Soup with Orange Crème Fraîche

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Summer Fennel Soup with Orange Crème Fraîche

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:20 pm

The earthy flavors punctuated by subtle hints of orange and a velvety creamy texture of this starter, are perfect for a simple weeknight dinner or lunch on a terrace, or in a garden or coastal porch.

Summer Fennel Soup with Orange Crème Fraîche .. Serves 4 - 6 .. :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 small leek, white and pale green parts only, halved and thinly sliced ..

2 or 3 garlic cloves minced

1 and 1/ 2 tablsp. fennel seeds

5 tblsps. French or Italian Evoo

1 small to medium potato

2 medium size fennel bulbs and reserve fronds and slice into 1/ 2 inch pieces

1 / 2 cup of Crème Fraîche

1 tsp. or orange zest

2 tblps. wáter or vegetable stock broth

1) Wash the leek, then sauté the thinly sliced leek with the minced garlic, fennel seeds, and 1 tsp of salt in a heavy medium sized pot over a low to medium heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, approx . 8 to 10 minutes.
2) Add the potato, peeled and scrubbed and the fennel and either vegetable broth from vegetable stock or water, and add the cubed potatoes ( 1 / 2 inch ) and fennel to the leek mixture ..
3) Simmer, 20 minutes ( stirring gently and occasionally ) until all veggies are tender.
4) Take some day old bread, and grate crumbs and toss with 2 tblsps of Evoo and a tiny pinch of salt and bake in oven .. Stir and toss until crisp ..
5) Now, blend the fennel leek soup with a stand up mixer, blender or in a food processor .. Slowly pour in some of the liquid from the veggies and blend to achieve a creamy, velvety texture.
6) Return to the pot. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
7) Chop 1 tblsp of fennel fronds and whisk together with the crème fraîche and the zest ..

8) Serve the soup with the fennel fronds, zest & crème fraîche mixture & a sprinkle of crispy bread crumbs .. Can be served hot or cold, like a "gazpacho" in a Martini Glass .. Lovely lovely .. I actually prefer mine chilled .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Absolutely wonderful ..

Have a wonderful day .. :wave :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Summer Fennel Soup with Orange Crème Fraîche

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:08 pm

That sounds good, I like orange in the dressing for a fennel salad so I know the flavours go

I made this green pea, fennel and lettuce soup, excellent, might get some fennel & make it again, as I have a slightly elderly (as in left in the ground too long, not stale) Batavia that would cook well

I liked it equally hot or cold

https://houseandhome.com/recipe/green-pea-lettuce-fennel-soup-recipe/

Actually I might merge the two recipes and use up one nice leek that is languising in the veg drawer, I don't have any shallots in the house

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:50 pm

Sounds like a very tasty option, Member 461!Thanks!

Postby Renee » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:15 pm

Thanks Member 461, what a lovely summer soup. The flavours will go tohether beautifully! Sue I like that recipe too. I'm away at the moment, so will make them on my return.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:48 pm

Sue, Karakoolaide & Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you for your feedback .. :clap :clap

This is truly a delight and so refreshing .. :lol: :lol:

Sue: Shall look at your link over the weekend as I am in Lisbon and very busy all of June here in Portugal ..

Karakoolaide: Sublime exquisite !

Renée: Thank you once again ..

This is an awesome summer soup ..

All my best wishes and have a lovely evening .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox