Register

Cavolo Nero cabbage

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Cavolo Nero cabbage

Postby jeral » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Good in the shops just now. My twice-annual urge to deep fry is upon me, so I'm going to try deep-fried crispy seaweed later, plus a dribble of tahini thinned with lemon juice. I also fancy making various veg tempura and tasty/spicy dips. Apparently sweet potato tempura is popular, surprisingly to me, e.g. in Vietnamese bread roll with salad things.

Apparently you can bake cavolo nero pieces for crisps, but recipes sound a bit hit and miss as you have to watch it carefully to avoid it burning but said it had the advantage of being nutritionally good for the eyesight, lol.

Spotted some risen (baking powder) pancakes, which might be nice but a bit claggy maybe?

Any favourite recipes you use cavolo nero for? Ta.

Re: Cavolo Nero cabbage

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:34 pm

I have grown it in the past, a friend used to raise it from seed and give me the odd spare plant. I usually put it into stews, but remember SIL once fished all the Cavolo Nero from a plateful of dinner I gave her. Mrs B reminds me of the incident every time she sees the stuff. :D

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:58 pm

The only way I have ever prepared Cavolo is with Orecchiette, "Little Ear" Puglia Pasta .. :lol: :lol:

Cavolo: 200 grams approx ..
5 tablesp. Italian Bio Evoo
8 anchovy filets
1 Basilicata chili pepper dry crumbled
1 garlic clove minced
1 bay leaf
250 grams of Orechiette pasta from scratch

Absolutely extraordinary and a true classic of the Puglia región of southeastern Italy on the Adriatic which is its homeland ..

Exemplary post !!! :wave :wave

Have a lovely day ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:25 pm

I do like it in a stirfry with ginger & garlic - as you would use pak choi or in a minestrone - it must still have some bite for me tho'.

I've had this recipe ear marked to try for ages now...…

kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/2015/09/blue-cheese-mash-with-cavolo-nero-kale.html

Ooomph...........!!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:06 pm

I like cavolo nero, just don't steam it, turns it to leather for reasons I don't understand

I haven't tried making kale crisps as I've had bought ones and don't see the point

This soup is my favourite cavolo nero recipe, but it contains a glaring error - obviously (IMO) you don't need 1 kilogram of each green veg (that would be 400g per serving :lol:) I think she meant "one" farmer's market bunch or supermarket pack of each, so about 300g of each

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1732/the-river-cafes-winter-minestrone

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:01 pm

I think there's a taco recipe using Cavolo Nero which turns up at Wahaca seasonally, or is in one of the recipe books.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:38 pm

Sue,

Blanch 1st and then, sauté in Italian Evoo .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Never boil it .. :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

Have a nice day .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:59 pm

Member 461, I read a recipe where leaf bits were sautéed - quote: "Until nice and chewy". Wouldn't be my cup of tea; maybe chewing cud endlessly is an acquired pleasure.

Postby jeral » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:20 pm

Stokey Sue, many thanks for the River Cafe soup recipe. Sounds well worth a go. As you say, it's the ingredient list combo that matters, well to me as I usually fiddle with recipes anyway.

Lusciouslush, I'd certainly like the garlic and ginger (stir fry), and/or chilli and citrus lemon/orange (NB zest) variations. Although cheese seems to figure in a lot of recipes it strikes me as odd. That said, I did see a baked filo pie recipe where cheese makes sense and it looked good too.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Member 461 wrote:Sue,

Blanch 1st and then, sauté in Italian Evoo .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Never boil it .. :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

Have a nice day .. :wave

I don't really distinguish betweern boiling and blanching for the simple preparation of cabbage as a side dish - but the point is don't steam either as a method of blanching or final cooking, it has a different effect to blanching in water and I find that quite odd, but I know other people have found the same - though in fact I don't dislike it just lightly boiled / blanched and then seasoned or dressed , though I would often sauté with a little garlic and chilli flakes

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:40 am

Sue and Jeral,

I blanch mine just until tender and then sauté in Italian Evoo for a few minutes ..

Another point, remove the veins and shred or slice finely into small to medium size lengthwise pieces ..

Always is tender and absolutely outstandingly Delicious especially with a short pasta which is the only way I have ever prepared it ..

Have a nice evening ..

Getting late here .. 23.30 .. ( I am on tour in Portugal all month ) .. :wave :wave

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:00 pm

Cook it with raisins. Remove the stalk and cut the cavolo nero into strips, then sauté with a few cloves of garlic. Add the raisins and veg stock. Cook till done.

Alternately you could make Haak - if you have some asafoetida. If not, stir fry some onion, ginger and garlic;then stirfry some turmeric and cumin ( or a tsp of curry powder) ; add the cavolo nero and cook through until done. If you´re a chile fan, add some fresh chopped green chiles.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:54 pm

Karakoolaide,

Love the raisin idea ! Like a Catalan Spinach which is blanched and then sautéed with raisins, Evoo, garlic and pine nuts or almonds ..

Thanks .. :clap :clap :clap

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:38 pm

I have not used Cavolo Nero, but I HAVE used spinach, and/or beetroot leaves for this recipe - and then served it as a bruschetta. It surprises people - who then say it´s delicious.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:54 pm

I use spring greens or chard for haak
Cavolo nero is much tougher and I think would need blanching

I don't put either turmeric or cumin into haak, I follow Madhur Jaffrey's recipe - just asafoetida, dried red chilli and fresh green chilli. Though I admit I have been known to add garlic. She prefers mustard oil, but I don't tend to use it, I am not keen on either mustard oil or rape seed (colza), both stink and are weirdly greasy (they are closely related)

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:23 pm

I sometimes make it Madshur Jaffrey´s way, Sue - especially when I want to demonstrate how asafoetida gives a (somewhat remote) oniony/garlicky flavour to the greens. If there´s no asafoetida around, however, the onion/garlic/cumin etc. route also works.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox