Register

Friday lunch

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Friday lunch

Postby mark111757 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:24 pm

Here is a take on a Cuban sammich, with pasta salad

IMG_20180615_171925_662.JPG
IMG_20180615_171925_662.JPG (719.69 KiB) Viewed 6778 times

Ham and marinated pork, swiss cheese, Dijon mustard and pickle slice.

All I can say is dee- lush

Cuban loaf is a pipe dream around here, so kaiser rolls were used.

Re: Friday lunch

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:43 pm

Mark.
This is most odd. I've never seen anything like it, although I have seen on TV, sandwiches that have gravy/sauce.

I just cannot get my head around a sandwich with pasta.
Is it popular then?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:02 pm

Gill, is it any more odd than serving a filled roll with a side order of crisps, fries, or coleslaw?
Looks like a good lunch to me.

I am now totally confused by the Kaiser roll, obviously that's sold as a Kaiser roll where Mark is

To me it's one of these, the twist being the defining feature, but it often turns out to be something else :?

kaiser.jpg
Classic Kaiser Roll
kaiser.jpg (4.18 KiB) Viewed 6754 times

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:17 pm

It looks quite a bit like a Cuban Sandwich and the doughy " Manteca de Cerdo " ( porc fat bread ) is pressed with a traditional grill and in the sandwich is porc ( lechón = perñil roast or roast whole pig ) and it has pickles, industrial cheeses typical of Miami Downtown Calle Ocho ( 8th Street - Miami ) & is spread with mayo & mustard ..

And never served with a rapid short pasta ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:59 pm

Looks good to me for a tasty and filling lunch and fairly healthy too. After seeing them on TV, I'm sure I could (when on the go all day) have easily noshed one of those big dinner sandwiches with lots of things in, which even now isn't really a common concept here.

That said, I can make good pulled pork these days, which I learned just as everyone else here was giving up meat too, doh, but I can recommend it for sandwiches, and a joint makes a lot of portions; do save the strong reduced gravy /jelly resulting.

@ Stokey Sue, on my monitor, there's just enough contrast to see the petal shapes stamped on mark111757's bun, flattened maybe due to a toaster press, so it's probably the same sort. I'm not keen on sweetened bread, but it's probably offset well by the sharp pickle & mustard.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:26 pm

I don't think Mark's is the same sort of bread as the one in my pic, the shape on top is not stamped but made by actually twisting the dough, so it goes really deeply and shoul survive a panini press. Also, the twisting means it can only be round, and Mark's is quite square, a cuboid Cuban

I have a feeling that the European Kaiser roll may have morphed into soomething else in in the USA.

I have to say, I don't remember having that kind of sandwich in Cuba, maybe once in two weeks, perhaps more of a Miami thing these days

Postby mark111757 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:39 pm

Gill

Pasta salad is very popular over here. So many varieties. By the crowd we had for lunch, it went down a treat. I asked chef if she would do it again. I would suggest next time she use hot dog mustard instead of Dijon . but that was very good too. It would be easier to find hens teeth that a Cuban loaf around here. I read a long Italian loaf is a good substitute. The sammich is popular but the further you get from Miami the greater chance it can be bastardised.

Sue

The kaiser roll and Dijon mustard were the only twists in it. I want to say chef stayed true to the recipe. And did not tweak it much. In fact kaiser may have been the only "good" or better bread she had.

Member 461

All the recipes I rifled thru, the common theme was do not put Mayo on it or other extra stuff. If you put Mayo on it, it is not a Cuban sammich. That is good enough for me!!

Jeral

As far as pork, when I worked at the store, Columbus fire roasted pork from the deli was used, sliced thin.

http://www.columbuscraftmeats.com/produ ... -pork-loin

As part of a Cuban panini.

The grill marks on the roll did not turn out that well out but the filling was melted and gooey.

Thank you for all your comments!!

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:12 pm

Mark,

My parents said, that the Cuban Sandwich that I did not eat, ( just tasted as I do not eat meat ) had butter, not Mayo and a Yellow Golden Mustard ..

My error as it was quite a number of years ago since that trip to Miami ( 2007 ) .. I only had remembered something whitish yellow !

Each venue prepares their Cuban Sándwiches slightly different ..

Some venues put boiled ham and the slices of "perñil roast porc " with thinly sliced pickles and cheese ( Swiss or Emmenthal ) ..

Any way, have a nice day and enjoy your sandwich .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:22 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I don't think Mark's is the same sort of bread as the one in my pic, the shape on top is not stamped but made by actually twisting the dough, so it goes really deeply and shoul survive a panini press. Also, the twisting means it can only be round, and Mark's is quite square, a cuboid Cuban

I have a feeling that the European Kaiser roll may have morphed into soomething else in in the USA.
...[clip]...

Stokey Sue, I'm sure you're right, as the Walmart pic and some artisan rolls I saw on a US site all look stamped to me rather than knot twists (too absolutely identical), probably due to volume speed necessary. I suppose someone could invent two machines, one to do the first knot and another to paint and tuck the ends in, but hugely faster just to die stamp a whole sheet full ;)

Shame, as I love the skeiny (stringy) texture of plaits and knots, which I even make when the kneading mood takes me :) Mind you, once the dough is elastic and ready, Anna Olsen rolled hers out with a pin, cut it into strips with a pizza cutter and briefly hand-rounded each strip rather hand-pulling and rolling each blob. I forgot that last time I made a plait, doh!

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:45 pm

This reminds me of a burger & soup...………..
But on the same plate...………..……… :D

Postby jeral » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:30 pm

Lusciouslush, have you seen the ones on TV in the US where rolls are filled with meat slices and the whole thing is dipped in gravy? (Dunno how you're supposed to eat them.) I imagine they're yummily satisfying and perfect if you're a dunker anyway, e.g. of bread in soup or liking fat chips in gravy., i.e. forget the drizzle of jus idea.

If I ate meat, I'd be first in the queue - like a ♪ secret lemonade drinker;)

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:40 pm

jeral wrote: or liking fat chips in gravy

Now you're talking The Lushly's language...…….. :roll: !!

Postby Pampy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:13 pm

jeral wrote:Lusciouslush, have you seen the ones on TV in the US where rolls are filled with meat slices and the whole thing is dipped in gravy?

I've had a similar thing here in the UK. It was hot roasted turkey (a real one, not a roll) put on a slice of bread then another slice was dipped in gravy and put on top to make a sandwich - it was absolutely wonderful!

Postby jeral » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:41 pm

Yay. Gravy rules!

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox