Register

Who thought sprouts were so evil.....

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Who thought sprouts were so evil.....

Postby mark111757 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:50 pm

Re: Who thought sprouts were so evil.....

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:25 pm

My God, that is horrendous and downright cruel, especially considering what the father of the child did for a living. If any of the care workers in my work place did that I am sure they would be severely disciplined and probably sacked! As a reluctant sprout eater myself I completely get why his daughter refused to eat them, especially if she is sensitive to bitter foods. All that father has done is given her a phobia about sprouts. I am so pleased the judge punished him properly.

Postby jeral » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:49 pm

I'm glad that this appalling case got to court. No doubt many similar acts go on behind closed doors with the perpetrator of power abuse whether mental or physical never receiving any form of comeuppance.

My mum would give me my uneaten dinner for tea ("It'll be there waiting for you") refusing to throw good food away, reasonably, since money was scarce. It actually was better cold as it had little taste and no smell, but then I figured out that veg tasted far better to me if eaten raw,which solved the problem.

If you think about it, a lot of veg are eaten raw now, e.g. cauli in pickle, cabbage in coleslaw, peas and some beans in salads, although it was deemed decidedly weird back then.

Postby mark111757 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:11 pm

I love them. Sophie grigsons sprouts gratin was a hit in our house. At the store chef introduced me to roasted sprouts, done in a convection oven, with bacon. Like eating candy!!

The story sure makes you wonder about people and the world as a whole.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:23 pm

Two questions
1. Mom was - where - or didn't intervene?
2. He still has custody of the chd and they haven't been given compulsory family therapy as part of sentencing?

Postby mark111757 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:26 pm

I don't know how they do things in Canada. I imagine in a heartbeat here in the states!

Postby Pampy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:11 am

Stokey Sue wrote:Two questions
1. Mom was - where - or didn't intervene?

He was no longer married to the mother and by the sound of the article, the daughter was staying over with him

On sprouts - I love 'em - the more bitter the better!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:22 am

Ah, I missed that Pampy, thanks, it was quite a lot for me to read on screen and I attempted to skim read

I was expecting something a little lighter and more frivolous

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:15 am

Good grief. Unbelievable.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:40 am

Absolutely horrendous and horrifying that a parent could treat his daughter in this matter .. :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

The daughters should be removed from this household immediately ..

I am uncertain as to why the mother of the girls left these innocents with such an abusive beast !
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Just who was this awful man really trying to control? Especially seeing his profession - from which I sinerely hope he has been dismissed.

My late F-I-L was of a similar type, though thank goodness not as bad. He would regularly make his children sit until they had finished their plates. Including the handicapped one. Fortunately for M he was sent away to boarding school at 8. He was always hungry there so he did eat everything and mostly still does. The remaining two however have all sorts of food hang-ups
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:31 pm

I've now read it properly

Great respect to the judge, sounds like a good judgment with much attention to detail

I wonder if theere was an element of using the child as a surrogate for his ex-wife? I also wonder of she will try to change custody arrangements and visitation rights?

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:40 pm

I hope the child's mother does change custody rights after this, because there is a strong possibility that he tried to control her as well. I also hope that the young girl doesn't get any lasting mental trauma over it.

On a similar vein, neither my late paternal granny, late dad or I could/can bear drinking neat milk. I never had a problem in school thankfully, despite being of an age where we did get free milk in primary school every day. My dad, however, did have a problem with one of his headmasters' who called in my gran one day because dad refused to drink the milk. Dad was called into his office at the same time, and said headmaster practically force-fed him some milk, despite my gran arguing against it. The result that my dad instantly vomited the milk all over the headmaster, who promptly got the message! Needless to say, dad never had to have bottled milk in school again. However, the incident may have had a lasting effect on him, because he got a severe phobia about eating food in public after that. He had to conquer it once he started working though.

Postby jeral » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:20 pm

I'm not so sure about the mum since the dad texted her saying what he was going to do, almost as if seeking approval or confirmation if the child was unruly in all sorts of ways. We don't know how she responded. We just don't know enough of the details and have to hope that it causes no lasting damage, for example, will he bear an ongoing grudge against his daughter now, however unfairly? Bullies don't like losing.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:43 pm

No, he texted the mother the morning after the child had been up all night, and those texts were part of the evidence against him.

Postby jeral » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:18 pm

Yes. I found a slightly different report which says it was the partner herself who called the authorities. This report doesn't say either what happened about the child afterwards though: http://www.iheartradio.ca/cjad/news/out ... -1.3893045

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox