Register

Roasting pan hob to oven

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Roasting pan hob to oven

Postby mark111757 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:16 am

I may have asked this once before, don't remember. Looking for a roadting pan and a rack for it.that is hob ready and oven ready that does not cost an arm and a leg.

I hope I can find something thru Amazon and it might have a stateside counter part.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Re: Roasting pan hob to oven

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:00 am

How are your muscles, Mark.
I favour cast iron when it goes into the oven. You can get many pans with lids these days - I've got le Creuset skillets & lidded pans. But they are such a price now!
Let me find a photo of what I have. 1 medium, and 1 large

Otherwise, Mermaid is excellent, I've had mine for 20years, and it doesn't buckle or tarnish.
It's more of an oven tray, than a hob piece though.

Postby MariaK » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:58 am

I saw this not long ago. As you're in the US it might be helpful.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/best-roas ... ns-4091220

Personally not keen on "non-stick" teflon or other cookware. Cast iron seems to be much cheaper than it is this side of the pond except for the big brands where prices have become ridiculous. I'd go for the last one - granite ware though you may want a smaller size. I have something similar , though oval, and the lid can also be used on hob and in oven. And even if you do manage to burn it it cleans up easily enough.

Postby Suelle » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:09 pm

I'd recommend Mermaid brand too - but if you're in the USA it might not be available - look for anodised aluminium (aluminum):

https://www.amazon.com/Roasting-Pans-Ha ... 2242053011

In my experience they work well on the hob too.
Last edited by Suelle on Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby jeral » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:40 pm

I reckon vitreous enamel grill pans are good as they last forever (don't rust). Fine for hob or oven and some come with a detachable handle. It's not really non-stick, but is reasonably easy to clean, plus it's good as there's no non-stick coating to deteriorate and start peeling off.

E.g.: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... +grill+pan
The rack is high or low if turned upside down.

I've just bought a flat vitreous enamel oven tray so I have put my money where my mouth is ;)

Postby DEB » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:21 pm

If you want cast iron you can find some very good ones second hand in charity shops

Postby mark111757 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:29 pm

This is what started it all off

https://www.amazon.com/Culina-Pan-Stain ... merReviews

If it was 30$ cheaper, it would be perfect.

Growing up I don't remember aunts of grandmothers putting roasting pans on top of the hob. Seems like when I starting watching gordo and the king of stylee and saint Delia and hfw, that I saw that being done. As I recall st Delia did it for her fast roast chicken1.

You would think it was an unknown thing here in the States.

Thanks for all the input.

Postby Suelle » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:40 pm

The roasting pan usually goes on the hob, if you are making gravy after roasting a piece of meat.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby jeral » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:30 pm

mark111757: One reason for putting roasting pans on the hob to start with is because heavy ones take a while to heat up even in a pre-heated oven. (Stainless steel ones might not be hob safe.) Of course, that's irrelevant if you put it in the oven as it's heating up.

However, for some roast meat recipes, the plan is to seal or brown meat quickly, so on relatively high heat first, and then shunt the pan into a preheated oven. (Frying pans aren't usually big enough if a roasting pan is needed.)

It depends what you want to achieve - must focus on that. (Especially if $Lots.)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:06 pm

I have four roasting pans, all with racks, which sounds like a lot but they are all between 20 and 30 years old, all stainless steel.

I have one large one, one medium, and two small enough to go side by side on the same shelf of the oven

I don't expect to ever buy another

Mine aren't tri-ply like the one on Mark's link, which would be superb, you could really cook on the hob in it

Mine are more like this https://www.amazon.com/IKEA-KONCIS-Roasting-grill-stainless/dp/917712071X/ref=sr_1_20?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1528577850&sr=1-20&keywords=Stainless+steel+roaster

I use them on the hob mainly for gravy and occasionally for browning meat before finishing in the oven.

Postby mark111757 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:01 pm

Suelle

You are completely right. That was one of the reasons. To be able to make gravy and get off all the fond and gnarly bits.

Thanks for your help.

Postby mark111757 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:15 pm

Stokey sue

Thank you for link. I will admit it that I am liking that one. Can do chix easy and a medium turkey. Price is good too and overall reviews are good.

Thanks again

Postby patpoyntz » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:42 am

I have a very large LeCreuset roaster, which I’ve had for most of my cooking life,and I love it, however as I get older I’m finding it very heavy to lift with, say, a large leg of lamb in it. So now I have two of the Ikea ones which Sue posted about, and find them excellent for oven and stove top use. Easy to clean too. They do similar small ones to which are great for just a couple of chicken joints or chops.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox