Register

Birthday meals

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Birthday meals

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:58 pm

As a very keen cook and baker, I love planning special meals for our birthdays, Easter, Christmas and wedding anniversaries. I am very happy to cook and bake for all of them. Also, Mr Strictly doesn't drive, so on the rare occasion when we do eat out, we're either forced to go to a restaurant on a bus route, or I am on the soft drinks as the only designated driver. this means that going out for a meal on my birthday is a bit of a no-no as Mr Strictly is usually working during the day.

Please excuse the rambling first paragraph, but this year I have had a couple of well-meaning workmates and my mother in law all saying 'You shouldn't have to cook on your birthday, or make your own birthday cake! Have a rest'. They don't seem to understand that I actually get great pleasure out of cooking. Also, if I bought a birthday cake it would probably be far too sweet and not taste of the flavour it's meant to be because of all the damn sugar the supermarkets and bakers put in them. :vomit

Does anyone else on here have the same issues? I find it really irritating.

Re: Birthday meals

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:10 pm

I kind of sympathise but agree with you mum too.

Because of an eye problem I don't drive and here there is no public transport. It seems poor M is condemmed to s similar fate. However we often combine with friends or get the loacla traiteur to provide the food - a posh take-away if you like. I can also rely upon our local patisserie to provide a stunning cake when needed.

So much as I love cooking and baking I am more than happy to let the professionals take over when necessary.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:34 pm

Hi Joan

Don't get me wrong, I'm never going to say no to a meal out :starwars ! In fact today there were a couple of stalls at the French market selling hot food, and I did get my lunch from one of them. It wasn't planned, but when the delicious aromas of garlic mushrooms and garlic potatoes waft through the air, it's impossible to resist the temptation :yum :klingonbanana ! I did succumb and it was a fabulous lunch! Herbes de Provence were a part of both dishes and I have to say I do like them. I must have had them before but couldn't remember.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:16 pm

Good theme for a forum .. :thumbsup

1) If it is a friend of our´s, we always go out for tapas or a dinner ..

2) If it is one of our parents or grand parents or twin sons, or the grand kids ( 2 boys ) or daughter in laws, then we usually will go up to Cadaquès on the Northern Costa Brava .. And the family members will all pitch in with a grand buffet .. or go out to have lunch or dinner .. Christmas and New Year´s Eve are normally at my parents or in-laws .. During the warmer months, we love to celebrate on the family boat .. So it is always done by my Grandfathers and Dad and sons .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

If it is an anniversary, we all take our parents out to lunch ..

3) Sweets: As a family in general, we have our local bakers, and we request no white industrialised sugar and ask them to use " Eco or Bio ground golden sugar in the raw" which contains no artificial ingredients ..

We also buy our bread, sugar free from our bakeries ..

4) I do not have much of a sweet tooth and my desserts are usually fresh seasonal fruit and a little goat or sheep cheese or some cow cheeses ..

Have a lovely weekend .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:32 am

It's your birthday, do what you want. If you like to spend it cooking a nice meal, why not? If you wanted to bake a cake, it would most likely have been made a day or so in advance, you wouldn't be working on your birthday in any case.

I suspect that most people here would be suspicious rather than grateful if their families insisted that they didn't do the cooking over Christmas (other than offering to take turns at catering)

It shows the difference in attitude to food and cooking. I swore at the radio the other day - some pundit on the future of shopping reckoned that "everyday stuff such as soap powder and food" would typically be purchased online whereas 'important items like clothes' would still be bought on the High Street. I bet she lives on takeaways and ready meals, and muttered something similar at the time.

We're lucky, there are nice places to eat within walking distance, more within a short bus/train journey and taxi or volunteers who will forego the booze - plenty of choice if I choose to go out. Last birthday was a big 'un, coincided with a Test match we went to Lord's and splashed out on a hamper. Sometimes we go away around our birthdays, so we can have a nice celebratory meal out then. This year for example we're off to North Norfolk for a week and a day. The week is a rented cottage, the day is a night at Morston, about a week after my birthday. That will be my special dinner.

Postby Suffs » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:59 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:... This year for example we're off to North Norfolk for a week and a day. The week is a rented cottage, the day is a night at Morston, about a week after my birthday. That will be my special dinner.

:wave

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:46 pm

Living in central London, getting to and from restaurants without driving is not an issue, and there are a few good places within walking distance, so often a celebration does involve a meal out, a friend and I treat each other to a special meal for our birthdays, my next birthday is at Nathan Outlaw's London restaurant in a few weeks

But I'm quite happy to cook, and I have made most of my own birthday cakes over the years - I think I enjoy planning and making them more than eating thek, not a great cake fan

Postby jeral » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:08 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:It's your birthday, do what you want ...[clip]....

I agree as I think it's just mean not letting you (meaning me I guess) do what you want on the one day in the year that you really ought to be able to - i.e. it's an inalienable right!

I'm happy to acquiesce to others' well meant advice if it suits, or alternatively acknowledge and do "their" thing on a different day, of course agreeing what a good idea it was ;)

Mint/choc/vanilla marble cake was the first birthday cake I ever made for myself incidentally - still a fave. I even put completely inappropriate scalloped icing on it just 'cos I felt like it since it was my cake :mrgreen:

PS: That journalist's shopping online scenario seems bonkers. Hopefully it won't come to pass as I'd hate to lose local fresh food shops to pop out to.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:23 pm

Taxi.
Uber.
What ever - it´s your birthday, and you can do what you want to do!!

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:00 pm

It happens to be my birthday today and that means it was our(53rd) wedding anniversary yesterday.

Usually M and I go out for the latter, driven and collected by a family memeber (taxis, what are they?)
Next day either a big family and friends meal provided by M Malavard, our brilliant butcher traiteur.

This year it's different.

Last night I happily cooked for us and the family and tonight we are going to a friend's wonderful restaurant - which happens to be closed on Tuesday's. He has promised us a treat and I trust him.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby jeral » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:01 pm

Coo-er - much to enjoy being your day today and both of you yesterday for which I'm sure you clinked a glass or two :)

Have a lovely meal tonight, and exemplary of you to be chef last night.

So Happy Birthday :birthday-present and anniversary :newhuggy

Postby Pampy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:24 am

Belated birthday wishes, Joan. And Happy Anniversary too!

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:31 am

Happy birthday for yesterday Joan. And the big 53 too.

I'm pretty relaxed at going out - so don't mind a meal that isn't quite to my taste. I get over myself rather quickly at the disappointment.
It has to be pretty appalling for me to moan - eg Carluccios. Jeez that was awwwfulllll.

Husband isn't drinking at the moment, but I'm still sort of the driver.
I tend to pick up the keys and settle into the driving seat. But we don't eat out, where we have to drive.

I don't like to cook for birthdays, no.
We eat out.
It gives us a change of scenery mainly, not really a special event, the memory of which I will treasure.
Although we went to the Champignon Sauvage for our anniversary, and Tony told the chef and wife it was the best main course he's eaten in his life.
Wow!

Postby Alexandria » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:40 am

Joan,

Belated Happy Birthday Wishes & Happy Anniversary too .. :clap :clap :wino :wino

All our best wishes for a wonderfully memorable day and summer ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:00 pm

Happy Anniversary and Birthday Joan, M and Joan!

Postby MariaK » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:50 am

Joan,

All the very best in your 54th year together and your personal New Year.
Many Happy returns.

Joanbunting wrote:tonight we are going to a friend's wonderful restaurant - which happens to be closed on Tuesday's. He has promised us a treat and I trust him.

So what did he provide? if you're not too busy with family.

ATB
Marja

Gillthepainter wrote:we went to the Champignon Sauvage for our anniversary, and Tony told the chef and wife it was the best main course he's eaten in his life.

Gill, I'm shocked !! On your wedding anniversary?? Not very diplomatic

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:16 am

Ha ha ha.
Now that you mention it, yeah, I'm hugely offended. :o

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox