Register

Bargain Basement

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Re: Bargain Basement

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:40 pm

mum-at-the-oven wrote:Annoyingly Tesco have started selling their eggs in plastic boxes again

I almost posted the same comment a couple of days ago! I normally get Lidl these days, but I forgot, so grabbed some Tesco ones as I was passing. I am slightly ashamed now, I think I'll boycott the Tesco ones from now on. Maybe it's just a "one batch" coronavirus glitch.

EDIT: P.S. Coincidentally the eggs were the darkest ones I've ever seen, at least twice as dark as normal brown eggs.

Jealous of that cheap lamb mince, I've had an overdose of keema mutter this week - curiously yesterday I bought a couple of ready made lamb samosas at a "Royal" asian sweetshop, and found that their filling was virtually identical to the keema I had lined up for dinner!

Never had it with fresh peas though, and I always add chick peas too.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:00 pm

Anyone know the Norfolk Mardler? I've not had, or heard of it, before.

Not had it either but I believe it's a goat cheese. We've had a few of the Norfolk local cheeses - very fond of Binham Blue - but don't usually choose anything unpasteurised or goaty. :D

Postby Amber » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:06 am

It’s the same with Sainsburys egg boxes. Apparently there’s a shortage of the pulp used to make the cardboard boxes.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:00 am

Amber wrote:It’s the same with Sainsburys egg boxes. Apparently there’s a shortage of the pulp used to make the cardboard boxes.

I have just come back from a Tesco shop (and a visit to B&Q :limbobanana ) and found all the eggs on the shelves in boxes including my 10 x mixed size organic ones, but those in the bins on the floor were all in plastic.. this included the very cheapest as well as some free range.. :?

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:15 am

Maybe the pulp hasn't been available because kerbside collection (of cardboard in this case ) has been disrupted for a while?

Postby scullion » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:09 pm

maybe they channeled all the pulp into toilet rolls at the beginning of lockdown!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:45 pm

That would be a different grade of pulp I think - but I suspect that the need for disposables and the packaging for them, and for all stuff sold on line has used up a lot of the supply of pulp

Postby jeral » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:50 pm

It might just be that cardboard production and supply has never been geared up for the hugely increased demand for 6-packs if eggs were often sold in trays of 144 to trade eateries.

The clear plastic boxes, being non-printed and not filmed are supposedly an easy one to recycle, assuming any plastic actually is recycled.

Postby Renee » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:11 pm

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:57 pm

I can see it wouldn't be feasible in a supermarket but it's a shame people can't just bring their own egg boxes and take the number of eggs they want.

Interesting article Renee, I hadn't thought of that!

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:01 pm

The farm shop in the next village sells eggs in multiples of one.

Postby Pampy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:56 am

jeral wrote:The clear plastic boxes, being non-printed and not filmed are supposedly an easy one to recycle, assuming any plastic actually is recycled.

Depends on the type of plastic - not all is recyclable.

Postby Renee » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:37 pm

If it has a 1, 2 or 5 in the little triangle on the base, it can be recycled.

Postby Pampy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:24 am

Yes, I know that - but not all councils recycle every type of plastic, so if yours doesn't process a particular type, then it might as well be non-recyclable.

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:00 pm

I didn't realise that Pampy. I did check Chorley after reading about those numbers and they do recycle those numbers.

Postby Pampy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:02 pm

I think that the main problem with domestic recycling is that there isn't a common standard across all the different areas in the UK (and probably the world) so it's hard to know exactly what can and can't be recycled. I often (pre-covid) stay at my sister's house and the rules there are quite different to where I live - and she only lives 30 miles away. She can also recycle food waste which isn't done here. I do wish that the powers-that-be would get their act together and come up with a country-wide, definitive list and work with recycling companies so that they can all deal with as much recyclable material as possible.
Last edited by Pampy on Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:22 pm

100% with you Pampy :clap

Also bigger stuff, our dump, sorry reuse and recycle centre can only reasonably be accessed by vehicle, and less than one third of households round here have one - and most of us non-owners can’t drive so we can’t Zip car

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:12 pm

Right bit of a round up
I did rather well with rtc fish today in Morrison's - trout fillet, coley fillet, 2 lemon sole one of which I've eaten, the rest I've frozen. The second lemon sole is 470 g so I'll have to think about it.

More generally we were discussing hand cream on another thread and I said I found Neutrogena unscented a bit sticky, I've since realised I was using too much, but I've also discovered that Lidl do a copy, SOS hand cream in a white tube with red trim, similar but less sticky. And it's 75p, Can't go wrong really - completely free of anything likely to trigger a reaction unless you are very unlucky.

And today I noticed that Morrison's have a lot the basic Pyrex bake ware on special, a lot of it only £3 a piece, which is excellent, I was tempted by a flan dish but resisted, I've a load bought on special in Woolworth and it was £3 back then

Postby Pampy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:54 am

Lidl have released an app - if you download it, you can get a coupon for £5 off a £25 shop (excludes alcohol and baby food).

Postby Renee » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:45 am

That's no good to me then Pampy, because there's a particular red wine that I really like, but thanks for mentioning it!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox