Register

Bargain Basement

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: BARGAIN BASEMENT

Postby Renee » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:50 pm

Going back to the days when Tesco stuck price labels on products, there were often so many stuck on top of each other you could see how many times the product had been re-priced!

Postby DEB » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:40 am

Do be aware that item can be advertised as a special purchace or sim and there is nor requirement for these items to have been for sale at a higher price. It is down to customer to decide if they are willing to pay the given price. "Caveat emptor" as the saying goes.

Postby jeral » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:28 pm

Kahlua coffee liqueur is on offer at £12 in Morrisons at the moment. It's at least £15+ elsewhere.

Postby Binky » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:59 pm

Look out for the 'market cart' in M&S Simply Food stores.

I bought a large punnet of nectarines for 69p (ripen at home) and a huge avocado, same price.

I think they are competing with the Aldi and Lidl weekly 69p offers.

Postby Pampy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:12 pm

Has anyone used the Approved Food website (approvedfood.co.uk)? It offers food, drink, household goods etc at reduced prices. Some of the stuff is past or close to its "best before" date, some is overstock from other companies etc. As you have to pay for delivery - usually £5.99 a box but they are trialling a reduced rate this month - it's not always a money saver but there are some good bargains to be had. I've recently bought a bottle of my new favourite gin, Bombay Sapphire Star of Bombay, for £20 - usual price is £35. A tip if you decide to buy something - put the goods in your basket but then leave the site without buying them. I did this and the next morning, got an e-mail offering me free delivery and £5 discount, which of course I took them up on. With these discounts and the discounted cost of what I was buying, I ended up saving over £25 on RRP. Worth having a look at.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:22 pm

Not seen that Pampy

Not used it, but a friend is very keen on the Olio app, which distribute leftover food locally, and I know they've had good stuff - beautiful bread for example, you just have to go and get it

https://olioex.com/

Postby Pampy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:12 pm

What a good idea - I'll check it out.

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:51 pm

Good heads - up Pampy :thumbsup

Don't go stocking up too much now tho'...…………….. ;)

Postby Amyw » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:31 pm

Binky wrote:Look out for the 'market cart' in M&S Simply Food stores.

I bought a large punnet of nectarines for 69p (ripen at home) and a huge avocado, same price.

I think they are competing with the Aldi and Lidl weekly 69p offers.

I’ve been using those Binky , some really good offers on. M &S is one of my favourite places to shop . Some of their prices are very over the top , but I think in other ways they’re becoming a bit more reasonable . Their selection of fruit and veg is quite nice , as you say with things like avocados and nectarines , rather than boring bog standard stuff

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:01 pm

Further to my posts a couple of weeks back about fictitious special offers, I see there's been some wrist-slapping handed out on the issue...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49481655

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:17 pm

Good grief, another double take at B&M, their Italian style GROUND coffee is £1 for 250g.
https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/caf ... 50g-283868

That's 4p a cup, where Tesco's cheap and cheerful is 10p a cup. Remains to be seen how it tastes, I've got some beans to use up first.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:36 am

That's a great price.
Well, depending upon what's inside that is.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:43 pm

Just had my first cup of that £1 coffee, and it's quite acceptable. Quite rounded, not too bitter, but there are no high points, it just tastes of coffee, whereas the Starbucks Blonde really does have hints of caramel and hazelnut pushing through - my first cup of it, it struck me that it tasted like it had one of those coffee syrups added, the overtones were so strong.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:14 pm

Ah well. For a pound, it was worth a try.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:58 pm

Ha! Follow up news on the Cheaty Aldi Ad I mentioned a couple of months back - I had to smile, as on Watchdog just now, they said that the Advertising Standards Authority had banned an Aldi ad because it wasn't "like for like" comparison. Also apparently Tesco hit back with their own ads comparing their prices with Aldi and Lidl, and once again the ASA ordered them to withdraw the ads because they hadn't made like-for-like comparisons! Lots of pots and kettles there.

Postby jeral » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:04 am

I heard on the radio that Aldi had had a fall in profit in their last quarter. Might just be people being on holiday. I have received 15% off or £15 off offers from three supermarkets I buy from online hoping to get our money by us stockpiling. Might not be a bad idea if 31 Oct does turn out to be B-Day.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:09 am

That news coverage annoyed me, as it made it sound that they had hit hard times, when all it meant was that they made slightly less PROFIT, which when you look at the enormous amount of new shops they are opening (at one stage I believe I read that they were sinking a billion pounds into new store development), is completely understandable.

EDIT: The Thomas Cook fiasco, when you hear that they need 200 million to bale them out, that is misleading. They actually need 1.1 billion, the Chinese company that has already pledged 900 million says that the figures were wrong and that another 200 million is needed.

Postby jeral » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:20 pm

What I can never get my head round is that companies can build up to being in debt for £millions and often go bust leaving others in the lurch, yet the average man in the street is lucky to get a 30 quid pay-day loan at 1000%+ interest rate. Gotta luv the "someone else's money" get out of jail free system eh?

Postby jeral » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:36 pm

For any Ocado shoppers, lots of offers as all supermarkets have so I'll just mention two:

- Offers on ground coffee (I like Illy's).
- Russell's fresh fish, i.e. salmon pieces, cod and haddock fillets. I reckon Russell's is a cut above.

Postby Otterspocket » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:08 pm

Today’s bargain was a dozen packs of butter for 62p each

Yesterday’s was several packs of squid ideal for salt and peppering for pennies

Getting a chest freezer was a good move for us last Christmas from my parents

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox