Register

Bargain Basement

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Bargain Basement

Postby scullion » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:49 am

Sakkarin wrote: their 100mph chuck everything at you method is disorientating enough.

they used to do that down here but haven't for a long time - unless i've got quicker at packing - i always pack at the checkout - as does everyone else.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:52 pm

Lidl 12 pack of medium eggs - £1.05. How on earth can they do them for that price? It says "New", not "Special offer", so I guess that's the ongoing price.

Other than that, their £2.99 Sauvignon Blanc on offer till tomorrow is quite crisp and fruity, I've grabbed a couple of bottles for cooking with, but I confess I drank a couple of glasses of it last night and it was quite palatable.

They are also selling their Columbian ground coffees for half price at £1.24, although I tried a cup earlier and have to say I think I prefer their French Blend, which is only £1.09 anyway.

Postby Renee » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:32 am

Ooops I've missed that £2.99 Sauvignon Blanc. The wines from Lidl are good.

Postby Renee » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:36 am

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:11 pm

Ha! I wonder if that's anything to do with the 14% ABV! Will have to give it a try.

Felt slightly smug to see that the Scots and the Welsh have to pay £5.44, courtesy of that high alcohol content. Not so smug when I think that they'll probably end up imposing that on us too, which will affect the poorest of us, whilst I daresay having zero effect on the drunks (not the word I was going to use) the legislation is aimed at.

I do like it when the product on my list turns out to be on special offer. Ran out of ancho chilli flakes last night (ccc*), Sainos is selling their 27g jar, usually £1 for 85p, so I bought two. I do hope it doesn't mean they're selling them off cheap because they're dropping the product.

*Chilli Con Carne

EDIT: Hadn't seen that Wine section, useful, however I wondered what the little "1" alongside all the wine names was for, and laughed out loud when I scrolled to the bottom to find out...

Postby Renee » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:34 pm

:lol: Good news about the alcohol content Sakkarin!

I do hope that you will like the wine, in fact I'm sure you will do. I don't pay a lot for wine and prefer to find a good one at a low price. I don't hesitate to spend more on food though.

Yes, it worries me when I see a product which is well reduced. I bought six bottles of Chinkiang vinegar from Booths at a very low price some time ago and yes they were discontinuing it.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:43 pm

SIX BOTTLES! One of my favourite ingredients, but I probably take 2 years to use a bottle up! I'm lucky that there's a couple of places here that sell it.

Postby jeral » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:48 pm

Spice Tailor spice/sauce pod packs on offer at Waitrose, most at £2.20 instead of £2.90:
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/shop/sear ... e%20taylor

I don't know if on offer elsewhere.

Postby halfateabag » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:42 pm

The £2 FR ckx. from Lidl has now been devoured. It was a tad more flavoursome than most supermarket ckx that I buy but again I normally add my flavouring. It was better because the cooked meat was not 'wet' which we find off putting. The last bit of the breast is going in a sarnie for supper this evening. It will not have pickle or mustard so we can taste the meat.

Looking forward to the guinea fowl on Christmas day :yum That is my favourite white meat.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:14 pm

I love a guinea fowl.
Now we are both orphans we can do as we please at Christmas, no obligation to tolerate SFH.
We like to walk so there will be a 7 (or so) miler, home for coffee and showers, a quick visit to the pub if we are allowed then a M&S seafood platter with champagne.

Postby halfateabag » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:47 am

Sounds lovely WW, what's your address and what time are you dishing???? :lol: :lol: Bottle of bourgogne aligot to go with the seafood platter.... :yum

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:14 pm

Hah, not quite enough to go round, zosh ;)

Postby WolfGirl » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:24 pm

I’m rather partial to Brancott Estate Sauvignon Blanc but at £9.50 a bottle I don’t get to drink it very often. In Morrison’s today it was still at that price but if you bought 6 together it cost £30 in total. I think that’s a bargain!

Postby halfateabag » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:45 am

Thanks WG. I'm in Morribobs today so shall take a gander at that bargain. He is very much into his Sauv. Blnc. and we need some white for Crimbo. Although I shall have to 'put it away' for the time being.

Postby halfateabag » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:37 pm

WG I bought 6 bottles for £30 it has been put 'away' together with some Merry Malbec (another 6 bottles). Hope we like it !

The market was open but not many people there. A 2kg tub of mozzarella for £2 so that is a bit of lunch sorted, together with a portion of pork pie, and a slice of smoked salmon quiche.

Bedroom is being put back together - hurrah !

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:16 pm

I had a look at the 6 for £30 in Morrison’s yesterday, and might go back for some

My branch had 3
Brancott Estate New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc
Trivento Argentine Malbec
Campo Viejo Riserva Rioja

All are wines I generally like but I reckon the Rioja is the biggest bargain, Campo Viejo make number of wines - the cheapest is the Tempranillo, yellow label, which is ok but the offer is the Riserva Rioja, orange label, which is usually pretty good

Postby WolfGirl » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:26 pm

Ooh Sue, I didn’t see that one. DD had told me about Brancott Estate so I was looking specifically for that. Love the Rioja so may have to go back!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:02 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:But I have never, ever seen bleach tablets :? Yesterday I made a point of looking for them as I would welcome the opportunity not to buy stuff in plastic containers if I don't have to. I have been re-using and re-filling (plastic) milk bottles with washing up liquid when I can get to the only place I know that does this.

Daughter ordered me the bleach tablets from A$$zon even though they are made by Tesco :roll: :evil:

Quite disappointed at the instructions: 1 tablet is dissolved in 2.5 L water and then must be used IMMEDIATELY !!! It states that 1 tablet is the equivalent to 75ml thick bleach, but doesn't actually suggest making this volume up ..??? (confused of Harefield)

When we were first instructed to sanitise everything that came into the home, I read that bleach is as good at doing this as all the branded sanitising sprays, but at least you could make up a (smallish) amount to the correct dilution for immediate use. :roll:

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:13 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Quite disappointed at the instructions: 1 tablet is dissolved in 2.5 L water and then must be used IMMEDIATELY !!! It states that 1 tablet is the equivalent to 75ml thick bleach, but doesn't actually suggest making this volume up ..??? (confused of Harefield)

If you started with thick bleach you'd dilute around 75ml to 2.5 litres to actually use it I think?
My bottle of Domestos says to add 180ml bleach to 5 litres for disinfection or squirt around 30 ml into a toilet.. Or add 20ml to 5 litres for overnight soaking of white fabric to bleach (whiten) it

Bleach is a very effective disinfectant - really does "kill all known germs" - we used to use it in the lab when we'd been working with biological samples

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:38 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:When we were first instructed to sanitise everything that came into the home, I read that bleach is as good at doing this as all the branded sanitising sprays, but at least you could make up a (smallish) amount to the correct dilution for immediate use.

That's what we still do, laboriously, every time something comes into the house. Today's Asda delivery, from when they rang the doorbell to finally putting the last thing away, took the best part of an hour.
I omitted to clean the frozen peas and beans, just putting them straight into the freezer ... :crossed :D

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox