Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:09 am

With TV dramas I might well have seen them before but rarely remember much, especially (like Suffs) whodunnit, thus I can watch goldfish-like. I'm amazed that Mrs B can remember episodes of US forensic dramas from the synopsis. I would have to watch a programme, at best some bits would look familiar. With regard to the plots being the same, that's true from one show to another - was that bit in Morse, Lewis, Endeavour, Vera, Taggart, Midsomer, Poirot?

Midsomer is amusing because it's filmed in Bandit Country (where the Outlaws come from) and fun to spot the locations, as PP has mentioned. It was much the same with Lovejoy and places hereabouts.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:21 am

Oh yes! My sis lived in the Lovejoy countryside for quite a time and used to spot the location! The other one we look out for is New Tricks, much of it filmed in the Harrow/Wembley/A40 area. :D

Postby mistakened » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:46 am

We play "spot the location", Hatfield House is very popular. There is a path lined with heavily pruned trees that turns up in winter and summer foliage. The Admin building at the hospital where I used to work featured as the entrance to the local magistrates court at one time.
I like watching filming, the time wasted is amazing, it makes the NHS look efficient.
One of my old wards was once used for a small independent film, they were cross when I would not turn the TV off as a couple of patients were watching the racing.

moira

Postby Uschi » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:20 am

Rainbow wrote:We watched Midsummer Murders years ago but it got too predictable and repetitive for our liking!!
Same with Death in Paradise - they changed actors but kept repeating the same plots :lol:

Uschi - Interesting you have the Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries - I really like those shows and have watched them several times. Love Esse Davies as Miss Fisher ('with a wardrobe to die for'!!) and Miriam Margolyes is a great.character

Oooh, the wardrobe!!! And those hats!!! Alas, I have long hair now and would have to emulate Dottie's style for hats, but I really love the outfits and so does Axel. The modern mysteries with her niece are fun, too. The style remidns me of my childhood days and those Malibu-Barbies my friend had.
I have never read the books, maybe I'll give them a try.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:59 am

Renee wrote:With Midsomer, I find that I get three quarters way through, thinking that I haven't seen it and then remember that I have so turn it off.

That happens a lot with me, not just with Midsomer. I usually spend some time watching that to see what has been filmed round where I live. Our CoE church yard is very oftn featured, as well as that of Denham Village :clap

Edited to add that I found a couple of lovely programmes on tv the last couple of days: One was Alan Bennett's Diaries on bbc4 on Monday at 11pm and last night, also at 11 pm on bbc4, The Hidden Wilds of the (M25) Motorway , both probably repeats, but both charming :clap :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:25 am

Midsomer Murders also has one of my pet hates/jokes - a police surgeon who knows everything there is to know about every branch of forensic science, seldom if ever has to send anything for an expert examination, and in one recent episode expounded on the chemistry of traces of plastics left on the corpse’s clothing. Just no.

I spot a lot of locations in and around NE London - and the cemetery park opposite is used as a film location quite a lot, Amy Winehouse’s Back to Black video was shot about 300 m from here

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:37 am

Midsomer was once described in the Grauniad as having 'the dimmest plod in Christendom' . As a consequence, the show is known in this house as 'dimmest plod' :D

in one recent episode expounded on the chemistry of traces of plastics left on the corpse’s clothing. Just no.

Most forensic dramas are guilty of this sort of thing. They find a trace of a chemical and assert that it comes from (let's say) a bathroom cleaner, when it might in fact be used in hundreds of different products and they should be none the wiser. However, these shows are just TV entertainment...

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:51 am

Oh yes I understand that they do it to simplify and the all-knowing pathologist is a staple, it’s just that the MM one is exceptionally cartoonish and she could at least have got a lab report rather than just knowing it

Postby Renee » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:55 am

I agree about Midsomer, but it's familiar comfort viewing for me! I also enjoy looking at the areas where these series are filmed especially Antiques Roadshow.

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:59 am

i have only seen a few of the 'midsummer' murders, at the beginning, with john nettles. i don't remember why we stopped watching them. i've never heard of miss fisher, seen only one or two poirot and none of miss marple - i feel i'm missing out but i did watch all of the detective series, with jack shepherd, that was filmed in cornwall, recognising most of the locations - one was even filmed in the house of a friend at the time.
the location people took photos of the interior, before they started filming, so they could put everything back as they found it and the family had to vacate the house, for a week, from eight in the morning until eight at night. the fee was worth it

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:18 pm

Uschi wrote:We have Midsomer murders back to back on one of the state TV programmes and its offspring.

Just curious. Do they have German subtitles or are they dubbed, Uschi? If the latter, then that's a massive job creation programme for a lot of actors :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:32 pm

scullion wrote:i've never heard of miss fisher, seen only one or two poirot and none of miss marple - i feel i'm missing out

I never understood why itv felt the need to make “Agatha Christie’s Miss Marple” with wotsername when the BBC series with Joan Hickson was as near to perfection as we were going to get. I do enjoy those occasionally though I know them so well now

I’ve not watched Miss Fisher but when I spent a month shut in a small flat with my mum waiting for her to go into a care home Mrs Bradley kept us going, we could both watch it on several levels - I understand that the character in the original books, of which there are 40+, is rather different I mean to try one

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:47 pm

Off topic here but I don't know where else to place it, if you're fed up with The Archers monologues then try these 3 podcasts from the late Nigel Pargetter! :lol:

https://www.thesteepletimes.com/editori ... h-podcast/

So lovely to hear him again!

Postby aero280 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:54 pm

When i worked in Rickmansworth, they filmed a lot of The Professionals in the area, well almost anywhere between Elstree and Pinewood. It did confuse a bit when you recognised a lane in Harefield that they were driving down, then they went round a corner and were driving through Gerrards Cross...

Our local church is the setting for all the weddings on Eastenders.

One of the men who comes to the cardiac rehab gym classes is a taxi driver. Before that he worked for a company that supplied the cars that collected and delivered actors to the studios early in the morning. Then he often waited until it was time to take them home. One day he was approached by the director and he was taken on as an extra and drove one of the taxis in the chase scene in Carry On Cabbie. It was about four days work.

Postby Busybee » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:30 pm

I used to work where they filmed Shameless until it became so popular that they had to build a set to replicate the local area. Filming used to get stopped as people began to gather and watch.

If you look at the background shots on the ‘Chatsworth Estate’ the chimney in the background was the old mill where the NHS placed a clinic, children’s centre and offices.

Our local joke was that people thought it was a comedy series, we thought it more a documentary!

BB

Of course around here we are known for being Herriot Country, although most of the tv series was filmed further up the dales. Pickering high street featured heavily in the film, my uncle worked in the bank and used to help them hold up the traffic when they were shooting scenes. He got invited to the premiere.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:38 pm

Trying to think of a fairly recent TV series in which the army intelligence corps was based in a building that was actually Wycombe Abbey School

Postby smitch » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:51 pm

We get a lot of filming on campus. So far I've seen Coronation Street (a DVD special a while ago), Fresh Meat, Cold Feet and Our Girl. I heard that they also filmed some of the next series of the Crown too, I saw some of the set being removed.

We get a lot of filming going on in the city centre too. The Northern Quarter often doubles as New York- in the past year I've seen set dressing for Das Boot, one of the Marvel films and the Crown. I've also seen a few bits of No Offence being filmed plus a Netflix drama a couple of years ago.

Someone I worked with was in a few episodes of Corrie recently which was quite exciting if a bit weird. They've filmed a bit of Corrie round here too and the (non church) weddings are filmed at a house a few miles away that is owned by the local council.

Postby Busybee » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:19 pm

Manchester Town Hall often doubles for things, I was in a meeting there when it was closed for the Meryl Streep film where she played Margaret Thatcher, it was doubling as the Houses of Parliament.

My OH’s family home was used in Coronation Street, it was the house that Alec Gilroy's posh granddaughter Vicky lived in before she joined him in ‘the street’.

We love watching Car Share, we always shout out which street/road they are driving down. Simple pleasures.

BB

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:46 pm

A lot of Downton Abbey was filmed at Bampton in Oxfordshire, there's a lovely house called Chavenage near Tetbury which appears in things and the main street in Lacock near Chippenham can be made to look like a village a few centuries ago quite easily.

Love it when somewhere you know suddenly appears in something like a car chase!

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:54 pm

Anyone remember the film Genevieve? Most of it was filmed in the roads between Slough, Iver, Uxbridge and West Drayton. It's great watching it now and seeing that some parts (not many) haven't changed - it was filmed in 1953, the year I was born! :o

Moira, I know you weren't based at Harefield Hospital but that too often pops up in flims - Carry On Films usually. :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox