Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:09 pm

No rain here, and boy do we need it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:09 pm

I thought we were going to get another heavy shower about 4 o'clock, which would have been a shame as I was locked out, and waiting for the locksmith to come back (I have a new security lock fitted 2 months ago)

He opened the lock easily, which I couldn't do, and he thought, as I did, that it was due to the door frame swelling slightly in hot humid weather. Took him about 4 minutes to move the bit attached to the frame just a little. Problem probably solved,

Postby Rainbow » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:00 am

Suffs wrote: OH has just arrived home ...his manager sent him home a bit early as he cycles and she didn’t want him to get caught in the rain. :thumbsup

What a thoughtful manager :thumbsup

Postby jeral » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:26 pm

Stokey Sue, locks can be a best friend or worst enemy! My Yale type lock can be double locked, but if done so from the outside a person inside is locked in, Doh.

Can you reclaim the locksmith's fee from the original supplier given it's normal to order a "supply and fit" so even if they used a subcontractor, he's their agent rather than independent. Security locks aren't cheap so a poor show really. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

Postby Pampy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:29 pm

If the problem with the lock was down to a swollen door frame, it wouldn't be the responsibility of the installer to sort it out.

Postby Jrc123 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:23 am

Hello. Will post later in the week but my best friend died on Tuesday.

We had been mates for 35 years. He and his wife were due to come round for an al fresco lunch (at safe distances) on Saturday. He was perfectly well the day before. He was taken ill on the Saturday morning, taken to hospital, transfered to ITU on Sunday and died Tuesday lunchtime. Nothing to do with COVID.

Obviously there will have to be an inquest but we are all still in shock. :(

Postby dennispc » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:59 am

Shock indeed. His poor wife and family. Feel so sorry for you all. Words are not enough.

Postby Suffs » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:43 am

So sorry to hear your sad news. Condolences to all.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:58 am

So sorry jrc.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:51 pm

What a terrible shock, jrc. I'm so sorry. :newhuggy

Postby Seatallan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:04 pm

Oh jrc- that's terrible. So sorry.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:09 pm

jeral wrote:Stokey Sue, locks can be a best friend or worst enemy! My Yale type lock can be double locked, but if done so from the outside a person inside is locked in, Doh.

Can you reclaim the locksmith's fee from the original supplier given it's normal to order a "supply and fit" so even if they used a subcontractor, he's their agent rather than independent. Security locks aren't cheap so a poor show really. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.
Pampy wrote:If the problem with the lock was down to a swollen door frame, it wouldn't be the responsibility of the installer to sort it out.

It kind of was the installer’s fault as he knew of the swelling problem and could have left a bit more space for it in the first place
Anyway he popped round and made the adjustment in minutes at no charge in minutes.
This is why I use my local independent locksmith, cheaper in the long run

Condolences jrc :newhuggy

Postby Lokelani » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:44 pm

What a terrible shock for everyone JRC. So sorry.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:06 pm

Sorry to hear your news JRC.

Condolences to all.

Postby jeral » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:19 pm

Stokey Sue, good ho :thumbsup

Jrc123. Very sad news.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:07 pm

I'm so excited : As I am now allowed out on my own ;) I decided to try a local butcher who, since lockdown has had rave reviews on one of the local FB groups. I also needed petrol and the cheapest round here was also in the same village (Ickenham) ..

I came away with: a whole FR chicken, a pork chop, some lamb, a lamb and mint pie, some herby sausages all wrapped separately in leak-proof, freezable bags and a total cost of £30 :thumbsup. I am now spoilt for choice for lunch today, but am settling for the pie, with new potatoes and peas :yum

Postby Suffs » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:27 pm

That butcher sounds like a real find Pat :thumbsup

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:27 pm

I will definitely be a regular :thumbsup My lamb consisted of a barnsley chop and a neck fillet. I had asked for neck, or scrag end of lamb, to be told that it's the wrong season. Too hot apparently, hence the neck fillet. My next question was whether he had any bones. Missed the boat this week as on a Friday, the local Police station take all the bones for their dogs :roll: And they include lamb bones. However, I think a phone call next week will secure me some :thumbsup (Oh, and the son threw in a lamb shank foc !) altogether not bad service for a first time customer :clap :yum :yum :yum

Postby Renee » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:44 pm

I really envy you having a local butcher Pat, with such good service! It isn't often that people get anything thrown in for free! I'm sure that you'll be able to organise the bones for next time.

You mentioned a Zumba class on another thread. I am really missing my Zumba and dance classes at David Lloyd. Because of my age, I am not sure if I'll be going back to the gym when it opens.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:11 pm

Renee wrote:I really envy you having a local butcher Pat, with such good service! It isn't often that people get anything thrown in for free! I'm sure that you'll be able to organise the bones for next time.

You mentioned a Zumba class on another thread. I am really missing my Zumba and dance classes at David Lloyd. Because of my age, I am not sure if I'll be going back to the gym when it opens.

I can't believe I only heard of this butcher since lockdown ... I used to live in Ickenham but that was more than 20 years ago.. He's definitely a keeper :thumbsup

re Dance classes: My Zumba instructor records a couple of classes a week for us to watch at our leisure. It is a private video system called Vimeo. The charge is £10 per week for the 2 ... and you can watch as many times as you like during the week. These are mainly Zumba Gold, nothing too 'frantic' but enough for me to work up a sweat.

Fitsteps is now being done live on Zoom 4 times a week. I do Tuesday and Thursdays.. and Zumba on Monday and Friday .. all at 10 am (I just find it easier with continuity)

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox